Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: City of Ember
PostPosted: November 14th, 2008, 2:05 pm 
Maia
Maia

Originally a book. Even though this movie has been in theaters for some time, I just heard about it. I read the book quite some time back, and though I can't remember everything about the book, I think this movie sounds interesting. Has anyone seen it/read the book? Is it good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14th, 2008, 11:12 pm 
Maia
Maia

I read (and loved) all three of those books, and was really excited when I saw <i>The City of Ember</i> movie/book in Walmart - I'd had no idea they made it into a movie! Must have got very little publicity, sort of like <i>The Thief Lord</i> I suppose.

Anyway, it looks very good, and I can't wait to see it. Even though it looks like they changed quite a few things different from the book; since in the book there wasn't that much action, and just a lot of clue-hunting, which I suppose they didn't think sufficient to attract young audiences. Sigh. Anyway...

For anyone interested, here is the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hF72jiaj5Y

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 15th, 2008, 3:38 pm 

I love this book. :yes: But, unfortunately, I loath the movie. It follows the plot well enough, but puts too much of an emphasis on CGI. There are two instances in the movie where CGI is used, and it completely detracts from the almost organic feel of the rest of the movie. If they had stayed completely true to the book there wouldn't have been any need for CGI, and they could have saved themselves a lot of money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2008, 6:26 pm 
Elf
Elf

The movie is pretty good..kind of calustro phobic though. Vampire Anakin & I saw together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2008, 11:36 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

There's a book for this? :duh: I feel sorta stupid now. lol I guess I should've figured as much though... most movies are based on books anymore.

anyway, I tried to talk my mom into seeing it with me, but we never got a chance. When we went to see 27 Dresses or Prince Caspian (one of the two... I forget... maybe it was The Hulk even. lol) we saw a trailer for it and she said it looked good. So I thought maybe I could get her to see it with me (she's not a big movie-goer) but yeah. *shrugs* And now all of the theaters around us have gotten rid of it already. *be-moans the facts* I guess I'll just have to wait til the DVD is out. I'd be interested to learn more about the books in the mean time though. :yes: :whistle:

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2008, 12:07 am 

Like a summary or something like that? I read it a while back, but I could give some semi-spoiler free info if you'd like. Don't get too hooked on the booked if you're planning on watching the movie though. They're two completely different things to be honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 10:25 pm 
Maia
Maia

Okay, so I finally am taking time to review the movie - which I saw.

I was happily surprised with the casting. In short, the casting was excellent, but especially Dune, who was just like I imagined him.

It was a lot more... intense than the book. A lot more action and running and whatnot, opposed to the book's clever feel of figuring out clues.

The boat part, while not exactly true to the book, was SO cool!! Oh my word! My reaction was, "I want a water park ride like that!"

Overall, good book-movie adaption. It might not have stayed true, but it had a ton of fun elements, and the acting was excellent. Although I have to agree with Lar... the CGI was a bit overdone, and sometimes it rather frustratingly deviated from the plot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2009, 5:43 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

^haha, I should've read/remembered what Lar said waaayyyyy back when... before I sat down and read the book. :P 'cause I was extremely disappointed with the movie. :erm: It seemed as if they changed almost everything from the book except the two main characters and the very basic part of the storyline (and the city, of course, which, btw, I liked how they made the city look ect ;) that was very cool). I dunno, it might've been ok if I hadn't read/adored the book first... but now after that maybe I got my hopes up too high for the movie version. Honestly though I was almost devastated and sick after watching it and I consider myself pretty easy going towards book-to-movie adaptations. If they had only roughly kept with the book's original plotline (which, I suppose they did really... but still ;)) and already built-in peril, adventure and mystery it would have been just as good, if not much, much better. :confused: I mean, I get when directors and screenwriters change things from the books for the movies (like they did in RotK some and in PC) especially if it helps explain the story or if it adds extra awesome details and stuff, but some of the changes they made for this movie were... well, pointless to me. Why add action which isn't necessary when the book had enough mystery and suspense they could have used to make up for lost action? Sometimes it felt like Doon and Lina were just running around pointlessly in the movie.... you know? :erm: And to add all that action they took out all the mystery which was what I REALLY enjoyed in the book. It was pretty much all gone. And the Instructions weren't even like they were in the book. :blink: I dunno, it just felt like they pounded the lovely story down into a pulp to me. :( Also the giant bugs and the mole stuff left me going "what the heck?!"

I do agree with FM though, the casting was excellent. :yes: :D

so yeah, I had high hopes for this... so I'm a little let down and sad right now. :(

-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2009, 1:34 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Looks good..haven't seen it yet,though.:)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 9:07 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

^the story is really excellent, I think. :yes: I would highly recommend you read the books after watching the movie (if you do). They are very good. Much better than the movie (though most books are :P), but I think if you watched the movie first you could like it AND the books. :happy:

-sig by Loafers-

Post subject: Re: City of Ember
PostPosted: December 14th, 2018, 6:35 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I had never heard of this book or the series until the movie trailer released. I remember being intrigued, and my friend was like, "I love that book!!" And I was like, "It's a book?" And then I read it and loved it and I love the film! It's so well made.
Did you know that they built the set in the studio that they filmed Titanic in? They needed something big enough to fit the whole city inside of.

Profile       WWW