Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Country
PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 12:00 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Anyone else here like country music? I have a pretty limited group that I listen to, Johnny Cash, The Highwaymen and Willie Nelson, mainly because I haven't heard many others but I like the genre all the same.

Does anyone have any recommendations, modern or older? Who do you like to listen to? :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 12:33 am 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I'm a country girl, I can't deny it. Though alot of the newer stuff that's coming out lately, I don't like as much. I'm deffinantly not a fan of Taylor Swift, at all, but I LOVE Carrie Underwood and Gretchen Wilson.

And Josh Turner? You could just melt into his voice! But my mom's favorite is Shania Twain, while my dad's a big Rodney Atkins fan(He like 'Going Through Hell', and sings 'I'm Watching You' with my little brother, and play 'Cleaning This Gun' whenever I bring some of my guy friends over to hang out even though I'm not dating).

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 9:42 pm 

I had a strange upbringing when it came to music. :lol: My dad was all about classic rock and roll and always (jokingly) said that country music would rot my brain.

What did my mom listen to?

Country music. :duh: Her favourite artist being Alan Jackson. Whom I, growing up, HATED. I still don't really like him (for no reason at all, I just do - I think it's the fact that he never takes off his hat ... just something wrong with that ... WHAT'S UNDER THERE???? :lol:) but there are a few songs from him that I really do like.

But growing up, I had one love and one love only and that was for Garth Brooks. :notworthy: People can say what they want about how he pretty much single handedly revolutionized country music, but I love him and all his music. I think by the time I was 10, I had every word to every song he sang memorized. :lol: He is HANDS DOWN my favourite country artist. My childhood could probably be recounted through his music. ;) Can I just say that when I found out he came out of retirement, that I nearly lost it at the possibility of FINALLY getting to see him in concert? XD ONE DAY! Even if I have to sell and appendage or two or my soul or unborn children. :lol:

I am actually a pretty big fan of country music. It comes and goes, but I grew up with it so it's a part of who I am so I can't hate it, and most of the time I love it. Something to be said for coming from the west and a rural state, etc. :P Recently, I've grown to love it a lot more and I listen to it quite a bit. (And REALLY recently, I think my newfound love of "Deadwood" and "Justified" have really sparked an increased interest in country/bluegrass :P)

And while a lot of my friends find it strange that I enjoy country music (god forbid I listen to anything other than indie-alternative-whatever ;)), there is something to be said for driving somewhere in the summer with the windows rolled down and country music playing. Feels like home to me. Lots of memories of driving down dirt roads or back roads or through a field or something in the summer with country playing soundtrack to whatever was going on. :P

I like Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood and Gretchen Wilson and ... lots others. :P I usually listen on the radio and rarely catch who's who. Ha ha ha ha!!

Then there's Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. But those are like in a category unto themselves for being EPIC. And classic/old school country.

Mah JFishness, can I just say that I love that you are getting into country music? :lol: Shouldn't be a surprise though! I'm not really sure what to suggest except what I've already mentioned. Bluegrass (although a completely different genre) is a suggestion. And just listening to a country station (if you can find one across the pond) and you'll probably get a feel for the modern country era.

Sig: Teh Nurr

I've met Eru & Eä & Ellie & teh Arweb & Naur & Elenya & POTR!

POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 11:47 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Speaking of Bluegrass... I happen to be a fiddle player myself! Charlie Daniels is my hero!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 12:14 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I LOVE FIDDLES!!

Seriously, I love "twangy" country music, and if there is a fiddle or something with strings involved that just makes my day. Some of the BEST western music involves fiddles/violins. MUSIC PLEASE!

I will try Josh Turner. I'm not a great fan of modern country either from what I've heard. I think there are too many trying to capture the style of an era that has passed because the talent has gone now. I've heard Shania Twain. :no: I tend not to listen to female singers full stop, unless they're Broadway, which is werid. :P

LOL Monty! As long as you don't sell something you're going to need later in life, you go girl.

I'll have to have a listen to 'ol Garth. Heard of him or course, and I may be surprised when I listen to some of his songs that I actually know them so I'll have a look. :yes:

You know what I call a certain type of country music or at least a song that to me, sounds country? Route 66 music. When I get me my 1950's open top car, and I'm cruising down Route 66 with Jeff Fahey... I want Johnny Cash and the Eagles "Take It Easy" and anything else I think is country, blasting out. :lol:

Honey lamb.. we here in the UK have only just got double cream Oreos... there ain't do way in this dang blasted spit o' land, that thar'll be a country ra-de-o station. More chance of snow in Arizona.

And I was brought up on Johnny Cash I'll have you know. My mother listened to him a lot, and then I found out my grandmother had tickets to see him once in the 80's... then he cancelled. :-( Mind you, I would have been ashamed to know the great JC played ina dump like Winsford. ;)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 8:33 pm 
Elf
Elf

I've been raised on country Music, and my Dad and I are firmly of the 'King George Strait' school of thought. We listen to Country every day, and with my Dad growing up in the heydey of Randy Travis and Alan Jackson, it's a pretty stark constrast to the 'modern' tastes of my sisters :P.

