Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Was Boromir weak?
Poll ended at September 6th, 2008, 5:57 pm
He was weak. No question. But he was there at his father's bidding. Give the guy some credit! 36%  36%  [ 30 ]
I don't think he was weak. I think he was strong. 59%  59%  [ 49 ]
He was terribly weak! I mean, c'mon! You didn't see anyone else trying to grab the ring every second they had a chance! 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 83
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2008, 10:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think that Boromir was a perfect example of the weakness in men, he was foolish and tried to steal the ring, but I think he was able to redeem himself in the end.

Set 1: Nurr | Set 2: Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2008, 11:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think that he was merely coming to - more becoming the Sméagol side again.

Wife of Beren

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2008, 9:56 pm 

I really like what Maethoriel said. I'm positive I've posted in here before defending Boromir's character by trying to prove that he is not a weak character. However, I'm now seeing him in a different light. He must have some amount weakness in order to be human, because in truth, we are all weak in some way. His weakness was power, but in the end he was able to redeem himself for succumbing to that weakness by giving his life for Frodo's cause.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2008, 1:09 am 
Balrog
Balrog

I think that Boromir was strong, but as has been said, he had his faults. The others in the fellowship weren't as affected by the ring I think because they hadn't seen the true damage Sauron was doing. Boromir was living in Gondor right next to Mordor, and they were always having to push back to forces of evil. Meanwhile, the regions to the west (excluding Rohan to an extent) were somewhat blind to all that was going on. I mean, they knew the evil was there, but... they didn't have to deal with it actively.

To an extent, I think Boromir felt entitled, and this probably wasn't helped by being his father's favorite. His pride plus his desperation to save his people drove him to covet the ring, which was his downfall. I felt sorry for him. So much rested on his shoulders.

But at his end, he was able to redeem himself. He realized what he had done, scaring Frodo, and did his best to save Frodo (and Merry and Pippin). That makes him admirable in my mind. He may have messed up big time, but for the most part, he was honorable and strong, though with the faults and weaknesses that plague men.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5th, 2008, 8:14 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Boromir was strong in a physical sense, and a smart warrior in a tactical sense. He was also head-strong which was a trait he got from his father Denethor. This, in the end was his weakness when he fell to the ring. Fortunately, he redeemed himself doing what he did best... fighting. Too bad Aragorn, Gimli, & Legolas weren't able to get to him before he fell. It was quite likely he had learned a valuable lesson and would have been a better man for it.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 17th, 2008, 5:30 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Of course he was weak. He was totally weak and he felt a connection to the ring nobody else did.

But this could be because of this: He is only a human and everyone, no matter how "strong" he seems falls to the ring somehow (Galadriel and Gandalf did, they tried to push it away, but I believe they also wanted to take the ring. They didn't take it to save themselves, even Sam did (more in the books) however he seemed to be loyal to Frodo, he wanted to keep the ring after carrying it)

And after all, Boromir stayed loyal to the company of the Ring. He beated the temtation of taking it. He defended Frodo and the Hobbits and also died in defending them. So, was he that weak after all? I don't believe this. He only felt what I believe every member of the company did. It wasn't his fault after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16th, 2008, 1:24 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

i think Boromir was very very weak. But at the end, when he basically lays down his life for Merry and Pippin, he totally turns around and wishes he could do things over with Frodo. So, i vote very weak, but at the end, I am a fan of him, and am sad when he dies. :'(

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 18th, 2008, 12:00 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

he was a strong man that was why the ring affected him first

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2009, 5:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Location: In my library, unconvering dark and mysterious secrets...

I think he was strong and kind of arrogant. But when he stole the ring, it wasn't entirely his fault. The ring affected him. In the end, he did redeem himself. He gave his life for Frodo.

Thanks Nurratiel, *Ennostiel*, PD, and Githoniel

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11