Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2010, 2:27 pm 

I [s]stalk[/s] poke around NarniaWeb.com. They're pretty much my official site. :P

I really do hope that's how they'll go about Peter and Susan. I think that would be fitting. Putting them in anywhere else might make me cry.

Can I just say how fantastic the Last Sea looks? And the huge wave in the sky at the end of the world? That bit makes me so super happy.

Can we have promo pics now? :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2010, 3:54 pm 

Okay, here are my hopes for this movie (because quite honestly, the book was never one of the my favorites, it always read so disjointedly for me).

1) RAMANDU DAUGHTER'S HAS TO HAVE SOME SORT OF PERSONALITY/CHARACTER BUILD. The Caspian/Nameless Star Girl romance in the book was just SO cut and dry. CS Lewis should take a page out of Tolkien's book.
2) Eustace/Will Poulter HAS to impress me, because with the Pevensie actors gone, there will be little that interests me into seeing future films.
3) There has to be a reference to the past Caspian/Susan, and I'm not saying this as a shipper. I'm saying this as it's good continuity, that Caspian has to accept that Susan's not coming back in order to happily form a love/marriage with Ramandu's Daughter -- apparently dubbed Lilliandil for the film.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2010, 10:54 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Kit, I think everything on your list is on my list. I would just add that I hope they don't change the character of the characters. To me Pete came off as a jerk in Pricne Caspian. He seemed different than the Peter in the books. I hope they don't do the same thing to Edmund.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2010, 6:43 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

The second official trailer for VoDT is on youtube!

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjj_sGlpC9U

:kick: :kick: :kick:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2010, 11:24 pm 

Yeah, I saw that today. The lack of Edmund and Eustace makes me sad. WHY did they decide to show the Peter and Susan close-ups again? I'm not getting much from this one. It seems to have most of what we already saw, although the materialization of Lillandil was cool. And I did like having actual dialogue...somewhat.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 12th, 2010, 3:49 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I am so excited for this part...

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 21st, 2010, 10:11 pm 

New clips from the movie! Of Eustace!

click here

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 6:22 pm 
Elf
Elf

Am reviving this thread seeing as how we're less than a month away from the film's release!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2010, 1:42 pm 
Elf
Elf

Eeee....I can't wait!
I love the Chronicles of Narnia so much, and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader has always been my favourite...so this could either go very wrong or very, very right!

I've got to say the trailer doesn't fill me with hope.
There is a lot of new and random content in there as far as I can make out, and I'm fairly horrifically loyal to the book, so I'm probably not going to be in love with that...

Ah well. We shall see.

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 14th, 2010, 4:50 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I adored this movie. :yes: seriously. I loved how they took almost all of the elements in the book and sorta shook them together and combined them to make a good, flowing movie. I think they did a good job keeping true to the characters and the storyline while still making it work on the big screen. VotDT is my favorite book of them all and... it was good. :happy: I could write a more detailed review... :whistle:

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 15th, 2010, 2:13 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I saw it too. I liked it, though I don't think I liked it as much as you, PD. I'd love to hear your full review. It'd be interesting to see how it contrasts mine.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 2:02 am 

I liked it too, I thought they did a pretty good job of adapting the book even if they changed quite a lot. The green mist thing was kind of wierd and I thought it looked terrible when the first boat dissapeared but it did work in tying the story together.
Oh and I love Eustace, I thought he was perfect in the part. And I was so happy that he got to be the hero in end. His farewell to Repicheep made me cry.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1st, 2011, 8:36 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Just got back from seeing Dawn Treader at the cinema, and came away feeling distinctly underwhelmed. I don't know if it was the different director, the lack of all four Pevensies, the lack of a giant, climactic battle at the end or what, but it didn't come across like the other two films. It didn't believe in itself as a story. The grandeur and the heart and the scale of the other two films just wasn't there. I felt like it was scared to aim too high, and just settled for the middle of the road-not great, not awful.

On the bright side, I loved Will Poulter as Eustace. My biggest concern coming into the film was that he wouldn't measure up, and he ended up being the best part of the movie. Everything in his mannerisms, his way of speaking, his diary entries, everything was spot on.

His fight (and friendship) with Reepicheep was awesome.

I was also surprised to find that I really liked Caspian this time around. He was more comfortable and more assured, of course, but I think it was the addition of a bit of humour in the film and his character that worked really well.

At the end, I kept expecting Peter and Susan to show up, like the scene from the trailer, and they didn't even come! I was kind of surprised, but it didn't bother me that much.

And actually, sitting here now and thinking about the film, I'm remembering more and more good bits and wondering why I didn't like it as much as I hoped I would. I'm going to need a second viewing to really sort out my thoughts. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1st, 2011, 11:48 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

But good ol' Peter and Susan were never suppose to show up. In fact, they showed up more throughout the film than they did in the book, if I remember right. But, yeah, there was a certain empty feeling without them there. :( that's why I'm not particularly looking forward to the Silver Chair. Not only is it one of my least favorite books but the absence of the Pevensies is gonna be heartbreaking. but I thought they had a fairly nice, climatic battle with that serpent thingy. :yes:

anyways, since it's been a few long weeks since I saw it I'm gonna paste the loonnngg review I wrote right after it was fresh in my mind. For those of you who'd like to read it :)

Quote:
"First and foremost, this has always been my most favorite book. :yes: always. And the movie did it justice.

