Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: One Good Reason (Private RP)
PostPosted: October 29th, 2012, 6:19 pm 

Liam hurried to Guin and drew her in his arms, holding her silently as she told him what happened. He cursed loudly when she showed the red marks that Lord Caithair had left on her skin. A spark of anger kindled inside Liam. What was this for man who would treat a woman in such a way? Such a man was not afraid of taking a step too far to get what he wanted. The thought that he had been compared with this monster not too long ago seemed only painful, inexplicable.

He felt Guinevere's heavy breath against his shoulder and felt her trembling in her arms and vowed that no one would hurt her anymore. “I will make sure that that man will never lay a finger on you ever again," he whispered in her ear, voicing his vow. "Lord or no Lord, I won’t let him treat you in such a way.”

Upon hearing Guinevere’s protests, Liam laid his hands on both her shoulder and looked at her, eyes filled with stubborn determination.

“What kind of man would I be if I did not defend and protect the woman I loved? It would make me a coward, a man without honour and I am neither of these. Too often I’ve been told what I cannot do. I’ll take care of this, so don’t you worry about it.”

Liam paused for a moment, hoping that Guinevere would leave it at this. He wanted to take care of her, to shield her from any more hurt. He wouldn't fail at this. He hesitated whether he should trouble her with even more bad news. But he realised that Guin needed to know. If they were to depart from England as soon as possible, she needed to know the King's men were still searching for them. Liam took Guin’s hand and gently pulled her closer to him. In a whisper, he told everything he had heard that evening.
“So, it’s of the utmost importance that you talk to his Lordship in the morning,” he concluded.

Liam sighed. They already had so much misfortune; he only wished that fate would be kind to them from now on.

“Come on,” he said quietly to Guin. “I will bring you back to your room..”

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 8:16 am 
Maia
Maia

“No, I can’t go back to my room,” Guinevere insisted quickly, shaking her head. She held onto Liam’s hand, her face even paler than usual. “The door… the door doesn’t have a lock. I cannot be alone there, by myself.” She could quite easily suspect anything of Lord Eagle; what if he burst into her room, whilst everyone else in the house was asleep and unable to stop him? The thought was unbearable, and made her visibly shudder with disgust and fear. When she looked up, her eyes were luminous with unwanted tears. She blinked, and they spilled down her cheeks; she didn’t bother to wipe them away, since more would probably follow.

“I told you that I came here to see you,” she told Liam quietly, but with growing resolve. “I need to see you, to be near you. So I’m not going anywhere. All the redcoats in the world could not tear me away.” She stroked his hand, the determination and stubbornness showing in her eyes despite the tears. Knowing that the king’s men were still looking for them, still hunting them, only made her want to fight harder against adversity. “I’m staying. No arguments allowed.” With a small courageous smile, she reached out and lightly brushed her fingertip over the corners of Liam’s lips as if to turn them upwards. “I don’t want to be afraid anymore."

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: November 25th, 2012, 4:43 pm 

"Alright," Liam answered, giving Guinevere a small smile. "You can stay in my room. I will stay with you and make sure nothing happens to you." He took her hand and led her up the stairs and to the attic room. "It's a bit cramped," he said, apologizing, while he seated Guin on his bed and draped his blankets around her shoulders. He then sat down next to her, so she could lean against his chest and sit comfortably.

It felt good, having her so near to him. It was good not having to look over her shoulder when he was holding her, to talk to her. But it wasn't like before or how he had hoped they could be together. He wanted them to be free, free from fear or despair, not running and hiding, while the grief of Cairbre and Rosalind's death cast a shadow over their lives. This Guinevere, who lost the love of her life, was not the Guinevere he had fallen in love with. He missed her jokes and stubbornness. The woman, he had laughed and fought with, seemed to have disappeared. Liam's only hope for her recovery was their return to Port Royal. It was their only chance to forget the past and create a new future.

Liam quietly stroked her hair, while listening intently to any noises on the corridor. If he was caught with a Lady of the house in his room, things could get unimaginably worse.
"Just sleep" he whispered in Guinevere's ear. "Everything will be better in the morning.. I promise."

PostPosted: November 26th, 2012, 3:53 pm 
Maia
Maia

(Guess what dearie! :-D Tomorrow it will have been a year since we started OGR! :hug: *throws celebratory glitter*)

“I don’t want to sleep.” Guinevere turned in Liam’s arms so that she could look up at him properly. “Because then it’ll be morning, and I’ll have to leave.” She hated the thought of starting another day in fear and apprehension yet again; she wanted to feel free as she had once done. She had never been a woman to be entrapped or caged, as she was within the walls of this house. Guin needed to be in control of her own destiny.

Tomorrow, when it came, she would make sure to speak with Lord Autumn. Nothing would prevent her this time. She knew that the indulgent lord had come to look upon her almost as a daughter, and would not refuse her this request for a passage to the Caribbean. Guin slid her hand onto Liam’s chest as she thought things through, longing for their escape now more than ever.