Personally, I love the old music, in particular Don Williams, Johnny Cash, and George Jones. As for the newer stuff, I have a fit every time Taylor Swift is mentioned as Country, but I do appreciate the new folks such as Luke Bryan, Craig Campbell and others.

Justin Moore, in my opinion, is one of the best rising stars in the industry. He's modern enough to make it, but his songs are firmly entrenched enough in country subjects to keep me fixated.

To wind this post up before I wind up blabbing, my favourite songs of all time:

"Designated Drinker" by Alan Jackson and George Strait

"Coal Miner's Daughter" by Loretta Lynn

and

"You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive" by Patty Loveless

Son of Bellatrix

Banner by Pandora

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 11:32 am 

I'm rather a fan of the Americana/bluegrass/country-esque music. I sort have always preferred the bluegrassy side to country. If you love fiddles and Appalachia, you must check out Old Crow Medicine Show. They're an old-time string band... I absolutely adore them. They're rendition of Wagon Wheel is so nice and I love the song James River Blues.

If you're interested in this genre of country, Old and in the Way is also quite good. They're from the 1970's but still catchy. Jerry Garcia from the Grateful Dead was in this band. Cherry Garcia anyone?

[Will accept any PM! So PM me! :teehee:]

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 12:47 pm 

I've never been a huge country music person, but my roommate last year had CMT (country music tv station) on ALL THE TIME. So I heard all the new music videos and actually came to like a few. :P Personal favorites are Lady Antebellum, Brad Paisley, and Carrie Underwood.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Country
PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 10:48 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Location: Look to your left. Now back at this text. Did you see me?

Mmmm, country music. I'm not very particular in that I listen to country music and country music only or anything; I'll listen to just about anything. But I write almost exclusively to country music. It's just how I do.

Some of my favorite artists are: Rodney Atkins, Lonestar, Josh Turner, Blake Shelton, SHeDAISY, Miranda Lambert, Johnny Cash, The Band Perry, and Eric Church.

Bold denotes the fact that I really, really like that artist.

And currently, as of 3/17/11, my favorite song period no exceptions is Love Like Crazy by Lee Brice. It's just wonderful.

"old soldiers never die, they just fade away."
- general macarthur

graphics by goldstrike
the barracks

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 5th, 2011, 6:51 pm 
Istari
Istari

I love country I try to listen to it whenever I can.. listening to garth brooks as I type:) My favs are George Strait and Carrie Underwood.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2011, 3:27 pm 
Elf
Elf

What? No one's mentioned Alabama? I was raised on that band! I remember being four years old and singing along to 'Born Country', and it's still one of my favorite songs to this day.

Other favorite country artists of mine include Carrie Underwood, Clint Black, Dierks Bentley, Rascal Flatts, and of course Garth Brooks and George Straight. I'm unfortunately not very familiar with some of the newer country music though, as it just isn't something that I keep up with, but one of these days when I get hungry for new music I might just go look up all of the country songs that are on top of the charts.

Love fiddles, banjos, and folksy stuff in general. -nod-

And Taylor Swift's newer stuff, I have to admit. Maybe she's more pop, but...eh. :p

Oh, and Bon Jovi's country-flavored stuff is love. Actually, well, just Bon Jovi in general but yeah.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 10:53 pm 
Istari
Istari

Yeah, I miss Alabama too bad the retired, but i heard some rumors that they were coming back!

PostPosted: June 1st, 2011, 1:44 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Location: Look to your left. Now back at this text. Did you see me?

Alabama is featured on Brad Paisley's Old Alabama. It's new vocals :D

"old soldiers never die, they just fade away."
- general macarthur

graphics by goldstrike
the barracks

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 1st, 2011, 10:42 am 
Istari
Istari

I kind of like the guy who won American Idol this year, he sang a lot of country songs and he has a nice deep voice like Chris Young

PostPosted: June 5th, 2011, 11:10 pm 
Istari
Istari

I don't listen to a whole lot of country music in general, though I do like some Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley,Miranda Lambert, and Lady Antebellum.
don't know if you've heard of John Denver, but I've grown up listening to him, and I still like his music.

thanks for the Hobbit Team banner, Lembas!

PostPosted: August 8th, 2011, 5:40 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I love country. George Strait is my favorite singer. I listen more to classic and Texas country than anything, some Nashville country I like but most of it I don't. I think they go to far away from the original country sounds. Other then George Strait some of my other favorite singers/bands are Ryan Bingham, Sunny Sweeney, Rob Baird, and Chris Knight. My favorite song is "The Jealous Kind" by Chris Knight.

Profile       WWW