Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently May 28th, 2024, 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Short Story Contest
PostPosted: June 5th, 2005, 11:33 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Okies, I am going to copy this from the last post:

Okies, this is my first short story contest, so if you have any suggestions on it they are appreciated! There are only 5 spots for contestants so enter fast! spots can be saved if you need.

Requirements:
* Can not be more then a page long (printing wise)
* Must be a story about LOTR, POTR, Star Wars, or any thing else (talk to me about it)
* There can only be 2 Star Wars Stories considering this is a LOTR forum
* First come first serve!
* If you are going to mention or write about someone on this forum make sure it is ok with them
* Can only submit one story
* Must have prologue
* You can included a picture to go with your story

Contestants (6):
* Arien Elensar
* pirateoftherings
* Herenya
* Corwin
* Amoniel
* LaraelGreenleaf
[s]If you are interested in entering, reply here or PM me. I warn you, though, if you PM me I don't check it as often and you may not get your spot depending on how many want to join.[/s] All the spots are taken!

I need your stories by MONDAY JUNE 13th or a different day if you have my permission with a good reason (going on vacation, grounded for no apparant reason, just plain busy, want to make your story great so taking your time, ect)[/s]

Last edited by celestine on June 14th, 2005, 11:01 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2005, 10:06 pm 
Maia
Maia

I'll join... is it ok if i do a Harry Potter story?

Hello, I'm Amoniel
[/font]
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2005, 2:31 pm 
A-U's Official Tolkien Scholar
A-U's Official Tolkien Scholar

Okay, here's mine (again):

Will hammered the last piece in place. Setting his tools down, he stood up and stretched. He had been up all night repairing a jail cell that had been damaged in a recent attack on the port.

“You finally done making all that racket?â€

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2005, 6:28 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Sure Amoniel, and thank you POTR. We are now full and have 6 people, i had one extra request.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2005, 3:43 pm 

Okay........heres my story. I hope its not too long:

Prologue
"Bye honey, be safe, I love you," Jaclyn called to me amidst her tears as I boarded the airplane that would take me and my troops to Haiphong, Vietnam.
She blew me a kiss.
"I love you too," I called back.
I entered the plane and took a seat next to my good friend, Shawn Josten. He gave me a grim smile. I sighed and looked out the window at Jackie. I felt badly about leaving her alone, her bieng pregnant with our first child. The child that won't get to see her father when she is born becuase her father will be in Vietnam.

The Letter
(9 months later, Christmas Day evening, Vietnam.)
President Johnson's speech crackled over the television speakers, as we bustled around the barrack handing out Christmas gifts. Shawn dropped an envelope into my lap.
"This came in the mail today, Merry Christmas," he whispered.
"Thanks Shawn," I said back.
"Not a problem, sir."
Curiously, I turned it over. There was no return address, just a Leutinant Brandon Traston, Haiphong Vietnam in scrawled handwriting.
The boys began to sing (partly because it was Christmas and partly becuase they were drunk) and so I folded the envelope, slipped it into my pocket, and got up from my chair to join them. We began to sing Jingle Bells in loud, rough voices.
"GO TO SLEEP BOYS! WE HAVE TO MAKE AN EARLY START TOMORROW!!!!!," Captain Roderick yelled from his sleeping quarters.
The dial is turned and the television switches off. I climb up onto my bunk as someone turns off the lights and clicks on the ol' radio to help us get to sleep.
I take out the envelope again and rip it open, unfolding it I hold it close enough for me to read.
December 16, 1969
My dearest husband, Brandon,
Merry Christmas! I hope you are safe and having as wonderful a Christmas as you can have in Vietnam. I feel so lonely without you and I miss you terribly. I wish you could come home right this minute.
So much is happening over here. Mother and Father are staying with me and helping out with your newborn daughter, Caroline Anne Traston, two weeks old, born on December 4, 1969, at 2:24 am. She was 6 pounds 2 ounces. I wish you could see her, she looks so much like you.
I pray for your safe return everyday. I love you and always will.
Your loving wife,
Jaclyn
A tear falls from my face and hits the letter, causing the ink to run in a river of black down the paper.
Silent Night plays over the radio. A few of the men begin to sing, but I can't sing. All I can think about is how I want to get out of this God forsaken country because I've got a family back home waiting for me.

I hope you all like it.........I spent forever on it and i had to take loads of the story out so that it wouldn't be as long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2005, 3:46 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Oh wow, it is awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2005, 10:58 pm 

Thanks.......I was a little hesitant about putting it on here, but I said hey, whats the worst that could happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2005, 6:53 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Well don't worry, I think it is great and lots will like it, same with yours, POTR. I need your stories by next Monday for those of you who haven't already submitted yours. I know there are a few people entered who don't know about the forum change and who havent created their new accounts. Those people can submit their stories up to four days after they get back on track. If you need more time, please PM me and we will discuss a date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2005, 7:10 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Larael Greenleaf wrote:

I hope you all like it.........I spent forever on it and i had to take loads of the story out so that it wouldn't be as long.

Do you still have it? Maybe if others are interested you can post the rest for fun, or for your story since what you have is about a fourth of a page long.

Sorry for replying so late, I have been busy with other stuff and hadn't had time to work on this contest much :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2005, 10:03 pm 

Thats okay......I think I'm going to keep it the way it is though.......or maybe I'll add it. I'll think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2005, 12:36 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Alright! You have time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13th, 2005, 6:56 pm 
Elf
Elf

Well, lol my story is a page on Microsoft Word so I hope that counts.

My tale is based upon Greek and Roman method of naming flower after significat tragic deaths and the like. An example would be the tale of Narcissus. Narcissus was a beautiufl lad who refused to fall in love with any maiden. The goddess Nemesis made him fall in love with his reflection in a pool. He woudl not look away from his reflection and so he died. A lovely flower bloomed on the spot where he died and it was named after him. You can read more of this and other stories in the book "Mythology" by Edith Hamilton.

Well anyways, on to my story. NOTE: Then name Arien is just councidental, the elvish meaning of it matched her appearance and it sounded greek like so I used it.

PANSY

In a woodland realm far off in hill-country, there lived a man by the name of Aphroshne. He was the son of a farmer and therefore took up his fathers work after his passing. He wedded the daughter of a merchant by the name of Dione.

There marriage was blessed with a daughter; strong and bold. She had hair as dark as a river at night and skin of palest gold; and eyes dark and fiery. They named her Arien.

No less than a year later, Dione bore him a son. Yet he was a weak, delicate creature. Many times his mother could be heard: “Oh Pansy my sweet why do you cry so?â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 10:59 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Thanks! We only need the stories from these people:
* Herenya
* Corwin
* Amoniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 4:21 pm 

I loved your story Arien!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on your 100th post!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2005, 6:01 pm 
Elf
Elf

Thanks Larael!!! I really appreciate that. :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2005, 2:11 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Hmmm, well I guess since the others haven't come back yet we will just post the stories we have in a poll :confused: . I will go to set it up now.