“I wish we could hear the sea,” she said suddenly. The blankets slipped down from about her shoulders as she turned fully towards Liam, her face brightening at the very mention of the element so beloved to her. “Don’t you? The nearest beach is a good several miles away.” Lord Autumn frequently talked about his dislike for the ocean, as if it was some sort of beast that should be feared and shunned. He also fully supported the theory that no sailor should ever learn to swim, in the belief that the sea could not be cheated. To Guin, that was sheer nonsense; but then, everything about his lordship was nonsensical to her.

“We should go and seek it out.” She leaned forward, taking Liam’s hands in hers. “Tonight.” She shook her head to any possible objections. “Don’t you want an adventure? To feel the blood charging through your veins, to know this is what it feels like to be alive?” For so long now, she had felt dead. She had to reclaim her life back, even though her heart was heavy with unbearable loss and grief. She could not let go and lose who she was; it would be a betrayal to Cairbre, who had always said that her life was precious.

“I command it,” she said simply, that old glittering twinkle sparking in her eyes, as immeasurable love swelled in her heart for Liam and Cairbre both. “After all, I never officially gave up my title as captain.”

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: December 18th, 2012, 7:34 pm 

It was a clear autumn's night and the full moon illuminated the green hills near the sea. An intense joy flowed through Liam's body, clouding his head with recklessness, as he felt the wind in his hair and smelled the saltiness in the air, which he so strongly associated with the ocean. He urged his horse in a faster gallop and he watched Guinevere riding next to him on a white mare, with a look of exaltation on her face. She looked happy, genuinely happy, and much more like the old Guin.

They had 'borrowed' the horses from Lord Autumn's stable; it were two beautiful purebreds, probably worth a fortune. But Liam didn't think of how the stolen horses could be added to his list of crimes, if anyone found out. Nor was he realising the dramatic consequences if anyone in the house noticed that Guinevere was missing and it looked like he had abducted the Lady of the house, under the noses of a regiment of Redcoats in town. Somehow these risks seemed trivial right now. It seemed more like a challenge to tempt fate. After all, what good had cautiousness brought him? He had kept his feelings for Guinevere secret until it was too late and he had never told his sister why he had so suddenly disappeared from her life, as he in the end was too much ashamed of it.

At the faint sound of waves in the distance, Liam turned to Guin; for the first time in weeks a happy smile lay on his lips. He had not felt so free for a long time and somehow a great burden fell off his shoulders. He reached out his arm to take Guinevere's hand, while he slowed his horse down.

"If we only had a ship ready to sail, then all would be perfect.."

PostPosted: December 19th, 2012, 7:16 pm 
Maia
Maia

Guinevere turned her head to smile at Liam and squeezed his hand, her spirit soaring at the sound of the ocean. She was so happy that he had agreed to her idea; now they were here, wasn’t it so worth all the possible risks and dangers? Here, she felt unthreatened by the redcoats and by Lord Eagle. Here, it felt as if nothing could touch them. With ease, Guin swung herself out of the saddle, landing on her feet like an agile cat.

She patted the white mare’s neck, letting her go and graze on the grass. She took a deep breath in, inhaling the salty softness of the air; she closed her eyes, letting the moment sink in. It felt as if she’d been away from the ocean, locked up in Lord Autumn’s house, for an age. Opening her eyes, she looked first up at the inky midnight sky and then at Liam. Her lips curled upwards, and without so much as a word she darted off down the sandy slope towards the beach, lifting her skirts above her ankles as she ran, her laughter exhilarated.

She was a fast runner, with an athlete’s speed and a dancer’s grace. Before long she had reached the smooth, moonlight pale sands, and she kicked off her shoes before making a rush straight across the shoreline into the sea. She didn’t care that she’d be soaked. Stepping into the wild, rushing waves was like a baptism of sorts, cleansing her of her fears.

“Come on, Liam!” she called out to him joyfully. “I’m waiting!” She laughed as another set of waves engulfed her, flinging her arms wide and tipping her head back.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: January 13th, 2013, 4:13 pm 

Liam laughed out loud as he watched how Guinevere plunged into the waves. She pulled her dress up, showing her stockings, not caring about it not being appropriate for a lady to do so. That was what he had loved so much about Guin from he moment he met her: her independence, her passion and will to do everything her way. She had never bothered with appropriateness; the forced chivalry and civility had been Eagle's cup of tea.

He swung from his horse, but as soon as his boots touched the sand, Liam petrified. In a flash he was back on the cliffs, thoroughly soaked. It was dark, but he could hear the waves crashing on the shore and smell the same salty air. In his arms lay Guinevere, still and hardly breathing. Her skin was cold..so cold.

Liam abruptly returned to the here and now and realised that Guinevere was calling for him. Unbeknownst to why he remembered this fatal night at this very moment, he tried to regain his happy mood of before and shrug off the feeling of impending doom.

Throwing his boots on the dry sand, he ran into he ocean. He took Guinevere's hand and planted a kiss on it.
"Promise me that you will never leave, that you will stay with me.."

PostPosted: January 25th, 2013, 3:33 am 
Maia
Maia

Guinevere turned towards Liam with a smile as he joined her; she was soaked from head to toe, but she didn't care at all. Her damp hair was plastered to the sides of her face, and her skirts clung to her legs; imagine Lord Autumn's reaction if he saw her now! Eccentric he may have been, but he still clung to the ideas and values of how a lady "should" behave, and Guinevere was currently breaking them. It was an utter joy to be free of the cage that was the lord's house; even though he had showed her nothing but kindness, she still saw him as her captor. That was who he would always be. And as for Lord Eagle... no, it was best not to think of that dreadful man. Not tonight. She could not allow any dark thoughts to enter her mind.

