Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: A wonderful painter....
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 10:21 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

And I love how Tolkien paints the picture so beautifully but leaves so much for the immagination. It is no wonder there is so much speculation on his works.

Also, there is something about the flow of his stories. They slip off the tongue and are a joy to read out loud.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10th, 2007, 1:16 pm 
Ent
Ent

Oh, very much, indeed, Sinbearer. Tolkien does paint a picture of the story in your mind, but lets you decide what else you want to see. I think that's part of the beauty of Tolkien's works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 6:50 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

This may go to far, but whoever wrote that the elves' original home was the Undying Lands is incorrect. I think. We know that they always want to go there, but really, it's like Heaven; we know it's there, but no one (excepting Jesus) has been there and come back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 7:42 pm 
Ent
Ent

You may have a point, there, ErulisseGreenleaf. I think the Elves weren't originally from the Undying Lands, but were created with the longing for it already instilled in them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2007, 2:57 pm 
Vala
Vala

Actually, I don't think they had it in them from the start--I would say that they moreso began to yearn for it after the Valar summoned them. Then the longing began.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2007, 6:25 pm 
Ent
Ent

I think the Elves always knew they would someday go to the Undying Lands, but when they went was their choice to make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2008, 11:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I find that a common misconception is that when they leave, they die. It's not true, because they sail to Valinor, which was physically removed from Arda, by Eru himself, because the Numenorians became to greedy and sailed into the west when they weren't supposed to. That's basically what caused the fall of Numenor, but I won't get into detail. :( Below is a map of how the world would have looked before the fall of Numenor.

Everything is still the same by the time Aragorn becomes king, except Valinor (a.k.a. Aman) is in the sky, and there is no Numenor. The boats the elves who never left the sea (name not coming to mind) make have some special and magical quality to them that gives them the ability to sail to Valinor.

Wife of Beren

Last edited by Precious on January 9th, 2008, 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2008, 7:30 pm 
Ent
Ent

I don't think I've ever heard that before. Thanks for the map, Precious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2008, 7:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

No problem! I read it actually in an encyclopedia about Middle-earth. Here is an Amazon look at it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0025334 ... eader-link

It's quite interesting, and has a lot of really nice pictures and illustrations.

Wife of Beren

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2008, 10:12 pm 
Ent
Ent

Thank-you again, Precious. I'm sure all of us here appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 5:52 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

they go to the grey havens

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2009, 1:45 pm 
Ent
Ent

I believe the Silmarillion tells how the elves were created by Iluvatar (they were his Firstborn Children) by Cuivienen, in Middle-Earth. Actually I don't have the book by me so I probably spelled it wrong. Anyway, the Valar decided they were going to invite the elves to Valinor, but some were afraid, so they sent Orome (sorry about the lacking accents guys) to talk to them, and then Finwe, Elwe, and Ingwe went first (this is when Valinor is still in the world) and came back and told all their people about it. Most of them decided to go, becoming the Eldar, and of the ones that got there they were the Noldor (Finwe's people), the Teleri (Elwe's people...except he ended up with Melian) and the Vanyar (Ingwe's people). Anyway, after Valinor got removed from the circles of the earth by many occurences, the elves could still travel there, but no one else could. They have the power to find the Straight Road. I believe there is a passage citing ancient historians who described it as "All roads are now bent." Which is why it became like our world and if you sailed far enough you'd just come back around. The elves may still travel the straight road and come to Valinor, where it's kind of like our Paradise, yes. Also when elves die they go to the halls of Mandos from whence they may, in some random circumstances after many ages that aren't elaborated on, return, unlike Men who simply go out of the world and go on. The halls of Mandos are in Valinor too, technically, aren't they?

^ Sig set by Goldy!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: where do the Elves go??
PostPosted: August 13th, 2012, 11:58 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

In The Silmarillion, it says there is a place that they sail to. The Undying Lands, or Valinor. That's where the "gods" of Middle Earth live, the Valar. That's where the Istari, or wizards, came from, and where Frodo goes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7