Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mines of Moria
PostPosted: April 24th, 2013, 1:39 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Location: Rivendell, Lorien or Mirkwood; wherever there are any elves :)

I have recently been watching the film and have noticed some stuff about the time the Fellowship spends in Moria. For example, when the Balrog first appeared, they stood there for so long listening to Gandalf talk about it they wasted valuable time they could have used to escape in. Also, when they are leaving Moria, Aragorn is last on the steps and there are Orcs shooting at him. Out of all the arrows shot, not one even nearly hits Aragorn and somehow that seems unlikely to me. Thoughts and comments!

Post subject: Re: Mines of Moria
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2013, 1:08 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I agree he could have told them after but then that takes away the anticipation and it seems weird that not one hits him but anyway no physics allowed in middle earth! lol look at the goblin town scenes in the hobbit if you don't know what I mean x

PostPosted: May 1st, 2014, 10:21 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Location: Rivendell, Lorien or Mirkwood; wherever there are any elves :)

Haha I guess that's true :P.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2014, 2:03 pm 
Istari
Istari

I think Aragorn would have been killed if Boromir didn't call to him since he was in total shock that their leader was just killed. But yeah my sister and I always think about that, if they would have just started running they might have been able to beat it. but if they did do you think the balrog would have followed them out and all of Middle Earth would have been in trouble?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 1:01 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I agree.

I don't know why they didn't just run!

Gandalf would have been saved if they did.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 11:22 am 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

With the arrows, I always figured the goblins were pretty bad shots. Plus their arrows aren't exactly the best. I don't see goblins taking the time to craft their weapons to be as keen as an elf's bow. Before the Balrog when they had to jump the chasm the goblins shot at them and kept missing, and their arrows bounced off the stone. While either Aragorn or Legolas shot an arrow and got him between the eyes and the arrow stuck into the stone. So the goblins could have good aim, but their weapons? As someone who does bow hunting, I know from experience that if an arrow isn't straight or the fletching is messed up, you miss your mark because it doesn't fly straight. And a weak bow won't be able to embed the arrow into the target. My bow has a 50lb draw weight and my arrows can go through a deer but not much else. We have a hard practice target that my arrow sticks halfway through. And still sometimes wind can effect my arrows. My dad has an 80lb draw weight. His arrows fly straighter and faster and ain't nothin stoppin those suckers. It goes through our target and once went most the way through a tree... Do I would put that to goblins not having the best weapons.

With the Balrog, when they stand there, I kind of see Gandalf inwardly panicking for a moment. In a way he knew he had to face the Balrog. It was his test to be able to reach his next level as an Istari. It's not explained well, but early in Moria he mentions that there are some things against which he had not been tested. So it was a test for him (a bit like Galadriel had with the ring in Lorien). And I see Gandalf taking his time talking because he's thinking "this is a BAD time for this pop quiz to show up! I'm ill prepared and have these guys to look after! Okay, need a strategic possession. Run! To the bridge!" At least that's my (slightly light hearted) take on it.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 1:55 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I think Gandalf knew that he would have to replace Saruman. When he's flying over the mountains after escaping from Isenguard you can see a worried look on his face. He knew that he would have to die in order to be reborn. He also knew that the Balrog could be a powerful ally to Sauron. Although he didn't want to face the beast, he knew he had to for the safety of the world.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 2:15 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Wow....

That makes a lot of sense Eru and ElfQ

I had not thought of those things.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2016, 11:31 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Eruraina wrote:
With the Balrog, when they stand there, I kind of see Gandalf inwardly panicking for a moment. In a way he knew he had to face the Balrog. It was his test to be able to reach his next level as an Istari. It's not explained well, but early in Moria he mentions that there are some things against which he had not been tested. So it was a test for him (a bit like Galadriel had with the ring in Lorien). And I see Gandalf taking his time talking because he's thinking "this is a BAD time for this pop quiz to show up! I'm ill prepared and have these guys to look after! Okay, need a strategic possession. Run! To the bridge!" At least that's my (slightly light hearted) take on it.

I am sitting here now watching this scene and it made me come to this message for because I was going to post something similar to what is quoted above which is a great take on that moment when Gandalf closes his eyes as the balrog is coming and it's just a great job of acting is all I can say because he shows serious fear in his face, and as it was put he was inwardly panicking No doubt and it's one of my favorite acting moments, definitely top 3 in all the movies.

And it's these little moments that even after watching these movies hundreds of times I still get great joy and satisfaction from watching them.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2016, 1:31 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I have ALWAYS been like... "Stop talking and RUN!!" Lol
They do waist a lot of valuable time.

As to Aragorn almost being hit ( or the lack thereof ) It seems to me he actually sucks to dodge an arrow or two and one of them hits the bricks of the stairs by his feet at one point.

We do have to remember, orcs would not be near as accurate as aragorn or Legolas and goven the distance between them, that might explain why their accuracy seemed conviniently lacking. (Though it certainly is convenient, I'll give it that much)

Having shot bow and arrows before, (recurve and long bow... Not compound just compound bow) I honestly find the accuracy of the goblins to be more believable than Aragorn and Legolas'... But then they are elf and half-elf so they have a good excuse as well. Lol

And to Most Precious Gollum: I must wholeheartedly agree with you on the outstanding acting when Gandalf closes his eyes in dread of the alproaching balrog. That was a wonderfully acted part! It shows his dread but yet his bravery and understanding of a sense of duty all in that one single look.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

PostPosted: October 21st, 2016, 1:39 pm 
Istari
Istari

Yeah it is a great scene!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 28th, 2016, 8:02 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

For sure. I feel like the little things like that add so much to a movie

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2017, 10:52 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

I've always thought of the aim of the orcs being comparable to storm troopers in star wars..... Except with Boromir. I guess they only hit something when the plot demands it. :p

With the talking, it seems like they should just get a move on, but there has been a bunch of build up to this, and it is SO important to Gandalf's character that it deserves a pause. And it also lead to the ultimate defeat of the balrog and the death and resurrection of Gandalf, which helped defeat Saruman, which actually lead to the saving of middle earth. Considering all this, I think a pause to talk is worth the time. :)