Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The final chapter, The Battle of the Five Armies.
PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 10:35 pm 
Vala
Vala

I just came back from the midnight world premiere, it's halv past 3 in the morning, and I have been crying a lot. I read the Hobbit when I was 7, that was 19 years ago. Today I thought a journey ended for me, and yet I realized that as long as the books and movies exist, the journey cannot end. Not for me.

I loved it, I thought it was unbelievable, I have cried, as I said, a lot.

Could things have been improved on? Probably. But do I care? No, not right now. My emotions are all over the place at this point.

Did anyone else love it too?

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

Post subject: Re: The final chapter, The Battle of the Five Armies.
PostPosted: December 10th, 2014, 11:19 am 
Elf
Elf

I saw it last night (twice whee!!) in the premier night and before that in the guest event. I absolutely loved the final hobbit movie, I cried and cried.. First when Smaug died, and then a lot when Fili, Kili and Thorin died. The actual sobbing started in the funeral part in Dale. And the ending.. the ending.. oh my Eru it was perfect. I also fell in love with the soundtrack, amazing job from Howard Shore again. This romance thing between Tauriel and Kili didn't go too far, which was good.

Then.. Thranduil. Oh.. He looked good, was absolutely fantastic and that armor.. (*faints*) And some of his lines were something I will quote in the future- but first I need to remember them properly hehe..

Thorin was amazing. His voice turning to sound more and more like Smaug's was horrifying but amazing. (Why I keep saying amazing? Well.. cause the movie was amazing.. :-D )

Fili and Kili, poor little dwarves. :'-( Of course I knew that Thorin and Fili and Kili were going to die, but when it happened.. I'm not sure did I actually scream NO!, but I was just like.. Fili cannot die like that. He cannot die! No! But he did and I am as sad as Tauriel. I think I finally accepted the romance thing between Tauriel and Kili. Poor Tauriel. Let's see is she going to return the rune stone back to Dís in the extended edition.

And the part where Gandalf and Bilbo were on the border of the Shire, I so wanted Gandalf to say: " Bilbo, the Ring is still in your pocket..", it would have been so perfect. But maybe we'll see that too in the extended edition.

Legolas was.. well. I couldn't breathe properly when I first saw him on the screen. and that fight scene with Bolg. Oh.. (*faints again*)

Elrond was great, that using of the sword against the ringwraiths.. ofc I knew that he was a good fighter, but that he was that good..

Galadriel's turning into a bit "evilish" version of herself was something I didn't expect, but liked it very much.

Ironfoot riding on the pig (or whatever that creature was).. hmm. No. It wasn't very good, maybe a little messy-furred pony would have been better.
The ending song made me cry in my seat till all the ending credits had stopped. Billy is so good singer. The song reminded me that this really is the last Hobbit film, maybe the last Middle-Earth film for at least ten years.

But! Thranduil's elk! No, that cute thing must survive! And all those poor elven soldiers.. :'-(

In short: the movie of unnumbered tears.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 10th, 2014, 1:18 pm 
Vala
Vala

Peter Jackson has however officially said that he is DONE with anything Tolkien related. And if someone else came along and said they wanted to do any of the other works... no, I don't know if I could trust that they'd do the previous saga just.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2014, 2:17 pm 
Istari
Istari

Bellatrix wrote:
Peter Jackson has however officially said that he is DONE with anything Tolkien related. And if someone else came along and said they wanted to do any of the other works... no, I don't know if I could trust that they'd do the previous saga just.

I have not seen the final film yet, so I can't say much about it yet, but I agree with you. Someone someday may try to remake the movies but I just don't think they could ever compare, because everything from the actors, to how the places looked, to the music, was perfect I just don't think it can be done.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 11th, 2014, 2:04 am 
Elf
Elf

^^ I agree. If there's new movies or tv series they won't be as good as the Jackson's versions were, at least if someone isn't able to do better versions.. what is not going to happen. Or if it happens, I'll be very surprised.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 13th, 2014, 12:00 pm 
Maia
Maia

It opens here next week. I'm excited.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 9:00 pm 
Ent
Ent

DON'T READ, IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE YET. CONTAINS SPOILERS.

I saw the movie on the 12th, when it came out. I am 100% dissapointed by it. The first ten minutes of the film, where Smaug raged destruction on Laketown, and Bard shot him out of the sky was the best of the whole film. The rest dragged on. I spent most of the film counting each of the five armies as they appeared, and mentally splicing apart the film, to what dragged on too long and could be clipped. It was completely obvious that they were dragging it out to fill the three hours. Even the actual end, it made me feel like they could have made it so much better. Like perhaps a tie in to older Bilbo writing his tale in the book, like in AUJ, he could have told some of what happened to the other characters, as far as he knew.

