Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2009, 2:17 pm 
A-U's Official Tolkien Scholar

"You'd be having fun too, if you hadn't decided to climb up on a roof and get yourself shot," Kjan felt the need to point out. "Hopefully we'll be back relatively soon, and then I'll fill you in on anything I find out."

Before meeting Filyk anywhere, Kjan returned to their quarters. He nodded shortly at Silvryn, who was already up and looking over something in the common room, then stuck his head into Ash's room to inform him that they were leaving in five minutes. That accomplished, he went back to his own room to retrieve his cloak and his knives. The weapons were mostly just a precaution - as was taking Ash along, for that matter - but he'd learned that it was unwise to follow a stranger anywhere alone and unarmed.

Nine-and-a-half minutes later, Kjan arrived at the front gate with Ash in tow. A brief argument with the guards ensued - Kjan was getting tired of being treated like a prisoner - and ended only with the reluctant distribution of several hard-earned coins. After a moment of searching, he spotted Filyk waiting impatiently further down the street and made his way toward the boy.

"Filyk, this is Ash. Ash, Filyk. Filyk is taking us to meet some potential new friends."

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 4th, 2009, 11:56 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Filyk was not inclined to be impressed by royal livery.

He watched Kjan's transaction, fingers breathlessly tapping the keys of his flute, lips pursed. A passer-by, a petty Lord astride a gelding, wrinkled his nose down at Filyk's recycled garb, at odds with the gleam of his instrument. He knew it. He stared right back.

By the time the noble was swallowed by the nearest bend in the street, the flute was in Filyk's waistband and his long-fingered hands were dangling by his sides. He nodded, a jab of chin towards chest, at the blond man's - her ladyship's brother's - introduction, and swept his eyes once down the third addition to their party.

Rebels were not so different from the dregs of society Filyk knew, he concluded. Outside the finery of the palace, they reminded him of the same men who spent most of their days sprawled at a table in a tavern.

He grinned, once, flicking his eyebrows up at the other man. Ash. "'m warning you. Your friends won't be nobles."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2009, 12:33 am 

"We prefer it that way," Kjan assured him, unconcerned. Only a handful of the members of the rebellion were of anything resembling high blood. "Members of the nobility tend to be too afraid to get their hands dirty."

He surveyed the streets, only just beginning to fill with normal morning activity. Everyone seemed a bit more subdued today, but that was somewhat to be expected. All they knew was that the Regent was dead, the Phantom had been shot, and nobody was telling them anything.

"Can we get moving, then?" he asked. "I'd rather not loiter around in the street for too long. It's not really common knowledge that our death sentence has been lifted - actually, I don't even know that that's official - so it'd be nice to avoid any unfortunate mix-ups."

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7th, 2009, 12:24 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

"Nice for me, too," said Filyk, deadpan. He turned his back on the gates.

Two streets over, their train of three passed a row of shops, and Filyk slowed his progress momentarily to jab a finger at what looked an innocuous dark outline of a bird on the pitted window. Sagely, he said, "It's to save birds hitting the glass."

The next avenue down - and two birds later - he added with a flippant gesture, "Look closer, sirs, and you'll find it's a falcon."

That done, he settled into an easy lope, not glancing back to see if they followed.

Following their journey through a stirring Y'rydha, akin to a hive of bees waking from drugged slumber, they were welcomed by a squat, ruddy dwarf of a brick inn. Black granite glinted, hidden in the red. It stretched semicircular arms around into a courtyard, and from beneath the lintel of the door floated the scent of eggs frying.

Filyk twirled his fingers, flicking his flute from his waistband to flourish it in a bow. "Gentlemen," he said, "the Diamond in the Rough."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7th, 2009, 11:22 pm 

It really wasn't a bad little place, Kjan concluded as Filyk led them in. The interior was fairly consistent with the exterior - small, strictly functional, but well-maintained enough. Certainly not as bad as some places he'd visited. A handful of guests were already down in the common room, but Filyk didn't stop at any of the tables. Instead, they were led back to the kitchen, where they found a middle-aged woman moving about hurriedly.

She glanced up upon hearing the door open, then started rolling out a mound of dough. "Bit early to be beggin' scraps, lad," she said. "Haven't even served th' meal."

"My friends require lodging."

The woman paused to assess them more closely, then went back to work. "Right. Key's hangin' on th' usual hook. Mind you're quiet about it. Last thing we need right now is people askin' questions."

Nodding, Filyk retrieved the key and led them further back to a narrow, disused staircase. Instead of going up to the rooms, as expected, this one seemed to go down into the cellar. Kjan motioned for Ash to go first, checked behind them out of habit, then followed after.

"Who, exactly, are we meeting here?" he asked quietly as they descended. "Your leader, or a representative?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13th, 2009, 12:25 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

For the benefit of anyone who happens to be lurking and reading:

After some discussion, those of us involved in this RPG have decided that it's taken us as far as it can in this form, and we (specifically pirateoftherings and I) have moved on to start novelizing it. We felt that our plot needed reworking to a degree that couldn't be achieved here, but hopefully will be in said novelization.

So, all that to say, if you happened to be reading and you would still like to keep up with our progress, please pm potr or me and we'll be more than happy to make sure you know what's going on. Long live Phantom :)

- Melda

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Phantom Grey - Original Fantasy RPG
PostPosted: September 27th, 2014, 10:49 pm 
Vala
Vala

I know this has been dead for a long time, though its novelization continues, but I think it deserves to be bumped back to the front page so that fresh blood can read this and admire it.

To any novice RPGers, or at least to those of you who weren't active back in the heydey of Phantom Grey or Star Crystal, let it be known that you should read through these archaic adventures! Learn from Arwen-Undomiel's greatest quests. Above all, flood the inboxes of Meldawen, Pirateoftherings, and Lady Dark Moon with questions about their progress on novelizing these various masterpieces.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2014, 11:54 am 
Vala
Vala

Wow, this is a blast from the past. I usually just lurk on this site to read old RPGs, but I felt I had to comment on this (my first comment in years :P). I left this rpg about a third of the way through but I still remember it as one of this site's greatest. I was still a budding rpg-er when I joined (and not the most articulate writer) but I felt so welcome among all the other players. I especially remember being so impressed with the quality of the other player's posts. They helped inspire me to become a better writer. Phantom Grey was a load of fun to play in, even though I didn't play the entire story. I'd love to read the novelization of it.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2014, 1:24 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I remember this. I dropped out early on. I was daunted by the awesomeness of the other rpers, that I later felt that I was rash with my character and didn't fit in. But it gave me a goal to reach as a writer, which is a bar I keep raising as I get better.

But I also would love to read the novelization of this!

PostPosted: October 26th, 2014, 11:50 pm 
Mageling
Mageling

This is my FAVORITE POST OF THE MONTH (year? years? it's been so long :() It is so great to see you all :)

Also, I still remember your characters!!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 27th, 2014, 11:00 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Lady Dark Moon? When I got a notification that someone posted on this thread, I did not expect to see LDM! I have to say, in a way, I see you as a legend! As well as potr and Meldawen. I'm sorry if that was too much. But that's how I felt way back when, and I've yet reason to believe differently. Makes me miss the old days of this forum, and the role playing there used to be.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2014, 12:07 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

That's because LDM is a legend. :) I used to get so excited when I'd see she'd joined an RPG. I'm so touched that you guys felt that way about us and Phantom! Thanks for replying!

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80