Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What are the books that you could not finish?
PostPosted: October 28th, 2015, 3:52 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I have not read it but from what I know I would say that is an appropriate response.

The hardest books for me were school books! Lol science was always hard and math...

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: August 11th, 2016, 9:29 am 

RachellovesLOTR wrote:
I found World without end by Ken Follet to be too inappropriate for my tastes (even if I am a young adult), so I quit reading. I mean, I like for my stories to have edge and adventure, but overly inappropriate or sexual and it gets old.

Ugh, that's a terrible, terrible book. I also couldn't finish it. Written with no regard for historical detail, and the sex was utterly gratuitous and in terrible taste.

I didn't finish Outlander this summer. I thought it'd be a sort of feminist Game of Thrones, but it's just a romance novel. It was absorbing enough to get me through an awkward vacation but as soon as I got home I dropped it. Might give the TV series a try, though.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2016, 5:20 pm 

I couldn't finish Jean M. Auel's The Land of Painted Caves. The earlier books were among my favorites during my teenage years, but this last one was too slow, too detailed, and not in line with the earlier books at all (storywise).

PostPosted: September 19th, 2017, 10:42 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Leaving aside religious tomes (almost all of them have sections of what I can only call mind-numbing lawyer’s legalese), Milton Friedman’s “Capitalism and Freedom” is the one that, though a tad above 200 pages long, was the most serious challenge. After written comments about his statements on the first six pages (basically having shredded moronic idiocy), I needed a pause before I gave it a try again.

Vaguely like what happened after my wife and I first saw “The Fellowship of The Ring” the PJ movie the first time on, memory is fuzzy, maybe a Thursday. We went back to the cinema on Saturday to give it a second chance because after Thursday, I could not have told you what actually happened in that movie. I had an Encyclopedia Britannica (slight exaggeration) in my mind of every time where PJ deviated from the book. Only after the second viewing did I know what happened in the film.

Not that Milton got everything wrong (I think even Hitler got things right once or twice – though considering his having ruled for twelve years, and babbled for at least ten years more, it’s a pathetic quotient). But I then realized that “Capitalism and Freedom” was just another religious tome! Filled with dogmas that the true believers simply did not challenge – though these dogmas crumble to dust when challenged by reality (why does that seem so familiar?). The only reason that I actually made it through to the end of the book was its relative shortness.

There’s one funny thing. I remembered the title of Friedman’s book as being “Capitalism and Democracy”. Don’t ask me why. We now know that a human being’s “memory” is something that seriously needs to be kept out of a court of law for reasons of unreliability. Maybe because in my memory, I was fixed on a “brilliant” insight on the title that I had remembered: “Capitalism OR Democracy” would be fitting. Friedman did not fall into that trap. Freedom can be an ambivalent term: freedom for whom? As far as I can tell, Friedman and those who influenced him, and those whom he influenced, were and are neofeudalists. Rich people don’t pay taxes, poor people do. Read Mark Twain about this, tax evasion crime may be the oldest crime in the US, which nominally considered itself to be a non-feudal society. But wait. They were fixated in opposition against George III (Parliament was a bit of a fuzzy enemy). And the original gripe was “no taxation without representation!” Now, the last two words have disappeared …

PostPosted: July 8th, 2022, 5:11 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

There are many books that could make me close them without even reading the first chapter. It's much easier to say what impressed me a lot. I think I can safely add works of william shakespeare to that number. I rightly consider ego a great man who played an important role in his time. To make it easier for you to find everything you need related to this man, I advise you to look at https://shakespeareintune.com/. It is very simple and convenient!