Guin's expression softened when Liam spoke to her and kissed her hand. She reached out towards him to gently touch his face, smoothing her fingers back into his dark hair as she met his eyes, her own gaze bright and vivid with honesty. "Of course I promise," she said softly. She moved closer and wrapped her arms around his waist. "I promise you, Liam." She was aware of another wave rushing out onto the shore, engulfing both Liam's feet and her own. Leaning forward, she touched a sweet, lingering kiss to his lips, wanting to show him the truth of her words.

After a few moments, another larger wave came soaring towards them, this time making Guin lose her balance; laughing, she clung on to Liam, only just managing to prevent herself from falling over. The next wave, however, knocked them both off their feet; Guin found herself on top of Liam, both of them sprawled in the sand and absolutely dripping wet. Another person might have shivered with cold and started complaining, but Guin was Guin. Her laughter echoed joyously into the night as she grinned down at Liam, pushing a strand of wet hair back from his face.

"Look at you," she giggled, "and look at me! I think I've ruined a fortune's worth of silk." She indicated her expensive gown, not in the least troubled that she'd damaged it. She moved over and sat up, helping Liam up too with an arm around his shoulders. "A very small fortune that is." Guin could price almost anything at a glance; that was a necessary skill in piracy. She threw her damp mane of hair over one shoulder out of the way and winked at Liam, her spirits still high.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: February 19th, 2013, 7:35 pm 

Liam laughed, and as result almost swallowed a mouthful of salt water, as another wave crashed down on them. He helped Guin onto the beach, before falling down again on the dry sand. He shivered slightly and quickly wrung the water out of his shirt. It was then that he realised that the shirt and the trousers he was wearing were Cairbre's. It somehow made him feel very uncomfortable and he wondered if Guinevere had noticed as well.

Somehow he had been thinking a lot about the other Eagles, ever since Cathair Eagle had arrived. Perhaps, because it had been his daughter, who had compared his character to that of her father or because his son had always treated him with the same contempt. Both brother and sister had been like family to Guinevere and had hated him, the intruder. Unlike Guinevere, he did not have the time to mourn them, after all that had happened. Even now, he was not exactly sure how he felt about Cairbre and Rosalind’s deaths. Before, Guinevere had been lost from his world, getting married to the love of her life. Now.. everything could get back to the way it was.. But could it? Some things can never be forgotten, some things will not change.

Liam stared further down the beach. There were no cliffs here like in Devonshire, but rows of sand dunes, with wild meadows behind them. Twenty miles down the beach line was the nearest port, located in a small bay. He had seen it on one of the maps of the county, which he had stolen from Lord Autumn’s library when no one was there. He had wanted to familiarize himself with his new surroundings and he had almost memorized it by now. Liam looked at Guinevere, who looked happier than he had seen her in weeks. Her happiness was contagious and Liam couldn't help but smile and enjoy the beauty of nature and the delicious taste of freedom.

"What if we left now?" he said suddenly. He took both of Guinevere's hands and looked at her inspired by this sudden revelation. "We could take the horses and leave for town and try to find ship for the crossing next thing in the morning." How tempting it was to leave everything behind and to leave for their home right now. Liam knew that it was everything Guinevere wanted. "We just ride down the coast line and-". Abruptly he stopped in mid-sentence, his eyes fixed on the horizon to where he had just pointed.

In the moonlight, he could discern several dots on the beach, moving at speed in their direction..

PostPosted: April 25th, 2013, 9:01 pm 
Maia
Maia

Guinevere’s smile faded as she too caught sight of the riders approaching them. For a few moments it was as if her feet were rooted into the sand, unable to move despite the obvious danger. She was very still and seemed quite calm; under the moonlight she almost resembled a marble statue. She could scarcely believe what was happening, and deep within her, a fierce anger was burning up inside. What did this ambush mean? Was it the accursed redcoats, come to bring them to so-called “justice”? She could not allow history to repeat itself. She simply could not. With this thought, she was shaken out of her reverie and into action. Reaching out, she grabbed Liam’s hand and held onto him tightly, turning her face towards his. There was no time for them to run away, but they could stand their ground together.

“Whatever this is,” she said quietly, “I won’t leave you. I vow it.”

The riders were soon upon them, crashing across the sand now at an alarming speed. The first rider flung himself down from his horse, landing straight on his black-booted feet. A cruel smile twisted the features of his face as he removed his riding gloves, approaching Guinevere and Liam with a sense of purpose. It was none other than Cathair, Lord Eagle, who had followed and tracked them down. He was accompanied by two grim-looking men who appeared to be his servants.

“Well, well,” Cathair remarked. “Who would have believed it? The lady and the servant. Now that’s just not very appropriate behavior for one of your station, is it, Lady Callihan?” He paused, taking hold of Guinevere’s wrist. “But then, you’re not a lady. And you are most certainly not a Callihan.” He leaned forward with a sneer. “Lord Callihan is a good friend of mine; and his daughter… is a blonde twelve-year-old.”

