Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently June 15th, 2024, 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2
PostPosted: August 6th, 2011, 12:17 am 

WARNING: SAD AND UNHAPPY THOUGHTS BELOW.

I've waited to post my thoughts on seeing this because, well, I was disappointed. I guess since Part 1 had done so well in setting it up, I thought Part 2 would hold to that. And, I dunno, I guess the whole idea that it was the final movie made me think it would be somehow special.

And it wasn't. Now, I thought it was a good movie. But I didn't leave the theater crying (except out of frustration) or saddened by the fact that there were no more movies. It left me wanting. Which depresses me even more. It left me thinking that surely, I hadn't actually seen Part 2, it was still waiting out there! And while yes, I understand the need to change things from the books, I don't understand why they needlessly change things. Though some of this would have the same reaction had there not been a more awesome book - it's just basic continuity and storytelling that was lacking.

Some of you may know that Fred and Neville are my favorite characters. :teehee: I might have mentioned it once or twice. And the movie did NOT do justice to their characters. Firstly, Fred. Disappointment, and not even from a book-reader standpoint. From the basic fact that he's been a character that the movie watchers have been invested in from the very first movie. He's a recurring character that is always there, even when not in the exact forefront. There is investment in him. And they didn't even show his death. Before you say "Well they didn't show Lupin and Tonks' deaths either" let me remind you that we don't know how they died. In the book, we don't know they're dead until Harry sees their bodies. So while they could have added in a scene with them fighting and dying, it still works the same way. Also, we're less invested in them. Lupin's been around for a few, but Tonks is really hardly there in the movies. No disrespect to their fans (I love them too), but not as huge. Fred is killed by an explosion of wall right after being reunited with his brother who finally comes back to the family. Okay, fine. You're not going to make a big deal of Percy coming back because that was never a part of the movies. I get that. But to not even show Fred dying? AND THEN. THEN. They don't give us proper time to grieve. We see the Weasley's huddled around. Then a brief glimpse of one of the twins leaning over another. It's perhaps 3 seconds longer than the shot in the trailer. AND THAT IS ALL. We don't even know which twin it is for quite a while. Like, until Neville mentions that he didn't die in vain. There was absolutely nothing there for us to have the chance to take in his death. I'm pretty positive Lavender Brown's death got more attention than Fred's. And it irked me.

Now, onto Neville. My dear Neville. Yes, Neville got to kill Nagini. Good. I'm glad that it got people to recognize Neville's awesome. BUT. THEY HAD SO MUCH MORE AWESOME JUST WAITING FOR THEM in the book. Here you have all hope gone. Harry is "dead", Voldemort looks like he's won. Everyone could just give up. It is at this moment that Neville steps forward. So far the book and movie coincide. And then, in the movie, Neville gives a little speech. It's sweet. It's heartfelt. That's fine. At this moment, I was sitting in the theater in great anticipation waiting for him to say "I'll join you when hell freezes over" and then a nice swish and yay dead Nagini!

Oh, wait. One other thing before this. Yes, Neville is supposed to know that Nagini needs to be killed. Harry tells him. In the movie Harry hadn't told him. I was hoping that somehow Neville got the memo through Ron and Hermione. Because, I thought, they wouldn't mess up this big scene, would they?

So, back to the scene. Neville's speech is all nice and good, and then all of a sudden Harry pops up and starts running away. I FLIPPED OUT. My mom said later that she thought I was having a stroke or something. Neville's moment of glory, finally, finally, and it gets taken away. All hope is gone, and this character, who has been shafted every single book/movie, finally gets his moment to shine. Because he continues to stand up to Voldemort, even when he sees no reason why. But this is taken from him. Harry reveals himself, and now Neville is put back into the background. For a while, I was worried that they weren't even going to have him kill the snake. And when he does (yes, it looks awesome) you don't know if he actually knew he needed to or not. It was attacking Ron and Hermione. So, to all intents and purposes, he could just be killing it because he's saving his friends. Not because he's taking part in a finale battle against Voldemort.

And, on to other parts of the movie. I'm sorry Lar, but the Snape flashbacks were not that moving to me. I felt like it didn't get across the close friendship they had. It felt almost more as if Snape were a sort of stalker. Because you have them as little kids, and then you have Lily kissing James. It didn't really cover their growing up and sticking together for a while and all that. The end of his memories was beautiful, up through Lily's death I didn't like.

Snapping the Elder Wand in half. No. What? Um, that was Dumbledore's wand. I don't care what Harry thought about its powers, I thought he was too respectful of Dumbledore to do that. And what, he uses Malfoy's wand for the rest of his life?

If they must do the epilogue (*sigh*) they could at least make mention of other characters. Harry tells Lupin that he has a son. And then.....what, he drops off the face of the planet? What ever happened to him? And who were all the other random kids? No mention of anyone else. Which just felt a little...eeh to me.

