Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: names
PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 2:40 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Hello everyone I'm new to the site and was looking at names and noticed mine wasn't there but, I dont have the knowledge to figure out what the elvish equivalent of my name would be.
could you guys tell me?
My name is Kieran, a variation of the irish Ciaran.
many thanks,
Shadowseer

Post subject: Re: names
PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 6:53 pm 

It looks like your name meaning is a derivative of "black" so any of the elvish ones that also mean that would work. A few examples are Mórë and Morna. :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 11:43 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Ales Bican currently lists (on his Quenya name book at his website elm)...

CIARAN (m.) - Irish diminutive 'black'; morna "black" ince a diminutive ending, so Mornince

If just 'black' I would give it a masculine ending like Morno or Mornon. Ales also notes:

BLAKE (m.) - from Old Eng. 'black'; morna "black", thus Morno or Mornon

These are Quenya style.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 2:43 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

My name isn't on there either (Jamie). I was wondering what my Quenya name was, cause I prefer High Elven.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 6:48 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Ales Bican suggests...

JAMIE (m., f.) - a form of JAMES (q.v.), the feminine form would be Encaitare

And for JAMES Ales notes that it has the same etymology as JACOB, so...

JACOB (m.) - Heb. 'supplanter'; in QL we can find kaita- "to place" (it may be not valid and clashes with a word for 'lie'!), whence we could form *encaita- "replace" close to the meaning of 'supplant', then maybe Encaitar

Or Encaitaro.

Since ai is a diphthong the primary stress in Encaitar falls on the second syllable, encAItar. But since the penult in both Encaitare and Encaitaro contains short a, the primary stress is: encAItaro

QL (noted in Ales' entry for JACOB) refers to the Qenya Lexicon, a very early lexicon written about the time a young Tolkien was working on The Book of Lost Tales. Generally speaking I think it's a bit suspect for mining Quenya words but at least this is noted in his book.

Also, I don't know if Ales' book has been updated since the publication of Tolkien's Words, Phrases, And Passages, so there might be a later word in there that one could employ. Maybe!

PostPosted: January 31st, 2013, 8:42 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Thank you everyone for your help I found my name eventually it was mornefindon and was meaning black haired and funnily enough I do have black hair so its accurate, it'd be awkward if I was a blonde

PostPosted: February 16th, 2013, 12:22 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

hi i'm new here, its a fantastic site, my name isn't on the list its Lisa could you let me know what it is in elvish please. thank you.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2013, 2:17 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Ales suggest Erúve for 'Lisa', shortened from Erunyauve.

Based on the following etymology of Lisa: 'A shortened form of Greek Eleisabet, from Hebrew but with several suggested forms: Elisheva' 'my God [is my] oath', Elishava' 'My God Has Sworn', Elisheva' 'My God [Is] Plenty'

This Quenya translation is based on the last of these meanings (the one with 'plenty').

PostPosted: February 18th, 2013, 9:52 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

This is not my name, but I wanted to point out that the name Alicia is not on the list either.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 3:06 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I'm trying to find out some of my friends names in Quenya, but can't find Ewan and Charlotte.

Nai hirldë estel...

PostPosted: April 28th, 2014, 10:40 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Can anyone please tell me what my name would be its Colette....

“War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

PostPosted: May 1st, 2014, 1:32 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

For questions like these, I would suggest heading to the Language section of the forum, as that's where you're most likely to find someone who can help you out.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 1st, 2014, 3:12 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Well I can help, or at least I believe I can, for certain examples perhaps, and I just look at 'new posts' no matter what forum they are in, but it's rather easy for folks to look up their own names in Ales Bican's Quenya 'babybook' and find translations, which is all I did for some of the earlier requests.

And if a given name isn't there, it helps if people reveal what their name means, for possible translation. It can be fun to find that out [the meaning, if known], if you don't know. I like making Neo-Elvish names... what might hinder me is time, and whether or not I can come up with something that I think sounds Tolkien-ish... granted that last consideration is subjective. Anyway, Ales has a lot of names in his Quenya Lapseparma. Just type...

q u e n y a l a p s e p a r m a

... in a search and you should be able to find his site. And if you don't want Quenya, or your name isn't there, come back and ask, hopefully with the meaning you want translated. Tolkien's invented Elvish vocabulary is limited, but maybe.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who can give it a go in any case, no matter what forum is employed. Although again, no promises...

... I often seem on the verge of not posting on the web. Someday it may come to pass. Tomorrow maybe?

Even I do not know :-D

And sometimes I have trouble logging in too.

Also, please try to keep in mind that if you want your name written in Elvish letters then you want a transcription rather. Some folks on the web seem to use translation when they mean transcription, and confusion sets in right away.

Although that said, most folks who want a transcription just want to be shown the finished product with a picture in the thread [or a link to a picture], while I only annoyingly describe the finished product by pointing to the numbered chart in The Return of the King, which [I think] has yet to get a reaction from anyone!

:-D

PostPosted: May 1st, 2014, 11:54 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Thank you for the advice it was most welcome! As for the site suggested, sadly I had already checked there as well as at others with no success. In English my name means "the people's victory" I have yet to find an approximate translation and am simply on the verge of using what little I know to create my own though I fear that with my barely rudimentary knowledge of the language that my translation shall prove false to the extent of possibly unwittingly causing offense to one more knowledgeable of this complex dialect than I......

“War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2014, 8:20 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Hi Aurora Rose

Okay thanks. Something like that was linked from Ales' page, from the 'Now We Have All Got Elvish Names' link there. It reads [slightly edited by me]...

'KLAUS: In German, this is a shortened form of Greek Nicolaus, that is composed of elements meaning "victory" and "people" (...) In Quenya it would become Túrelië (TUR, LI), but there is one important problem: High-Elven names in -ië are feminine, not masculine. We have to change the ending (...) Túrelio may be a possible form.'

Of course it's not a problem if you are looking for a feminine name in the first place :-D

PostPosted: September 5th, 2014, 5:57 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Adrian isn't in the list either. I tried looking up the meaning and only got "From Hadria" which doesn't seem like much. Help would be nice, preferably on Sidarin if possible. Thank you.