Guinevere snatched her wrist away with a frightening force; her expression was one of pure, unadulterated fury and hatred. “Keep away from me. You don’t get to touch me.” She shoved Cathair’s shoulder roughly, unafraid of the consequences. “Do you hear me? You do not get to follow me, to touch me, to try and intimidate me! You’re right: it’s not some frightened little gentlewoman you’re dealing with. You have no idea what you’re dealing with, you pathetic man.”

Cathair’s eyes flashed with anger, but he made no attempt to try and physically subdue Guinevere just yet. It was clear that there were a few things he wanted to say before that. He seemed almost to be enjoying himself. “Oh, that’s right,” he said. “I’m dealing with a pirate – well, two pirates, if I must be exact.” He indicated Liam. “You see, I’ve been keeping close contact with local authorities, and they say that they’re on the lookout for two wanted criminals. And you two fit the descriptions perfectly.”

Guinevere stayed close to Liam’s side, saying nothing. Her skin was a little pale, but she betrayed no fear; she would not let Cathair have the satisfaction of seeing any. It sickened her to the core to be forced to listen to the speeches this lord had prepared, but she had no other choice. Staying silent, she stroked Liam’s hand gently, hoping to calm and soothe them both.

“There’s a reward in it, you know,” Cathair continued. “But I have no such vulgar interests. My interests lie elsewhere. I’m told that there are already two other pirates kept under lock and key. Your associates.” A sneer curled his lip. “You know who I’m talking about, don’t you, miss Elliot? For one of them was a lot more than an associate to you.”

There was a long pause as Cathair let his words take full effect. Guinevere slowly shook her head. “You’re lying,” she whispered. “I can’t believe one word that you say.” She truly did not believe his words, and was incredulous that he would sink to coming up with such a cruel lie. It made her hate him even more. “If you say one more twisted, vile word, I will throttle you with my bare hands.”

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 5:04 pm 

[ Meet my new charrie, Ciaran Archer. ]

Liam felt nauseated. He had been in many precarious situations, but only few as hopeless as these. Usually, he was able to talk himself out of it or make himself indispensable somehow. Inadvertently, he thought of the time that he had tried that approach and failed aboard of the Hell Hound. An ominous foreboding, that this would end up the same way as back then on that devil’s ship, mastered Liam. He could not let that happen, not to Guin. He squeezed her hand as well, hoping that she would understand that he was working on something.

His eyes quickly scanned the scene, not listening to Cathair’s words, analysing it bit for bit to find their chance to escape. All three men were armed. Cathair was occupied with taunting Guinevere, but then there were still his two accomplices. One looked dim-witted, but the other, clad in black, seemed more intelligent and looked rather cunning. Liam was also painfully aware of the dagger in his boot, which he had just put on. He had taken the knife just in case and that seemed the only sensible decision he had made that night. Their horses were at least thirty feet away. So their only opportunity for now was surprise and speed.

As a warning, he squeezed Guin’s hand three times, before ducking to the ground and grabbing his dagger. “The horses, Guin, run!” he shouted. How he longed to take his dagger and drive it all the way through Cathair’s dark heart. He was not this man. He would never be so cruel, so selfish. Liam lashed out and the knife sunk deep in Cathair’s thigh. It was a strategic act: if he would have killed the English Lord, all hell would break loose; Cathair’s accomplices would kill them instantly if they were caught. With Cathair injured, they would perhaps delay their pursuit. Liam gave Lord Eagle a little push so that he bumped into his servant and then sprinted after Guinevere.

--------------------

A man, clad in black leather, stood a few paces behind Caithair Eagle. His appearance was quite extraordinary: a sword belt with a sheathed sword and silver hilt was clasped around his waist. But in his dark attire he did not look like a Redcoat at all. Ciaran Archer was anything but a Redcoat. He was not some footman in the service of a foolish king. Nor were his clothes as refined as those of Lord Eagle or embroidered with a family crest to indicate nobility. Instead, with his dark-rimmed eyes, earring and extravagant rings around his fingers, he looked more like a well-off vagabond, who’d seen many places. Following, Cathair Eagle’s example, Ciaran Archer had quickly dismounted his horse. Now, he silently observed the scene, his lips curled up in a mocking grin and one hand resting on the hilt of his sword.

When Liam launched forward and in one smooth movement injured Cathair and shoved him into his accomplice, Ciaran did not hesitate for a moment. He had expected this; they always resisted. The half-blood looked quite savage and untamed, but that would change soon enough. He quickly mounted his horse, not interested in the haughty English Lord or his servant. They could go to hell for all he cared. All he needed were the two runaways. There was a large reward on both their heads. He urged his horse in a quick gallop and smiled. They could never get away.

He reached their horses before them, dismounted his horse and blocked the path of the fleeing couple, while drawing his gun from the inside pocket of his long coat. “Ah, ah, I wouldn’t do that if I were you, boy,” he said in a condescending tone as Liam prepared to charge with raised dagger. “I could kill you and your bonny lass even before that blade would touch my skin and then you would both be dead.” He smiled cruelly. Ciaran approached Guinevere, while still aiming his gun on Liam. “Now I can see that you’re quite intelligent, m’lady. He lay his arm around Guinevere’s shoulders and continued with sarcasm now clearly audible in his voice: “Even though you like to be in the company of the lowest scum..”