:lost:

:blush:

Happy thoughts now? :innocent: So, I thought Helena Bonham-Carter as Hermione as Bellatrix was brilliant. A few times I thought "Wow, make up did a great job!" Yeah. So that was awesome. The whole Gringotts sequence was pretty good. Voldemort hugs are hilarious. And the Malfoy storyline was done well. McGonagall using the spells to protect the castle was perfect and fantastic! And Harry going to his death was very beautifully done.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 18th, 2011, 6:05 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I loved this movie. :D I think ıt was good but the book was more beautiful then movie. Lots of parts which was in the book weren't added.. So ı was a little bit disappointed. I was also unhappy because ı don't like endings..

PostPosted: August 19th, 2011, 11:47 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Okay, there's something I've been wondering about. It isn't one of my best theories and I've thought it over so many times that I've sort of solved it already, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought :P
Ron says he knows how to say 'open' in Parseltongue because Harry talks in his sleep. It's very nice of Harry to give a translation of what he says, because otherwise Ron wouldn't know what the hell he was talking about right?
And when Harry says 'open' in Parseltongue while he was in the tent, with the Horcrux around, wouldn't the locket have gone open?

PostPosted: August 20th, 2011, 5:29 pm 

Larael wrote:
Eä, it's interesting that you should bring up Mrs. Weasley - the second time around I thought her performance was good, but overall not what I was expecting. Her infamous "all caps" line from the book didn't come across with the same ferocity that I felt from her while reading, and it was wholly unclear what sort of spells she and Bellatrix were throwing at each other. The scene was messy, and in retrospect, slightly disappointing.

I generally agree with you about Snape, Voldy/Harry flying around Hogwarts, the Elder Wand, Neville, and Harry and Luna. You made some spot on comments in those respects, especially about the Nazi-era references. I think the average film goer isn't going to mind them, but considering Warner Bros. is going to champion this film for some Oscars I think it does cheapen the originality of the story somewhat from an art standpoint. [Although I guess a film doesn't have to be artsy to win an Oscar. :P ]

The second time around I think there was really only one thing that didn't sit right with me. I had missed it the first time as I wasn't feeling well and went to the loo. It's the bit after Snape escapes after dueling McGonagall and Voldy makes his announcement to the castle. I didn't really understand what was happening as there were kids screaming, and everyone had their hands over their ears. Was it supposed to be like Voldy was in their heads talking to them? It seemed odd and sort of out of place. I think they could have portrayed that differently.

Also, I really enjoyed that article, Eä! Thanks for sharing it! It was witty, but also made some really good points, especially about Harry and Ginny. I seriously do believe that Harry married the wrong girl in the movies, and I don't think it's because Bonnie Wright and Dan Radcliffe don't have chemistry. I'm more keen to blame the director for not pointing out that they should perhaps show some chemistry.

Sorry, for the long quote.. it's just easier to.. quote! :teehe:
YES, the Mrs. Weasley and Bellatrix scene was rushed!! I didn't even notice Ginny there the first time I saw the movie, but now after having seen it a third time (yes, a third time :P) I finally caught a quick glimpse of a something red. ;) and no, again they relied on people having read the books to fully understand that scene and Mrs. Weasley's famous line. Lazy people!

Thanks for agreeing with me! :P Hmm, do you really think the Academy would watch the movie and go "Oh crap, we so wanted to give the Oscar to DH but then they did the over-used Nazi-references, no we've gotta find someone else"? :teehee: Anyway, I think it just bothered me that they were lazy like that and just spent 8 seconds on Hogwarts life - although, I've gotta admit that scene was so powerful.

I think it was supposed to be like Voldemort was inside their heads.. because he could.. because he had the Elder wand, like the coolest wand in the world, like ever!

No, Bonnie Wright and Daniel Radcliffe didn't have any chemistry.. and Daniel never shows emotions.. and neither has Bonnie ever done.. But you're so right.. David Yates could have done so much more.. Even though I think he tried.. awkward shoelace-tying at Christmas.. awkward kiss in the midst of battle etc.. But see how well it worked with Luna/Harry and Luna/Neville. When Luna and Harry looks out the window when the battle begins, when Luna goes to sit next to Neville in the end.. sosososo sweet! :D

Yay, Nurr, so happy to finally read your review.
I see your frustration.. I understand most of it, and I acknowledge it. People dying left and right and no time for grieving = sad.
Neville got ditched a lot in DH = sad. Although, I think it worked how he killed the nasty snake that was after Hermione and Ron and just wouldn't die.. although.. how did he know that only the Sword of Gryffindor could kill it?
True, the memories might have been done better.. there was too much indie-movie-two-kids-on-a-meadow there. I was just so happy that they didn't mess it up completely and had made it intolerably sappy-cheesy.
Helena Bonham-Carter as Hermione as Bellatrix was friggin' WIN!!! :bounce:

