Pan's Labyrinth vs. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
300 vs. Troy 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject: The Prestige vs. The Illusionist
PostPosted: April 11th, 2010, 5:57 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

<center>Image</center>
Hello and welcome to this programme that doesn’t seem to get a name yet. Now, based on popular votes, today we’ll be examining two movies that came out in 2006. The Illusionist and The Prestige. Now both of these period films featured stage magicians and...that’s about it. So without further ado, let’s begin!

The Magicians
Alfred Borden (The Professor) and Robert Angier (The Great Danton) vs. Eduard Abramovich (Eisenheim the Illusionist)

Now normally I would do a protagonist/antagonist thing but this is the Prestige. It’s hard to tell if there are protagonists or antagonists in that movie. And to be quite frank, I don’t think the magician in the Illusionist was that wonderful of a person. Believe me, after Fight Club, Edward Norton can do no wrong to me. But let’s see if we can get this straight. In the movie, he wants the duchess. To get her, he basically frames her future husband for her supposed murder, which drives him to suicide. Now granted this is nothing compared to the stuff both Borden and Angier did but the thing is, the Illusionist kinda made us like Abramovich, which of course is something I don’t like. What did I think of him as a character in general? Well, I think he was all right. No means is he Jake Sully but I thought the character wasn’t that grand. He didn’t seem to inspire that sense of amazement most magicians do, but when he was doing the séance tricks, he was just perfect. Calm, quiet, gently summoning spirits. That was definitely Edward Norton’s strong suit.

What’s incredibly interesting is that two magicians in The Prestige are completely different. Borden is more concerned about the method while Angier is more concerned about the showmanship and it really shows in the movie. Now what’s absolutely amazing is that both Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale had to play two kinda different characters in the movie. Jackman has to play Angier and his very drunk double and Bale plays two twins. Okay granted, at any given time one of the twins is completely silent but you notice little subtleties between both twins. I just think it’s absolutely bloody brilliant. Some people criticise Bale’s acting before but in the Prestige, I think he does a fantastic job. While there are some scenes where a little more effort towards emotion is helpful, he was still good. Jackman also did a great job, gleefully showing off his tricks but turning an incredibly dark side when required. I think I’m not alone when the morality shift occurs when Angier takes Borden’s daughter away from him and tears up his secret, leaving him to be executed the next day. At that point, we start thinking Borden as the tragic hero and Angier the flawed villain. Or whatever they are. Tough call here but I’m going to give the point to the Prestige.

The Prestige: 1 The Illusionist: 0

The Supporting Characters

Okay let’s first look at the love interest. The Illusionist had one played by Jessica Biel and well, she’s not an incredibly talented actress nor was her character particularly compelling. She was just a duchess who wanted to find true love and blah blah blah, it sounds like something from a Disney animated flick. Not really bad but it’s not a strong character to start out with and the acting is at best subpar. By contrast, the love interests in the Prestige exist simply to show the destructive paths of Angier and Borden. Piper Perabo’s character’s death sets off Angier’s quest for vengeance and Scarlett Johansson’s and Rebecca Hall’s characters are slowly driven away as the obsessions of Borden and Angier only increases. So, not a lot to go on from here.

Because the stories are rather different, the supporting characters are different. Because the Illusionist mostly ignore the technical methods of the magic tricks, it doesn’t have illusion engineers like Cutter, who is played by Michael Caine. Cutter was an unusual character, a bit of a mysterious character. We never got to know how he started out and all that. But not as mysterious as DAVID BOWIE as Nikola Tesla. He just utterly steals every scene he’s in, unless he’s sharing it with Andy Serkis. Good thing he wasn’t wearing his Goblin King costume otherwise the fangirls will spontaneously combust into flames of delight or something. Like Cutter and everyone else here, he's a bit of an enigma. The machine he develops is never really explained and it really helps with the movie. So who do we have on the Illusionist? Paul Giamatti and Rufus Sewell. They aren’t horrible actors by any means but the lines and roles they were given wasn’t that...great. Plus there were a few times where Rufus Sewell was just chewing the set, not really acting. As for the characterisation, I have a nasty feeling the whole “overthrowing the throne” was added on to the Crown Prince at the last minute to make him more evil. That was my main problem with this movie. Everyone was incredibly good or evil, no grey spaces. Inspector Uhl is all right but nothing really special. The Prestige wins.

The Prestige: 2 The Illusionist: 0

The Illusions and Effects

While the Prestige had its lovely magic tricks, I thought they were way too gritty to possess the sense of charm and illusion like they normally should. Granted, I think that was the point of the movie but a little fluff and romanticism would have been nice. Of course, the Illusionist took this and ran with it. With the rapid growing orange tree, the red hooded spectre in the mirror, the butterflies holding the handkerchief, etc. It was very magical (hahaha) and I enjoyed it for that. Point for the Illusionist.