He could see that Liam was boiling with anger, but tried his hardest not to lose his temper. “Good," he said scoffingly to Liam, "you’re already learning your place.” As Guinevere quickly shrugged off his arm from her shoulders, his smile widened. “But I am a fair man and I will offer you a choice. You see, nobody really cares if we take you dead or alive. So you can try to run again and force me to kill you. Killing him won’t be hardship to me. Hell, they will even reward me from getting that off the streets. But it would pain me to kill such a lovely lass like you.”

There was a tinkling in Ciaran’s eyes as he spoke to Guinevere. He was enjoying this game and he especially enjoyed winning it. “The other option,” he said, rummaging in his saddlebag, “is that you come quietly without resistance. I’ll get my reward and you’ll stay alive – for now. Win – win for everyone don’t you think?” Ciaran chuckled and with a flamboyant wave, he pulled two iron hand shackles from the saddle bag.

“So tell me, beautiful, what will it be?”

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2013, 5:58 pm 
Maia
Maia

There was only one choice, and it cost Guinevere dearly to be forced to accept it. Silently, she held out her pale hands to be shackled, looking Ciaran squarely in the eye. As far as she was concerned, this man was nothing more than filth; he was a bounty hunter, and to a pirate, such people were detestable on a par even with redcoats. “Get it over with,” she said shortly. She lost none of her dignity even in surrender, even though inwardly she felt sick and almost overwhelmed by an intense despair. This was far, far too much like what had gone before, on that fateful day when the king’s men had arrived at the house on the cliff to put her and Cairbre under arrest.

She vividly remembered how Cairbre had gone out to meet them, even though he knew what was to happen. He had hoped to give her a chance to escape, even if it was too late for him. But Guinevere had gone out and joined him, stood her ground and stuck to his side like glue, wanting to share their fate together instead of turning away and running alone. The memory of that day was unspeakably painful. She could still remember the sensation of those iron shackles around her wrists, biting into her skin.

She did not let herself shed a tear or even flinch as the new pair of shackles was clamped onto her wrists. How could this happen again, after everything they’d been through? After so much hurt and suffering? In a sudden flash of certainty, Guinevere knew that she could not give in. Her destiny did not lie in the hands of others, those who wanted her hanging from the end of a noose. By hook or by crook, she had to find a way out for herself and Liam. She had no idea what it was yet, but the road to town, where the sentence of death waited for them, was a long one. The journey would surely provide ample opportunity to find a way out, at least she hoped so.

After a few moments, she turned towards Liam, her gaze very steady, and a slight smile taking hold of her lips, a smile that Ciaran could not possibly understand or decipher. Liam would understand that she was not giving in, and that she did not believe that this was the end. She loved him so very much, and hoped with all her heart that he would share her fierce to desire to fight and to live. With her shackled hands, she reached out as best she could and gently touched his face, completely ignoring Ciaran and his obvious disdain for them. In the moonlight, her eyes shone very brightly.

After a long moment, she stepped back and glanced at Ciaran as if he was nothing more than a speck of dirt. “Well then?” she said quietly. “How do you plan to transport us to town?”

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: May 17th, 2013, 7:51 am 

Unlike Guinevere, Liam couldn’t manage a smile. He cherished the light touch of her hand on his skin, but his gaze was dark and his characteristic grin, which had been absent a lot lately, had now entirely disappeared.
Even though this man had seemingly left Cathair Eagle to his fate, this only proved how ruthless he was. This man seemed to be capable of anything and they were now at his mercy. But not for long, Liam thought. No matter what happened, he would make sure Guinevere would get out of this safely. He had sworn it; he would find a way, even if it would cost him everything.

~*~

Ciaran chuckled at the sight of Guinevere’s proud expression. Yet underneath that calm and dignified façade, there was anger. Ciaran recognized her hatred, he knew what she had to be thinking, but he dismissed it. “Don’t be cross with me love,” he said with a grin, while his gun was still pointed at Liam, who had to fasten the shackles around his own wrists. “You chose the route of piracy, but you should have known not to show your pretty face here in England. Pirates are considered as a species that has to be extinguished.” His lips curled up in a wider grin and the glanced at Liam. “Just like all the mulatto's”.

~*~

The last words of the man still ringed in his ears and Liam felt the last bit of self-control slip away. His flirty behaviour towards Guin, insults addressed to him and his obvious joy in catching them collided and caused a wave of rage. Liam did not have a plan, nor did he have the faintest belief that his actions would ensure a safe escape, but all he knew is that he wanted to make Ciaran stop, stop humiliating both him and Guin. Liam launched himself forward. He had been forced to throw his knife away, so he had no weapon to charge Ciaran with, except for his bare fists. However, the man had somehow been expecting this, as he took simply one step sideways, so that Liam tackled nothing but air and fell with a dull crash on the dry sand. All air was pressed from his lung due to the hard collapse on the sand, so by the time Liam tried to scramble up, he felt Ciaran’s boot on his back, forcing him to lie flat in the sand.