One of my first observations was that they kind of took all of the elements in the book (the evil "smoke/mist", the mermaids, the missing lords, the adventure in general) and mixed it all together. The results were pleasing. It didn't follow the book exactly but, for a movie, it worked splendidly. I do still think that they followed the book more than Prince Caspian did.

Hmmm, other things--
*I loved the morals/underlying themes taught. Among those, I LOVED Lucy wanting to be like Susan and the whole scene with her, Peter and Edmund. And just... yanno, Aslan talking to her about how special she was. That was epic.
*I also greatly enjoyed the end of the earth scene where Aslan tells them they need to get to know him better in this world and how he goes by another name in this world etc. That's a beautiful moment that I'm glad they kept in.
*The credits. Yes, the credits. I loved them. I adored that they put in the old illustrations from the book. It was amazing! :happy: and, of course, I love Carrie's song.
*Ummm, over all I quite enjoyed the adventure. I enjoyed them keeping with the story and I enjoyed the small changes.
*I liked Eustace. I thought they portrayed him just brilliantly. And I really enjoyed the whole Reep-Eustace moments. It was unexpected but nice.
*I enjoyed the maturing of the charries of Edmund and Caspian. I thought it was wonderful.
*what I missed, however, was Susan and Peter. At times it just felt... empty, you know? Just missing something. :( but I was thrilled that Susan was in it a tad... although I wish they had portrayed her as wanting to be more grown up/mature and wanting to forget Narnia like she was in the book. Oh well.
*I also missed Edmund and Dragon-Eustace's talk about traitors. ;) That's probably what saddened me the most.
*I liked some of the humor in it too. Granted it was few and far between but Edmund/Skandar is just... genius with the humorous comments/looks. :teehee: I could watch him forever and never grow tired of it. I'm very glad they kept that from the other movies.
*OH! also, they did a great job making it not feel like PotC. For a while I was a tad nervous of the whole high seas adventure thing but it felt very Narnian.
*Dufflepuds. :P
*the CGI was astounding! There were some shots of the Dawn Treader that just took my breath away!
*NARNIA THEME! :happy:
*I know people complained about PC being "mature" but I felt VotDT was somwhat more mature than LWW too. I mean, it kind of had darker/more mature moments/themes and then it had moments that weren't so much. I think it had a good mixture of more child-like stuff and more mature stuff... if that makes sense. :erm:

EDIT:
I knew I'd forget stuff! :P
*I also loved that Lucy got to actually fight some more this time. That was cool.
*and I LOVED Caspian being all like "i kept this for you" and he hands Edmund his flashlight. :teehee: I loved all of the tiebacks they had to PC.

END EDIT

Over all, beautifully put together. 20th Century Fox did a fantastical job! :D (the only thing I regret is that Disney is HUGE on marketing their movies and... well, 20th Century Fox... not so much. I haven't seen hardly anything out publisizing this movie. :() I couldn't be happier... been waiting over a year for this! My only regret is that now the Pevensies are done and gone. :tear: at least at the end of PC we knew Ed and Lucy would come back... now... nothing. That was indeed heartbreaking. Just the end where they were sitting on the floor of the room and Ed and Lu looked kinda... lost and sad and then with Eustace voice-overing about how Narnia would miss them always/more or whatever. It was sad. I <3 the Pevensies. *sighs* I also regret that I don't feel quite as Narniaish/obsessed as I did when PC came out. Gosh I was INSANE obsessed then. :/ Makes me all sad inside. Oh well. I will always have Narnia within me. :yes: it just never leaves ya."

A friend and I are going to go see it again this week perhaps... so I'm kinda looking forward to that. :)

-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 12:00 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Calloniel (PD) wrote:
[color=burlywood]But good ol' Peter and Susan were never suppose to show up. In fact, they showed up more throughout the film than they did in the book, if I remember right. But, yeah, there was a certain empty feeling without them there. :(

Oh, I know they weren't supposed to show up; but in the trailer, they showed all four Pevensies at the...wave to Aslan's Country, and we were speculating that maybe they'd bring Susan and Peter back just to give the Pevensies a solid send-off. The clips are still there (I think in the second trailer?) and they're clearly dressed in Narnian clothing, which is why I was expecting them. :)

Quote:
*I loved the morals/underlying themes taught. Among those, I LOVED Lucy wanting to be like Susan and the whole scene with her, Peter and Edmund. And just... yanno, Aslan talking to her about how special she was. That was epic.

I like that scene too! Especially how he didn't just say 'You're beautiful the way you are', which might be true but sounds kind of trite, you know? The way it played out in the movie, he was telling her not to devalue herself on something like outward appearance.

Quote:
*and I LOVED Caspian being all like "i kept this for you" and he hands Edmund his flashlight. :teehee: I loved all of the tiebacks they had to PC.

ME TOO!! :nod: Also, did anyone else notice that on the side of the map in the invisible mansion they had scenes of the battle in LWW? I squeed so hard when I saw it!

I'm going to see it again tomorrow, and hopefully I'll come out more excited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 9:22 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Oh, yes, I remember that shot well. :yes: but I suppose... perhaps it was just to... I dunno... draw people in by showing all 4? I don't know why they did it but I thought it was kind of odd the first time I saw it in the trailer. :P

Yesh, that whole scene is epically done. Love when she goes through the mirror and all that. It's just brilliant.

I did notice that! :P seems like every movie has shown call-backs to LWW/The Golden Age, which I think is nice.

hehe, I'm going to see it tomorrow too! :happy:

-sig by Loafers-

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next