The Prestige: 2 The Illusionist: 1

The Story

Okay well here’s the big part of the movie. The Illusionist had a very fairy tale esque story. Poor boy meets beautiful princess, wants to scr-, I mean, run off her but can’t because evil prince is in the way, poor boy becomes magicians and makes himself and beautiful princess disappear. While the Prestige had poor boy accidentally kills rich boy’s wife, rich boy gets mad and tries to kill poor boy, poor boy makes an awesome trick, rich boy wants to duplicate, almost everyone dies. If there’s anything in this world I love more (okay, excluding Natalie Portman), it’s moral ambiguity. Shades of grey and delight, ladies and gent. The thing with stories like the Illusionist is that you’re placed in a delicate position when you’re confronted by someone like Abramovich who framed an innocent Crown Prince for murder. You’re not quite sure where to stand. Meanwhile Borden’s obsession in keeping his twin a secret driving his wife to suicide is equally heinous but we’re not expected to support him. The presentation in the Prestige was absolutely beautiful. The suspense being drawn out to the nth degree. The fact that this movie was directed by the same person who directed The Dark Knight is obvious here. I’m pretty sure he used it this movie as a practice run for the presentation of the movie. I still get goosebumps as we close in on Angier’s dead body in the tank before Thom Yorke’s beautiful “Analyse” takes me away. Point goes to the Prestige and with it ,the winning crown.

The Prestige: 3 The Illusionist: 1

Now remember this is all opinion but you’re welcome to share your own. And please vote for the next round. Until then, this is Caunion signing off.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2010, 7:21 pm 

Really interesting analysis, Cauny! And I agreed on quite a few points on The Prestige, however, I haven't seen The Illusionist so I'm not sure how to judge. I shall seek to do so soon though.

The Prestige's complicated plot made my head hurt in a rather pleasant way. I loved dissecting the scenes and each one had such meaning behind it. It was never black and white, straight forward. You had to think about it. And it'll always appeal to me, how heavy the story tended to be. It also helps that there were two diaries within a diary. And that just screws with a person's head really.

I didn't realize people were critical of Christian Bale's performance in The Prestige, because I rather praise his acting above Hugh Jackman's if it came down to it. Pulling off two completely different, yet the same personality as Borden and Fallon could not have been easy but he did it, because of his rigorous acting. To me, it makes sense that he would be more emotionless because of his obsession with precise methodology.

This movie is easily my favorite role of Christiane Bale's.

About the poll: I was going back and forth between Pan's Lab vs. LWW and 300 vs. TROY, because I REALLY LOVE TROY. But I haven't seen 300. And with Pan's Lab and LWW, I've seen both, LOVE both but find them two completely different identities, so I'm curious as to how you'll be comparing them.

Cheers!

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2010, 10:46 pm 

That was super interesting! I have yet to see the Illusionist (orange tree?), but I love the Prestige. I love all movies that make me try to fit together puzzles while I watch them. And then once the movie is over make me want to watch it again so that I can catch all the little things that I didn't know were important the first time around.

Looking forward to the next one!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2010, 5:59 pm 
Elf
Elf

I, like these other two loverlies, have yet to see The Illusionist! :O My friend Kellie tells me that I should see it though and I'll have to watch it soon and give you my opinion on it! This was a very neat comparison! I love the idea and the setup!

The Poetry Project.
Inwe's Facebook

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: The Prestige vs. The Illusionist
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 12:40 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Prestige is definitely the better movie. It is the most interesting, and more captivating. And the twists in the story are insane! I love how you can watch it multiple times and still see things you didn't see before. They put alot of effort into this movie.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 6th, 2012, 12:50 pm 
Vala
Vala

So, I own both films, and have watched them each quite a few times. But, there are some people to whom I would never recommend The Prestige. It is so much darker than The Illusionist, so there are actually only a few people with whom I am comfortable watching it (knowing that it won't cause them undue distress). The Illusionist, on the other hand, makes far more frequent appearances at film nights and such in my house.

But....without any competition, I love The Prestige much more. It is so much more mentally stimulating, and I still consider it to be Nolan's best film. The soundtrack is truly background music, and when played independently of the film can produce a very somber atmosphere without an obvious cause.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2012, 12:04 pm 

Finally got around to seeing The Illusionist, and thought of this thread again so I figured I'd come back and share.

To me, The Prestige is a story about magicians while The Illusionist is a story about love. The Prestige much more heavily focuses on the technical and "how" aspect of the magic, while The Illusionist is more of a "look I can do things so I can frame people well." Personally, I like to see the "how". I kept expecting Uhl to find out how he did the spirits, and I thought that was going to be a cool reveal at the end. And instead it was just a Romeo-and-Juliet-esq type of thing that we were all figuring out as it went along. It rather disappointed me, since I found the magic so much more interesting. (I'm betting it had to do with him saying "leave the lamps" when they were packing stuff up...but we'll never know.) I guess mostly because I felt like it was a cheap cop-out by the director to NOT have to know how they were done.

Overall the Illusionist was an okay movie, but I'd really only watch it for Edward Norton and I'd much rather watch the Prestige given a choice.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 4th, 2012, 1:53 am 
Istari
Istari

I have to go with The Prestige, not only was it a treat mentally, but I loved the twist with the twins and with the double, and I agree both actors performances were amazing with playing those different roles, and heck they were fantastic throughout the whole movie. And I also have to pick Prestige because I absolutely love Hugh Jackman!

PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 4:20 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This is so hard to pick but I am in love with The Prestige; so Gothic.

Profile       WWW