“Do you have a death wish?” the man sneered. Liam responded by a wild attempt to kick his captor as he growled: “Get off me you-“. But his protests immediately seized as he felt the barrel of the gun against the back of his head. “One move,” Ciaran said softly, which gave his voice an even more threatening sound. “Or another word, I swear, and I will end your miserable life.”

Liam slowly put his shackled arms in the air as sign of surrender, but he didn’t risk to speak a work. Ciaran dragged him up again and whispered in his ear: “Very wise choice..” Then, as if he had changed his mind, he unlocked Liam’s shackles before fastening them again but then with Liam’s wrists shackled at his back. Liam glanced at Guinevere, but quickly looked away again. If he didn’t watch out his own stupidity and temper would get them both killed..

~*~

Ciaran turned to Guinevere to answer to her quiet remark. “That’s a very good question,” Ciaran said playfully, in such a way, as if Guin had only asked him something about the weather. “Luckily, there is a very simple answer.” He whistled and the two horses of Lord Autumn slowly approached. “I believe you lovebirds know how to ride.”

Only a few moments later, all had mounted their horses. Ciaran had extended the reins of both Guin’s and Liam’s horses with a long rope, that he kept tightly in his hand. He had also secured Guin’s shackles to her saddle, for safe keeping. As a sort of caravan, they got into motion, riding slowly across the beach, while morning drew near. Ciaran stretched his arms and sighed. “Don’t you just love the beach?” he asked Guinevere sweetly. “It makes you feel so.. free.”

PostPosted: June 10th, 2013, 4:39 pm 
Maia
Maia

Guinevere’s gaze pierced into Ciaran’s back as he stretched his arms out and babbled on at her, clearly trying to make her angry. She already despised the man, and if she had been able to would have been sorely tempted to strangle him with the long rope he held. He was treating her and Liam, especially Liam, like dirt. Guin promised herself that when the opportunity came, she would make Ciaran pay. For now, she remained silent, keeping up a calm and cool exterior and ignoring their bounty hunter captor entirely. Hopefully he’d soon get the message that she wasn’t about to start engaging in conversation with the likes of him.

Giving her horse a very slight, gentle nudge with her leg, she was able to steer it closer towards Liam’s, so that they could ride side by side and perhaps have the chance of exchanging a word or two. She could tell that his mood was dark and that he did not have much hope for their safety. It made Guin’s heart ache to see him that way. It tortured her to see him humiliated by Ciaran. In this terrible situation, she had to be strong not only for herself but for both of them. She owed it to Liam, who had taken such amazing care of her, who had looked after her and renewed her hope.

Guin smiled gently at him as they were led along the beach, wishing that she could touch his hand; as it was, her shackled wrists had been secured onto the saddle, making her sway slightly as she tried, mostly successfully, to stay upright. “Liam,” she whispered to him. “It’ll be alright. Trust me.” The sea breeze whipped about her hair, which was still damp from the ocean. She attempted to flick it back out of her eyes, which was a near impossible task, and so her vision remained ever so slightly obscured. “We'll survive, my love. Don't doubt it."

To keep up her courage, she did her best to remember that throughout the years of her life, she had endured things just as bad as this. She had been smuggled out of England. As a pirate, and a captain at that, she had stared death in the face countless times, dodged the gallows on several occasions. This couldn’t be the end, not when she’d been so lucky in the past. She was lucky to even be alive, she realized. Hers had been a life of almost constant danger, and she’d seen it through… unlike Cairbre and Rosalind, she thought. A painful lump began to form in her throat, and tears stung her eyes despite her best efforts not to let them.

She blinked, keeping her head up. She had to be brave no matter what. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a vivid memory popped up into her mind. It was summer in the Caribbean and she was twenty years old, with a teenage Rosalind standing eagerly by her side.

“Of course you can do this, Guin. You’re one of the most courageous people I’ve ever met. And we trust you.”

“Enough to be your captain?”

“More than enough. You’ve got a fire inside you and it can take you anywhere. I swear, I’d follow you anywhere. To hell and back if needed.”

Where had that come from? It was a conversation she hadn’t remembered for years. She’d hold onto it though. She needed every ounce of bravery that she could get. By hook or by crook, she and Liam would make it through this situation, together. And by God, in the end she’d make sure that Ciaran was punished. And Cathair Eagle too, if he should ever rear his evil head again.

A fierce gust of wind suddenly unsettled her slightly in the saddle, making her sway a little more violently than before. She hung on grimly, hoping that Ciaran would keep quiet and not use this occurrence as an excuse to mock her again. It would be a long journey, for sure, if they continued like this. But that was good. A long journey meant a chance for escape. In any case, she decided not to let her struggle to keep upright bother her too much. She flashed a smile at Liam. "We'll never reach Devon at this rate," she whispered to him jokingly.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: July 21st, 2013, 6:16 pm 

Dawn was soon approaching. The sky was still a dark shade of blue, but in the east the first hints of purple were visible, indicating that another day would soon start. Liam could only hope that the next day would be better than the last one. The morning always brings something to be thankful for. That’s what Aileen used to say. She firmly believed in this. She used to joke about it, saying that she had wished for a brother and that the morning gave it to her. In fact, it had been Lady Gray who dragged him down to the servant’s quarters, handing him over to one of the maids –Aileen’s mother-, stating that apart from burying her brother, she couldn’t handle raising a child. He had only been six, grieving for his father, when he was thrown in a new life. Aileen was five and her mother had just lost a baby boy. They had immediately accepted him as one of their own, as family. But his mother and sister were dead now and only God knew what the morning had in stall for him...