The thing that disappointed me most was the end. It was so abrupt, and there was no conclusion to any of the characters, they just suddenly dissapeared without any mention of what became of them. It honestly felt like the makers were desperate to fill the time, and make as many foreshadowing connections to LotR as possible. It was completely unnecessary.

Now, onto Tauriel. She had every single cliche, used to death, boring mary sue, fanfic thing thrown at her. The fact that Kili died saving her bugged me a lot. Instead of Kili heroically dying to protect Thorin, as he should do, he ditched him and died protecting that mary sue. If whoever come up with the whole Tauriel/Kili thing had such a big character crush on Kili, then why didn't they just write a fanfic and put it online?

Another thing that made no sense to me, was two things; 1, Thranduil made it adamantly clear that he did not concern himself with anything outside his own lands in DoS. 2, He seemed to know a great deal about Aragorn, who was probably about 20 (or there abouts) at this point, and born way out of the way of Mirkwood Forest.

After seeing the trilogy to the end, I really do feel that it could have easily been done in two films. If they had deleted the dragged out parts, and taken the best bits from BofFA, it could have easily been one film. Perhaps deleted a very unnecessary character, and maybe down played Legolas a little. AUJ was perfect, and I wouldn't have changed a thing about it. There really is no excuse for it. LotR for example, a lot happened in those films, and they never dragged any thing out.

♥ Married to Thranduil, 22 April 2014 ♥

Lónannûniel, Queen of the Woodland Realm ♦

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 16th, 2014, 3:16 pm 
Elf
Elf

I saw it last night and on the whole I really enjoyed it, more so than DoS. I think it was a fitting end to the trilogy and tied in nicely to LotR. My biggest criticism was that it was that there were times when it was reaching for the drama and emotions of LotR but always fell slightly short.

Proceed at your own risk as here be spoilers:

Things I liked
- Thorin's descent into madness- I was always slightly worried that film Thorin was too heroic, but his paranoia and 'Dragon sickness' was beautifully done. He was as stubborn and detestable as in the book, but you really felt the tragedy of it all as well which made his redemption more poignant. The scenes with Balin and Dwalin were so so well done.
-Thranduil - he was probably the character I was most worried about before the films were made as he's one of my favourites from the History of Middle Earth, but he was just as I wanted him to be.
- The Ladies- Galadriel, Sigrid, Tilda, Tauriel, and the random lake town lady (especially her) even Lobelia and her ridiculous hat. I knew Galadriel would be awesome, but the others were great too. I have a lot to say about Tauriel but I'll save it for another time because this post is long enough already. Yes a little too star crossed but I'm already sick of the hate and people calling her a Mary Sue- waaay to misinterpret things.
-Dain- CGI facelift aside (see below), the design was gorgeous and Billy Connelly was perfect, I loved his dialogue. I need to see concept sketches or fanart of him so I can truly appreciate him!
-The acorn (and Bilbo in general)- so wonderful, it's always seemed a bit wrong that Bilbo initially keeps the Arkenstone in the book because he's mesmerised by it's beauty, so I really liked that he didn't care for it. He witheld it for the right reasons.
-The White council being awesome- I loved seeing Elrond and Saruman kick butt, Saruman was particularly brilliant
-The end- I read speculation in 2012 that it would end on that scene. I thought it was too good to be true, but I'm so so glad, just perfect.
-Gloin wearing Gimli's helmet.... Or I guess in reality Gimli wears Gloin's helmet!
-Legolas- my poor beautiful baby. Such wonderful character development.
-Bombur

Things that could have been better
-Beorn- I wish we got to see more of him, I'm hoping there will be additional footage will be in the EE. He definitely deserved more than a little cameo.
-Comedy value trolls- they broke the atmosphere every time! I know you need some lightness and the trebuchet trolls were great, but Battering Ram Troll, Die and kill your mates troll, Gimpy Arm Troll, Prosthetic Legs Troll and all the numerous others were a bit silly.
-CGI face lifts- so so unnecessary, Dain got one, Old Bilbo got one and Legolas got a particularly ugly one at the beginning. It's not even like it was compensating for the actors being too old for the action, as Saruman looked pretty normal and his fight scenes were pretty flawless. Sort it out Weta!
-Alfrid- Ok minor rant, I have seen so much hate for Tauriel, but not a single criticism of Alfrid and he was majorly offensive and stupid. What was the point of him? We already knew Bard was a massive hero, without him always saving Alfrid. And the "comic" moments were just painful. He should have done something, even if it was as ridiculous as joining the orc army. I think Ryan Gage is fab, but Alfrid sucked.

