Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobbit Behind The Scenes Video With PJ Exposes Troubles
PostPosted: November 24th, 2015, 7:55 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Quote:
The production was basically a complete mess from beginning to end. This news comes from Jackson himself and his production team in a behind-the-scenes video where they talk about how difficult the production was. They were completely unprepared in every way, and it’s interesting to see how candid they are about how they weren’t ready to shoot these movies and all the problems and struggles they went through.

There were no storyboards for the film, the scripts weren’t completed, they were spontaneously shooting stuff, Jackson didn’t know what to shoot or how to shoot it. He explains that there was no prep time and no time to think! He literally winged it almost the entire time. There’s even footage of the day Jackson and the studio agreed to stop shooting The Battle of the Five Armies for several months. Why? Because they actually needed time to try and prepare such a massive battle. Up until that point it was just a complete mystery how the battle would play out, and they were just shooting random fighting *beep*. In the director's own words, “I didn’t know what in the hell I was doing.”

The production crew is actually saying these things on camera, and it’s absolutely fascinating to watch! As I’m watching it, I’m like, "Can they say this stuff?!" This might just be one of my favorite featurettes because of how open and honest everyone was about the production. Now I want to see a movie based on the making of the Hobbit trilogy!

Source: http://geektyrant.com/news/peter-jackson-was-absurdly-unprepared-when-he-filmed-the-hobbit-watch-him-talk-about-it

And now But now Jackson's spokesman released a statement:

Quote:
"Somebody has decided to create this cut-down, using only the sections of The Gathering Clouds that discuss the difficulties faced, not the positive ways they were addressed and overcome – which are also covered in this and other featurettes.

Peter has never made a secret of the fact that he took over the Hobbit directing job with very little preparation time remaining before shooting had to begin.

It was a challenge he willingly took on. His comments are an honest reflection of his own personal feelings at times during the movie’s production."

The comments did not reflect on the production of the movies, or the finished result, the spokesman said.

"Peter is very proud of the three Hobbit movies, and actually regards this period as one of his happiest film-making experiences – something he has said publicly many times."

Source: http://geektyrant.com/news/peter-jacksons-spokesman-says-behind-the-scenes-hobbit-footage-was-taken-out-of-context

The video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk

Last edited by Thranduil on November 25th, 2015, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New Hobbit Behind The Scenes Video With Peter Jackson
PostPosted: November 24th, 2015, 8:08 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

This all makes sense.

After filming "The Lord of the Rings" Mr. Jackson asked Viggo Mortensen to come play Aragorn in the Hobbit and Viggo Mortensen turned him down claiming Aragorn was not in the Hobbit and it would not make sense.

So then he had Orlando Bloom come back to play Legolas. Which Orlando Bloom did and in fact this Legolas was better than the LOTR version as he was more serious and I don't think he smiled during the Hobbit films.

Now the Extended version of BOTFA is rated R this all adds up.

Now I love the Hobbit films and LOTR equally as I love Star Wars (Original) and the the prequels equally. They each had their good and bad. I am thankfully for what we got, but this does make more sense.

Post subject: Re: Hobbit Behind The Scenes Video With PJ Exposes Troubles
PostPosted: November 30th, 2015, 1:06 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Hm... Very interesting indeed!

I habe to agree. I enjoy all six movies, though they are for sure very different. Just like starwars. Some like the old knes, some like the new ones... I like them all. They all have ups and downs but they are all the world (s) I love. Same with middle earth.

Starwars is mt scifi choice and middle earth my medieval choice!

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: November 30th, 2015, 6:05 pm 
Istari
Istari

Agreed Middle-Earth is awesome!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 12th, 2016, 8:53 pm 

It's hard to watch, that feature, but morbidly fascinating. BOTFA did feel very cobbled together to me. I guess it's nice to know that it wasn't for lack of trying. Still, when Inside Out was going wrong for Pixar, they delayed production for a year and fixed it. I feel like if PJ really wanted to make a good movie he would have lobbied for more time instead of piling on more effects and fight scenes and hoping no one would notice.

(PS moving this to Hobbit Movie Discussion :) )

PostPosted: August 13th, 2016, 12:19 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Tjat would make sense to delay it. I know a lot of people would have been upset but the true LOTR fans would rather see a better movie in one more year rather than a not as good Hobbit one year sooner I Would think.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: August 13th, 2016, 1:28 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I watched BOTFA exactly once and could see that it was a hot mess of coddled together scenes. The whole thing lacked any consistency, and appeared PJ just wanted to get it over with.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 16th, 2016, 4:38 am 

^ I've only seen it once, too, and not even in the theater. And I actually paused it and took a break halfway through because it just wasn't interesting me. Constant blood and gore gets old after an hour and half.

Jax Nova wrote:
Tjat would make sense to delay it. I know a lot of people would have been upset but the true LOTR fans would rather see a better movie in one more year rather than a not as good Hobbit one year sooner I Would think.

I know I would. It's such a disappointment, because the LotR movies showed such respect for Tolkien and Middle-earth. There was some really nice things in AUJ, but it just started to degrade as the movies went on. I think it must of fallen by the wayside in the rush and the stress.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2020, 12:47 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Of the Hobbit Trilogy, this one is my least favourite because there wasn't enough focus on the dwarves and their character development as there should have been, and the theature version is much worse than the extended edition. With An Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug, I at least liked them enough to get both the theature versions and extened editions mainly because I couldn't wait for the extended editions to come out and it took me a long time to risk watching the extended BOFA. It did fix some things - Alfrid doesn't seem to be as annoying in the extended version than in the theature version and he doesn't seem to hog as much undeserved screen time in the extended version (that, however, could just be that his scenes are broken up more making him less noticable...) But there is a lot that could have been done to make it better than it was and a shame, given the care that was taken with LOTR. Having said that, of 'modern' films, (those which have been made since 2005 till now), I like the Hobbit trilogy better than those because sci-fi, fantasy and super hero films seem to be pretty dire productions to what they used to be. It's also a shame because we know that some of the actors that are in the Hobbit, espeaically the younger ones like Aiden Turner, are talented and they weren't given a proper oppertunity to show that in the films. (If you watch the live action version of Disney's Beauty and the Beast, you can see the effect of how CGI can ruin a film.)

Favourite Characters:
The Hobbit: Kili Thorin Fili, Bilbo Beorn Balin Roac
LOTR: Frodo Sam Pippin Merry Radagast Treebeard
Silmarillion: Tilion Orome Yavanna Mahal Vana

Profile       WWW