FemElf:: Actually, it bothered me that Ron just like that knew the password in Parseltongue because Harry talks in his sleep - LAME! How hard was it to have Harry just tell him the password... would have taken the same time and been much more logical.
As for the locket-horcrux.. I would imagine that some other magic kept it closed. Just like the simple Accio spell never worked on the horcruxes.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2011, 10:44 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I just saw HP7-part2 and as someone who's never read the books, I got a few things to say, spoilers obviously. :P
the HP movies were never my faves but I loved them, from the 3rd and up mostly, and this one I absolutely loved.
Quote:
Larael, you said you wanted your horror and gore, I could say the same for the emotions - I missed them. I never get to cry over Fred (it was Fred, right?) because I never realised that he died, same with Remus and Tonks. I loved the moment where they reach out for each other in the beginning of the battle and next thing you know they're dead.. but there is never time to properly grieve over them before they cut back to Harry and his mission.

To me it felt WRONG that we never got to cry over Fred, hell I didn't even realize WHO died till the very end! I thought it was the father at first :confused: just didn't seem right, we should've been able to at least see how he died and grief him more.
I felt that this movie could've been a LOT darker and still be PG13 but oh well...still epic.
For me the best part was Snape, a beautiful way to redeem him, and Alan's performance had me in tears, so bravo for making me cry on a HP movie haha :P
Quote:
Secondly... did he really say "you have your mothers eyes"? The whole beauty of that statement being "look at me" was - was he asking Harry to look at the real him? Did he want to see Lily's eyes? I liked the fact it was up to the reader to interpret it (I chose the former reason naturally) and I'm really bugged off it's now apparently, the other way around.

you see, as a non book reader (hah :P) I tottally got the "look at me" which I thought was great, it wasn't because he wanted to see Lily's eyes, but because he wanted Harry to see him, the real him, I got it.
I SQUEEEEEED when I saw Sirius, cuz I love Gary haha

PostPosted: November 16th, 2011, 1:31 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I was SO excited when I saw the trailers! I felt the surge of epic excitement for sure!
The movie was awesome!!!! I was sad when it finished though. It was great, but I'm SO sad it's all over. *tears*
I felt consoled though in the thought that The Hobbit is supposed to come out next year! :D

PostPosted: November 16th, 2011, 1:22 pm 

And it's out on dvd.. Just wanted to say!! :teehee:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: April 4th, 2013, 5:16 pm 
Vala
Vala

I figure this is as good a place as any to say this. In case you didn't know, Richard Griffiths who played Vernon Dursley in the movies passed away March 28, at age 65, following complications after a heart surgery.

Rest in Peace, Vernon.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2013, 1:58 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I saw that :( I actually particularly like Vernon. Especially in the books. I feel we got to know the dursley's better in the books than in the fillms

Banner Created by Bellatrix

Banner made by Me

PostPosted: May 9th, 2013, 2:19 pm 
Vala
Vala

I think it was easier to understand why Vernon was the way he was in the books. And why Petunia and Dudley were too. I *hated* that they removed the scene where Dudley tells Harry that he doesn't think he's a waste of space.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2013, 2:23 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Bellatrix wrote:
I think it was easier to understand why Vernon was the way he was in the books. And why Petunia and Dudley were too. I *hated* that they removed the scene where Dudley tells Harry that he doesn't think he's a waste of space.

I know! I feel it was a very big breakthrough point for them. It really showed the "family feeling" with them. There was so much they should have put in the movies. I wouldn't mind if it was like 4 hours long! haha as long as they got those important details.

Banner Created by Bellatrix

Banner made by Me

PostPosted: May 9th, 2013, 2:46 pm 
Vala
Vala

Just that one scene. Dudley's confession. I WANTED it so much. I think they made a big mistake cutting that out. Dudley wasn't a horrible person really, but he'd been brainwashed his own life to think that Harry was below him and he'd been spoiled rotten. It was such a heavy moment, so defining, because it showed that Dudley had FINALLY realized that it was irrational to hate Harry and it wasn't fair for him to be treated like that. It showed how much Dudley really wasn't like his parents at all.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2013, 10:16 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I didn't read the books and u can't expect everything to be added but saw those deleted scenes and Dudley's confession along with this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhS9Z13Gyac is brilliant and should've been added

PostPosted: May 9th, 2013, 10:46 pm 
Vala
Vala

I'v never said I expected everything to be in the film; I was expressing my disapproval of them cutting that one particular scene because of what it meant.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2013, 8:04 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Bellatrix wrote:
I'v never said I expected everything to be in the film; I was expressing my disapproval of them cutting that one particular scene because of what it meant.

oh I knew what you meant, don't worry ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7