Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently May 13th, 2024, 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Heirs of Durin Fanclub
PostPosted: July 12th, 2013, 10:32 am 
Istari
Istari

WELL... he is slightly gloomy sometimes, but he has had a hard life. For the most part he is cool!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 12th, 2013, 3:01 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thoughts?
Thorin is pretty epic.
He's very brave and has the makings of a hero, definitely. I like the uncle-nephew bond and how much it shows in the movie :) He's very stern and serious but only because he's had a lot of negative points in his life, and they were all when he was young- not a good thing. Still I wish he'd be more fun-loving like his nephews!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 13th, 2013, 10:57 pm 
Istari
Istari

Well, awesome, funny dwarves like Kili are rare lol

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 15th, 2013, 3:42 pm 

After I'd read the Hobbit for the first time, Thorin was probably my least liked character :p He was constantly annoyed and grumpy, and very unfriendly towards Bilbo. But after reading some more background stories and getting a clearer picture of the history of the dwarves of Erebor I started to change my mind: when thinking about all the things Thorin had been through and the responsibilities he must have felt during those years, it's slightly more understandable why he's not as happy and jolly as many of the other dwarves described in the Hobbit.

And this all sounds very interesting and literature-loving and very non-superficial, but I actually fell in love with Thorin from the moment he appeared on the screen. I'm really glad they didn't give him a long beard as he should have had according to the book, and I also really don't mind seeing a bit more of Richard Armitage's face :whistle: But the best thing about movie-Thorin is that he just oozes royalty: he's confident and he knows that the others look up to him, and yet he'll never take that for granted. Maybe I'm seeing more into it than there really is, but that's why I like him :happy:

PostPosted: July 15th, 2013, 8:46 pm 

^ Oh, I agree that RA's portrayal really does wonders for Thorin's character; I don't think I ever liked book Thorin that much, and I think it would have been very easy for someone to play him in a less likeable way, given how cranky he is in the book. :lol: But he manages to balance that sternness with enough nobility and charm that it really works. :)

PostPosted: July 18th, 2013, 3:26 pm 

^ Oh yes, RA's portrayal did absolute wonders for the character, while still staying close to the character in the book. Last week I explained the same thing to a friend, and I used Orlando Bloom's portrayal of Legolas as a comparison. Yes, OB did a nice job playing Legolas, but movie-Legolas seems more shallow and more captain-obvious than book-Legolas. Still everyone loved movie-Legolas because Orlando looked so cute in his blond wig. Which is completely understandable, even I had him on the walls of my room for about 5 years ;-)
But returning to Thorin: RA could also easily be seen as just a pretty face. He is goodlooking and he has the added advantage of a small beard and very few prosthetics. But besides giving Thorin a nice look, he also added something to the character that made him far more appealing than in the book, while still staying true to the book.

This made much more sense in a 5 minute presentation to my friend about "Why Thorin is better portrayed than Legolas" :lol:

PostPosted: July 18th, 2013, 4:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think I agree with most people that Thorin with the 'important sounding' quality and explanations-that-take-forever characteristic was very annoying in the book. I'm very glad that Thorin's portrayal in the movie did NOT include that and that they brought out more of other qualities.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm 
Istari
Istari

Thorin is pretty cool...I guess I wouldn't say he is good looking, because that sounds odd, quite frankly :p

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 24th, 2013, 5:56 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

^No it doesn't, because if a character is attractive, then they're attractive, there's nothing odd about it. Maybe when you get a little older, you'll understand that a little better. Did you ever think that the reason that Thorin, Fili and Kili are so attractive is because of the actors that are portraying them? I think it would have been horrid if Peter Jackson stuck with the garden gnome look they had in the book, and there's nothing wrong with having a little "eye candy" to help carry us over the mountain. ;-)

Lhunardaien wrote:
And this all sounds very interesting and literature-loving and very non-superficial, but I actually fell in love with Thorin from the moment he appeared on the screen. I'm really glad they didn't give him a long beard as he should have had according to the book, and I also really don't mind seeing a bit more of Richard Armitage's face :whistle:

The same thing happened with me, though I wasn't aware of it at the time. It took me six more viewings (and what I call a "warning" dream when my favorite is changing, and I'm unaware of it) to realize it. I was more into the Witch-King when I first saw the Hobbit, and since he's not much in the first part of the movie version, I needed someone new to focus on, and I guess Bilbo didn't cut it (I haven't been into hobbits since I first got into LotR about a week after FotR got released on DVD).

I like the fact that Thorin's more serious (more like me, actually, since you wouldn't see me pulling a prank on someone at a party. It's just not in my nature to do something like that), since I don't picture him as more fun-loving like his nephews. Just because you're a little more on the serious side doesn't mean you don't know how to have a good time, it just means you go about it in a different way.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 25th, 2013, 1:44 pm 
Istari
Istari

^^True, although I am not one who is considered a "drooling fangirl" lol!
Also, I wouldn't say Thorin is ugly I just wouldn't say that he is hot, the same goes for just about every character that I like, with the exception of Gimli lol!!!!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 25th, 2013, 3:36 pm 

For me there's a big difference between attractive and hot: A lot of people are attractive and that can be both physical and intellectual. On the other hand, people I consider 'hot' are usually only so in a physical way. I would never describe someone I just had an intellectual conversation with as hot, when just basing my description on that conversation.

Five years ago (or even more) I would never have believed my future self saying this but yet, I do find Thorin quite attractive :p I think he looks handsome, but there are also some aspects in his character that make him attractive, such as leadership, self-confidence and acting calm in stressful situations :lol:

What I don't like about his character is that he's so stubborn in holding onto the past. I completely get that he feels betrayed by the Elves, but there's no need to generalize that to every single Elf in existence. Also, not a very good example for his heirs :annoyed2:

PostPosted: July 25th, 2013, 8:05 pm 
Istari
Istari

^^Agreed!!
Kili is my favorite Dwarf... who's yours???

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 26th, 2013, 1:30 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

No favourite, but I have favourites!
Fili, Kili, Gimli, and Thorin (last but DEFINITELY not least!) are the ones who usually appear when I think 'dwarf'.

I can write in dwarvish :)
Which is awesome :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 28th, 2013, 2:05 am 
Istari
Istari

^^^ haha, so can i lol

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 12th, 2013, 4:53 pm 

Welcome to our newest member: RosieFaroe213!

Now we have another perfect opportunity to revive this club, with the first opportunity being the release of DoS :) I'll wait with spilling the beans until others have seen it as well, but I'm really interested in what you think of Thorin after seeing DoS!

PostPosted: December 12th, 2013, 5:48 pm 
Istari
Istari

Wait a week and I will have an opinion :p
Upon reading my older posts, I realize that I wasn't a huge Thorin fan...I was still a bit immature :teehee:
I'm 14 :lol: and though it's a bit awkward to say it aloud, I can type it...as long as Gimli_son of_Gloin doesn't read it :p
For some reason Thorin is a lot more attractive now than he was a few months ago. I have no idea what changed except my age :lol:

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next