Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently June 16th, 2024, 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trash thread?
PostPosted: July 12th, 2006, 1:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

On other forums I have been on/run whatever, we have had trash forums. (It isnt viewable to members) And isntead of deleting threads that are harmful, or locked, they go into the trash forum. It prevents the post count from going down for the members, and the over all posts on the forum. And then in case of future refrance, it can be retrieved.

On another site, they had an archive, so if there was a question in the FAQ(or in our case Suggestions and Comments) that was locked it was moved to the archive, so it could be viewed by the members, in case they where looking for an answer of something. and again, it keeps the post count from going down. it cn also be retrieved by the mods, so they dpont have to repeat themselves and what not.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2006, 2:51 pm 
Maia
Maia

i like that idea! it sounds good to me!!!

<center>“Envy consists in seeing things never in themselves, but only in their relations. If you desire glory, you may envy Napoleon, but Napoleon envied Caesar, Caesar envied Alexander, and Alexander, I daresay, envied Hercules, who never existed.”
at one point, I was alejandrah.

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2006, 5:55 pm 

Quote:
we have had trash forums. (It isnt viewable to members) And isntead of deleting threads that are harmful, or locked, they go into the trash forum. It prevents the post count from going down for the members

-points to the cleanup/post count threads already existing here-

Ok, one more time, the ONLY posts that were or would ever be deleted were those against the rules, ie foulness, and/or one word/smilie posts or Very, very off topic posts. As to keeping a trash section, there is no need to keep worthless threads or offensive ones. If they are not within the rules, the offender does not deserve to keep their post counts for that thread/post. Sorry folks, but you also need to remember...Arwen is the finances behind this site, tis not fair for us to ask her to hold onto irrelevant and/or rule breaking threads for ever and always, possibly causing the fees to increase, cluttering the forum, and simply taking up space on the site. Anyway, possibly keeping some locked threads is a good suggestion, ...but I do think we have most of those on record already, some viewable to members, like how mods are chosen, rules, a few lists, etc...and some only viewable to the moderators.

Last edited by tindomerel on July 13th, 2006, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2006, 7:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

^ What Tin said.

If we really need to keep threads on hand, we move them to our moderator board, or if it's just something that only I need to keep (such as old banner claiming rounds), I move them to my archive board which is only viewable to me :p

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2006, 10:27 am 
Maia
Maia

I agree with the mods here. If a post is deleted, it means it was unnecessary - and so is the post count it earned, too.

Thank you for five-plus wonderful years of obsession, friendship and fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2006, 3:35 am 

you have an archive board?!?
I did not know that, heh, the things you learn eh.....Thats actually a pretty good idea. as an admin keeping a board to yourself to store things.
Hey arwen, you could have conversations with yourself

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2006, 8:00 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

i agree, the whole reason for this Reformaton (i think) is too save space right? well that would just take up more space