They had to escape before reaching town. But how..? The bounty hunter was armed at all times and they were bound. They could try to bribe him, except that they had nothing to bribe him with; no leverage, nothing up their sleeve. “We need to come up with something, with leverage” he whispered to Guinevere. Usually it was Guin’s speciality to charm and talk people into something they would not even consider if he’d asked. “Listen,” he said in a steady, but soft voice. He tried to lean in the direction of Guinevere but with his hands shackled behind his back, he hardly could keep his balance. “You should go and talk to him. You need to convince him to let you go. Promise him whatever he wants. Gold, liquor, a ship for all I care. I know you can get it for him.. He’s not a man of the law, so he will be interested." Liam was silent for a short moment; Ciaran didn't seemed to have noticed they were talking. "This is your window of opportunity. Find out if Eagle spoke the truth, set up a plan.. It's our best shot."

-----

Ciaran had been silent for a while, as he had been deep in thought. Eventually, he leaded the horses to a stream parallel to the road and brought the horses to a halt. “Lets take a short break from our little school trip,” Ciaran said while dismounting his horse and stretching his limbs. “We cannot have dehydrated horses, can we?” He drew his pistol once again and untied the knot that secured Guinevere’s shackles to her saddle. “Don’t be too long, beautiful… We will leave soon. Meeting Mr. Eagle is not on today’s schedule. Perhaps that is one thing we can agree on.” He grinned and winked to Guinevere.

He then walked over to Liam, took his arm, so that he could let himself drop off the horse. In the first morning light, Ciaran noted a glistering when Liam got off the horse. “What have we got here?” Ciaran said thoughtfully. With a smooth movement he pulled a leather lace with a silver crucifix from behind Liam’s shirt. Ciaran just started at the silver cross for a while and then looked at Liam; his gaze was hard to read. “You don’t know this country..” he stated. Ciaran pulled the leather lace from Liam’s neck and put it in the pocket of Liam’s coat. “Better not lose this.” He then turned and walked away to get his water bag.

----

The harbour is a busy and crowded place. To anyone who just passed by it was a dirty and noisy place, from which they wanted to depart as soon as possible. But not for Timothy. He knew all the docks, every corner or crack in the road by heart, which was the reason that he practically lived there. The dock yard provided background music day and night which to strangers and visitors was just a confused and deafening noise. But Tim had got to know it and distinguished half a dozen distinct sounds which made up that inharmonious and yet not unpleasing whole.

Tim walked the street with a slow pace, exploring his way with a wooden cane that tipped from left to right, searching for obstacles. He could smell that the tide was low, as the smell of rotting seaweed and harbour mud in the sun filled his nostrils. It had to be close to noon then. To his left order were shouted in the ropery and to his right fishermen were- “Ouch!” Tim’s foot got stuck behind what felt like a pile of wooden crates, that now swayed dangerously.

With a dull thud Tim fell to the ground. Two fishermen approached, cursing loudly. “Watch where you're walkin' , you fool! Do you want to pay for a ruined market load?” The smell of fish was very strong now. Tim mumbled a quick apology. “Do not let me see you here again, lad” the other one warned. Tim groped around, in panic, to find his cane and sighed out in relief when he found that it had rolled to his left. He quickly scrambled to his feet and regained his composure. Even proficient made mistakes. He had come so far since the accident, six years ago. Sometimes, he congratulated himself for still being alive. He partly attributed his survival to his wits and cleverness, but the for the rest he had just been lucky.

By this time of day, folks that crowded the streets were diverse. Street boys were cadging for small errands to run, sailors made sure the ships were docked, while the dockers unloaded the merchandise and heavy loads from the to the docks. Workers made long days in the shipyards or the warehouses, while merchants and traders went about their business. And sometimes even a wealthy businessman from the east India Trading Company would show his face in the- “Good Lord!”

For the second time that day, Tim staggered, but this time he tactically remained in balance while leaning on his cane, while a middle-aged (by the sound of his voice) well-to-do man had toppled over after his collision with Tim. “Well, I never.. Can’t you see where you were walking?” the man spluttered. “My, dear Sir, I am so sorry,” Tim said, in a tone full sorrow. “I am blind, you see.” He extended his hand to help the man up and started to brush the dust and mud off the man’s expensive silk coat. “Is there anything I can do to make this up?” The man finally seemed to recover from the shock. “No, I fine, I’m FINE. Leave me.” He pushed Tim aside and walked away.

Tim continued his walk, faster and determined, making sure that there was great distance between him and the business man, who had walked in the opposite direction. He stopped at the corner of the street and waited there for a while. A smile had appeared on his face and he felt slightly self-satisfied. She had followed him. He recognized the sound of her quick pace, her sweet scent and the sound of chinking coins.

“Well, I have to say that it’s a relief to hear that you’re back,” he said to her with a grin. “It is usually so disappointing to be double-crossed.”

