Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Ring of Barahir
PostPosted: May 30th, 2008, 9:00 am 

I was wondering why they have Aragorn wearing the Ring of Barahir on his index finger in the movie. Could it be because it is more visible there?
I kind of like to think that it's because it's such an old ring and has been forged so many years ago for another bearer, now when Aragorn has it, he might not have the same size as Barahir. In the old days people might have been taller (at least the Númenoreans were, and I know it doesn't makes sense since Barahir wasn't Númenorean.. well, it's just a thought!!) and Aragorn who has lived the rough life as a ranger most of his life must have been.. well, certainly not fat, more like rather slin actually... so I like to think that it only fits him on the right index finger.. what again that's just my romantic imagination...
Any other thoughts or opinions?

Another question, which is more of a book question really. It is said that Aragorn gave the ring to Arwen Undómiel as a token of their engagement. But she wouldn't literally wear it, would she? I mean it's a man's ring and would definitely not fit her.
Secondly, what do you think became of the ring? Would Arwen pass it on to the Kings of Gondor and Arnor or take it to Cerin Amroth?

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 1st, 2008, 11:42 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Hmm... I would wonder if it had something to do with it being more comfortable worn there when he was fighting. He wouldn't wear it on his wedding finger anyway, and as my brother has the official replica I can tell you it is quite heavy, and he tends to wear it on his middle finger as well more to do with the weight than anything. I would have thought he wouldn't wear the ring on the middle finger to draw attention to the fact it was the Ring of Barahir so it must have been to do with comfort more than anything else.

She could have worn it around her neck on a chain I suppose, I know people do that.

Would Aragorn not have passed it down his line as did those before him?

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2008, 5:29 pm 

It makes good sense with the comfort in battle, though - and I'm not intending to compare myself with a butt-kicking Aragorn aka Viggo! - I tend to wear my rings on both index fingers but only my small, slim ones when I'm at work, otherwise they get in my way... say, if I should hold a sword I would probably prefer to wear my ring on the middle finger.. but each to his own! :-)

Well, yeah Aragorn might have gotten the ring back, but it is not mentioned afterwards - at least not to my limited knowledge. If I was Arwen (I wish!) I might have just kept it in my jewellery box! :P

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2008, 5:18 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think she kept it around her neck, but wouldn't she have hid it from her dad so he wouldn't know she was secretly engaged?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 13th, 2011, 6:26 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

It really does make sense for easy of use whilst wielding a sword.

Post subject: Re: The Ring of Barahir
PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 8:19 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

And I think it might be for aesthetic reasons too. Having the ring on a middle finger in a movie might, on quick glance, look like it's on the ring finger. Having it on the index finger not only makes it easier for good close up shots of it where you can see more of the ring, but it also clearly shows the audience (especially those not familiar with the history of the rings) that this is not a wedding band, nor is it just any other ring.

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 4:23 am 
Maia
Maia

I think you have a point as it would be most visible on his index finger so it would be a good choice. Also, since Aragorn spent years as a ranger no doubt he'd have to have done a fair share of fighting(fair share- understatement?) so it could have been a better choice as opposed to his middle finger which would cause problems if he had to for example punch someone as he did in Moria. Practical issues mainly.
Concerning when he gave the ring to Arwen, maybe she could have kept it on a chain around her neck? as she had given him the evenstar to wear so its almost like an exchange of betrothal items and the ring would never be able to fit her so keeping it on a chain may have been the best option.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 1:02 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

In the book when it was said that they "plighted their troth" in Lorien wasn't shown in the movie directly as that. In the film it was shown as Arwen giving him the Evenstar. They also don't make a great deal of explanation of who Barahir is. Most people assume "It's a King thing" if they notice it at all. I agree with the noticeably argument. "We took the time to make! And Samhill you're gonna see it!" (probably more of a costume department choice rather than Viggo's personal taste)

http://roleplayultimum.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://kyototig.posterous.com/shop-bann ... nd-baubles

PostPosted: September 16th, 2011, 6:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Eä wrote:
Another question, which is more of a book question really. It is said that Aragorn gave the ring to Arwen Undómiel as a token of their engagement. But she wouldn't literally wear it, would she? I mean it's a man's ring and would definitely not fit her.
Secondly, what do you think became of the ring? Would Arwen pass it on to the Kings of Gondor and Arnor or take it to Cerin Amroth?

I always thought she wore it around her neck on a chain. As for your second question, I think she would have kept it because it probably was her source of comfort after Aragorn died.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2011, 12:19 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

^ I would assume it would have passed down The Line of Kings as kind of a token of "I am descended from Barahir ergo I have right to throneship (if that's not a word, it should be"

http://roleplayultimum.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://kyototig.posterous.com/shop-bann ... nd-baubles

PostPosted: September 19th, 2015, 9:06 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

It was rather common in the middle ages that royalty wore their crest or signet ring on the index finger. It allowed free movement of the hand which was good when wielding a sword, and the ring was ready and easily used for seals and such.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Last edited by Hanasian on April 30th, 2016, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 17th, 2015, 1:17 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I think your logic makes perfect semse Ea. The fact that it was made for another to wear originally means it would not neccesarily fit Aragorn and so he would naturaly wear it on whatever finger it fit.

As for what became of it, I can't see arwen wearing it. Maybe on a chainaround her neck... Or not, considering how that went last time a middle earth individual worse a ring around their neck... ;). :p

I would immagine she would have passednit on to her son. That would be my thoughts.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: November 18th, 2015, 10:51 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

The Ring of Barahir was a gift from Finrod Felagund to Barahir, and was passed down by his son Beren Erchamion through his descendants over thousands of years.

By the Third Age, it was considered an heirloom of the House of Isildur and would have eventually been passed on to Eldarion, together with the other heirlooms of that House.

"JOIN THE EVILISHY NAZGÛL ALLIANCE FOR WORLD DOMINATION!"

"WE NEED MORE MINIONS!"

PostPosted: November 18th, 2015, 11:52 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

*nods*

That is what I would have assumed.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: October 31st, 2022, 2:13 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

where to watch t20 world cup 2022 in canada The T20 World Cup 2022 is under underway! Are you prepared to see the tense and thrilling matches that will be played at the T20 World Cup in Australia in 2022? This T20 season features a lot of drama, unexpected turns, and hard work from the players to put on a spectacle.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2022, 2:14 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

where can I watch mexican grand prixBuckle up to watch the Mexican Grand Prix live and free on ServusTV. On Sunday, October 30, 2022, Formula One will make its next visit at Autódromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City.

You may watch the Mexican Grand Prix live online for free on ServusTV in HD Quality (720p Zero Buffer), but as it is geo-restricted for those outside of Austria, you will require a more expensive service like ExpressVPN. To get started right away, simply follow the short instructions listed below."