Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently June 4th, 2024, 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Motorcycle Diaries
PostPosted: June 10th, 2005, 6:41 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

My Spanish class has been watching this movie for the entire week, we just finished it today. It was really really good. I didn't know all that about Che Guevara, it was really interesting. The acting is really good too, the guy who plays Granado is hilarious. And of course Gael Garcia Bernal... :drool:

Thanks to Ororuthiel for the banner.
Avi by Aly at http://www.pisgah.org/silver-glass/

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2005, 6:57 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Yah, it is a really good film. I luv it.
And I like the song...

creo que he visto una luz al otro lado del río... really beautiful!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2005, 7:25 am 

I watched the movie when it came out so it's been a while now, but I liked it. Very beautiful pictures!! I didn't know all that much about Che Guevara either .... and even after having seen the movie it still leaves more questions unanswered. WHY does he become a revolutionary??? I just don't get it... true he travels all through South America and witness poverty and injustice but a lot of people do so... without endning up in a guerilla war in the jungle!! The missing link between the young idealist guy on a road trip and the mythologic freedon fighter.... what is it???

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2005, 10:38 am 
Elf
Elf

I never seen this movie, but I am really anxious to see it! I've heard of the song though, I loved the song. Antonio Bandaras sings it, wohoo!

Capt. Jack: Shoot him and cut out his tongue! Then shoot his tongue!..and trim that scraggly beard.

yAAAy! The <a href="http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2007/tc20071218_443372.htm">Hobbit movie</a> is back on!!! Movie buffs get excited!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2005, 4:14 pm 

We watched this movie in my Spanish class too. I really enjoyed it. I didn't really know much about Che, except what I saw in the play Evita. I really enjoyred everything it showed, all the people and how it opens their eyes. I also thought it was so cool, at the Oscars when the guy won for best song or something like that, he went up there and just sang it. Mi amor! Woo! Of course, my Spanish sucks so I don't know if that's "grammatically correct." If you know what I mean. Oh well. I loved Motorcycle Diaries! WOO! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2005, 8:33 pm 
Istari
Istari

I havent seen this movie yet. lol but the only reason why I wanted to see it was because I love motorcycles, and well the motorcycle diaries...haha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2005, 2:20 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

It's probably my favorite movie of 2004, and it is definitely in my Top 5 list. I would highly recommend it for anyone, Spanish and non-Spanish speaker.

Deje que el mundo te cambie, y podras cambiar el mundo...
Let the world change you, and you can change the world...

Be bright, be beautiful, but--most importantly--be.
<a href="javascript:self.close()">Image</a>:Click for love...

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2005, 9:51 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

is it like the long way round - i love that so much it's ace - and such an acheivement for ewan and charlie :D - the best part being where u see ewans butt of course!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2005, 12:51 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Eä wrote:
I watched the movie when it came out so it's been a while now, but I liked it. Very beautiful pictures!! I didn't know all that much about Che Guevara either .... and even after having seen the movie it still leaves more questions unanswered. WHY does he become a revolutionary??? I just don't get it... true he travels all through South America and witness poverty and injustice but a lot of people do so... without endning up in a guerilla war in the jungle!! The missing link between the young idealist guy on a road trip and the mythologic freedon fighter.... what is it???

One can speculate a bunch of reasons why Che became a revolutionary, but they boil down to two: he believed the Latin American poor were being oppressed by oligarchies (rule by few, the rich) and dictators who were only interested in getting themselves richer, and that the U.S. was feeding in to this money game of capitalism. He wanted governments ruled by the people for the people. The basis of his arguments were founded during his yearlong journey with Alberto Granado.

The movie, in my opinion, did not intend to touch on Che as a revolutionary, because this trip was before "Che", when he was Ernesto Guevara de la Serna, or "Fuser".

Incidentally, there is another film to be released this year called "Che" starring Benicio del Toro that I believe tells more about "Che" as a revolutionary.

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2005, 1:18 pm 

Thanks Belowen, it definately helps. I might've had other expectations to the movie than what it intended to show. People so determined and inspired like El Che always have very interesting stories. They aren't ordinary like the rest of us and I like to get 'behind the icon' to get a better understanding of their outstanding actions. To me El Che isn't a human, to me he's a picture on a T-shirt, he's a supernatural revolutionary from a long time ago fighting for freedom and justice, thus an icon. I vaguely know the other side of him, that he wasn't just a saint but of course I prefer the hero-story!!

And again I find it interesting what makes him a revolutionary, what triggered him. True oligarchy and despotism can upset anybody and unfortunately politics in most of Latin America hasn't changed much since then. It is frustrating to witness without being able to change it.
I have seen poverty and injustice but I have no desire to fight a war.... but I believe that's exactly what makes all the difference between the people who get to change the world and those who don't!

I'll be looking forward to the new movie 'Che' :angel:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2005, 12:45 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

"Che" will always be one of the most interesting characters in history. I wish schools taught more about him and other revolutionaries. I don't necessarily agree with all their intentions or purposes, but revolutionaries (in thought and in deed) can teach us the most about others and, ultimately, ourselves.