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 2:46 pm 
Maia
Maia

Guinevere had agreed at once to put Liam’s plan into action. It was surely their only chance, and not one that she was going to pass up on. The notion of actually having to exchange words with the bounty hunter disgusted her, but it had to be done. Ciaran may have sneered at Guin and Liam as criminals, but he himself was not exactly a law abiding citizen. It was as obvious as the daylight. Ignoring Ciaran’s wink, Guin led her horse over to the stream so that it could drink it’s fill. Bending down, she cupped her hands and collected some water for herself, lifting it to her lips and draining it all. It seemed so long since she’d last had anything to drink that it tasted as good as nectar.

She straightened up, drying her damp hands against the skirts of her gown. Ciaran was distracted, looking for his water bottle. Guin walked past Liam and covertly touched his hand, giving him a little smile and the smallest of nods to show that she was about to do as he’d said. If this plan succeeded, then freedom would be theirs. Quietly, Guin made her way towards Ciaran, her wrists aching due to the tightly secured shackles. She could not wait to be free of the horrible things. Raising her hands, she lightly tapped Ciaran on the shoulder.

“Excuse me.” Her voice sounded out clearly and without a hint of fear. “I believe that we two need to have a little talk.”

She led him over to a fallen tree where they could sit, not daring to glance at Liam in case she gave their plan away. She seated herself with the utmost dignity and grace, so very unlike a prisoner that it was jarring to look at her shackles and remember that she was indeed a captive. She leaned forward and spoke softly. “Have you thought about what you will do when Lord Eagle catches up with you?” she queried him. “Because believe me, he will, eventually. And he won’t be happy that you robbed him of two prize prisoners.” She shrugged her shoulders gently. “And what’s in all of this for you, at the end of the road? A measly little bounty sum? If you’re given it at all? I can promise you more than that, if we could come to some arrangement.”

She let a slight pause reign before continuing, her eyes gleaming. Guinevere was indeed a rich woman, although she had her money safely put away overseas. Gone were the days when pirates buried their hoards of gold in sand and came back a few years later. No – Guin was a businesswoman, and as such, had put the greatest proportion of her savings into a bank in New York. She was more than well equipped to deal out bribes. “Money is no object,” she said persuasively. “If you were to see that you lost my companion and I along the way to town… your reward would be considerable. Enough to get out of England if you so wished.” She smiled. “You are a marked man as much as we are. Don’t pretend otherwise.”

~~~

“Well, I have to say that it’s a relief to hear that you’re back. It is usually so disappointing to be double-crossed.”

Smirking, Bathsheba clinked the coins in her hand, pleased with herself. Another pick pocketing well done, even if she said so herself. She stowed the money away in the pocket of her oversized man’s coat for safekeeping and joined Tim at the corner, hitching herself up onto the little wall so that she could sit down for a few moments. She would never admit it to anyone, but she enjoyed stealing from people far more than she should. Money had always been one of her favorite things. One upon a time she’d had it in abundance, no questions asked when she wanted some in order to buy a new dress or some such thing, but nowadays she had to work for it.

“You should have more faith in me,” she remarked complacently. “After all, I know when I’m onto a good thing. With this pretty little lot we’ll have enough to be able to eat breakfast today, and maybe lunch too. Think of that, Tim.” It was strange to remember the old days, back when food had been a given, whereas now she might go whole days without getting a thing to eat.

“We could buy some cooked fish maybe,” Bathsheba continued, her pretty face lighting up at the very thought. It was nice to be able to share her excitement with someone. Again, she would never have told Tim this, but she liked working within a partnership. Not only did it double the money “earned”, but she was never at risk of growing lonely. “The last thing I ate was half an old apple. What about you?”

~~~

It was utterly silent within the prison cell as the morning light shone down through the thick iron bars, although it was occupied by two inmates. They did not need to speak to communicate now. Throughout the day they were nearly always guarded, which had taken away their taste for talking when they would only be overheard and mocked. The woman, who was curled up into a corner, her arms folded around her legs, seemed to be in a bad way, rocking herself back and forth. Her long, dark hair was a wild tangle of knots, nearly obscuring her entire face. Every so often her shoulders would shake, as if she was weeping. Her feet were bare and grubby, and one of them was missing a toe.

The man, however, appeared very calm as he stood by the prison bars, one hand resting against the wall. His blue gaze was steady and far off, indicating that he was deep in thoughts that took him far, far away from the confines of this cell. He was disheveled and unshaven, but he still retained his dignified stance, his air of elegance. He looked as if he belonged anywhere but here. Long moments passed before he glanced over his shoulder, checking that the guards were not back yet. He looked down at his fellow inmate and gave her a soft smile.

“Rosa,” he said gently. “It’s morning.”

Rosalind raised her bedraggled head and looked up at her brother. Her own blue eyes were rimmed red from near constant crying. All the same, she managed a small smile in return for him. She loved her brother so much; and she was utterly overcome by guilt, believing that this whole situation was her own fault. She knew that Cairbre did not believe that, but that did not lessen her guilt at all. “Morning again,” she mumbled, her voice croaking slightly from lack of use. “I wonder where she is now.”

Rosa did not have to specify who “she” was. They both knew. Cairbre took a deep breath and closed his eyes. “I wonder that too,” he whispered.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next