& I desperately DESPERATELY need to know more about Legolas and Aragorn's epic adventures.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2014, 12:24 pm 
Istari
Istari

SPOILER ALERT! Read no further if you do not wish to have spoilers-

I saw the film last night...Imax 3D and all. Overall it was great, personally I think Bard pulled off his character the best...especially when he's like: "Bain, just look at ME" the lines were executed so well and I cried :'-(
But, of course, that was a minor thing to cry about. There were three deaths coming up...
Fili's death absolutely broke my heart...He got so little screentime, yet it hurt to watch. Didn't really like how they killed him off...it would have been more poignant had he died literally defending Thorin.

On to Kili...I wasn't paying as much attention to his death (had a splitting headache due to the 3D) but I disliked that he died trying to save Tauriel. I'm not a Tauriel hater per se, but if she had to be apart of a romance, I'd rather it be with Legolas. Kili was always so loyal to Thorin and I seriously doubt he would fall in love with an elf. Maybe flirt a bit, but not actually fall in love. Just saying. And the script was flawed there, heavy handed writing and all...I'm sure both the actors did there best, but their conversations felt unbelievable. It kind of ruined the death for me.

Thorin...oh man,the tears! I forgot to bring tissues, that was a colossal error of judgement. I loved that they included the line about hearth and home above gold and treasure...wow, just wow :'-(

Oh did I forget to mention Dain? I laughed so hard...the language he used wasn't exactly something I'd be comfortable saying, but for the purposes of the film it was funny. Hope there's more of him in the EE!

Legolas...like I said, I wish he and Tauriel were together! They would be a much better couple IMO. I loved how he spoke about his mother...that was sad. And I loved it when Thranduil spoke about her later on too. I cried. The Strider reference was cool, I know there was some controversy about it, but I loved it. Brought some LotR tie-ins.

Overall I loved the film. I plan on seeing it in 2D this weekend sincd I missed some of the movie. The stuff I disliked wasn't enough to ruin it for me. I sat through the theater for Billy Boyd's song. A very fond farewell indeed :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 18th, 2014, 9:47 pm 
Vala
Vala

Now that I live closer to the cinema I'm planning on seeing it again, in 2D this time. Probably tomorrow, or something like that. I saw flaws, but to be honest, I don't care about them. They weren't big enough for me to feel any anger really. Yes, Tauriel did a bit too much crying and then she just disappeared and was never heard from ever again - that didn't make any sense to me at all.

But it would have made even less sense for Legolas and Tauriel to end up together. Then there's the whole issue of where the f was she during LotR? Did she ditch him? Did he dump her? Did she die? And if so, how? God, I'm thankful they didn't do that with the movie.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2014, 7:26 pm 
Vala
Vala

Just came home after watching it a second time, in the town where I've celebrated Christmas and the cinema is huge and I had a deluxe seat and it was 3D HFR and it was magical. I cried even more this time. Will be seeing it in 2D in my hometown the day before New Years Eve though.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2014, 9:36 pm 
Elf
Elf

I haven't seen it. I can't actually see it because I can't go to the cinema. But I haven't entirely been sure if I want to see it after that travesty last year. (I still want to rinse my eyes out with bleach and erase it from my memory but I can't >:( )

So I'm just reading the spoilers here to see if I'll be able to watch it on Netflix (when it gets on there) without smashing my laptop with rage. Disappointed that the thing I really wanted to happen doesn't happen (Xena Warrior Elven Mary Sue dying a long, slow, painful death all alone and then nobody mentioning her ever again) and really quite angry about Kili's death and how they've changed that. (The stupid love triangle rubbish was not my only issue with DoS, there were masses of issues, but that's the one that makes me really rage :p )
Think I might wait to see if I can ever visit my other Tolkien crazy friend, make up a drinking game and watch it. (I've never been drunk in my life but I think I might need to be to watch it. :p )

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 3:31 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I thought the movie was lovely. I've seen it twice already, and may even see it a third time, just because I love these movies so much. :bye2:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 4:26 am 
Vala
Vala

I don't mind them creating Tauriel. Good on them for giving us a strong female character. I just don't like that they can't create a female character without having her thrown into a love triangle. But aside from that it's okay by me that she's in there.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 10:52 am 
Istari
Istari

Bellatrix wrote:
I don't mind them creating Tauriel. Good on them for giving us a strong female character. I just don't like that they can't create a female character without having her thrown into a love triangle. But aside from that it's okay by me that she's in there.

Agreed! I'd be totally ok with her, had she not been in a love triangle. I could buy a Kili crush, but not full "I don't want love" drama. Like seriously! Kili and Tauriel have talked like 4 times! Not enough time for true love to develop. Jusy sayin'!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 11:57 am 
Vala
Vala

I could be fine with a Tauriel/Kili love story. But throwing Legolas in there just messes up the next trilogy. Because then comes the questions "where did Tauriel go, is he still in love with her, did he ask her to leave Middle Earth, etc". I wish Legolas would have just loved her as a sister or something, because that would've made it all so much better.