Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: A-U Revival: Main Site [Images etc] Headquarters
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 12:11 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

This may be a bit too late of an input, but I figured what the heck.

Wouldn't the organizing of the Locations gallery be better if it was according to what type of location it is rather than affiliation/geography? What if someone was looking for pictures of... Caradhras or the Argonath but wouldn't know what realm that belonged to? We have to keep those kind of users in mind as well, those who have no idea what the things are called let alone where in Middle-Earth they're located.

So I'm suggesting something along the lines of what ARDA has done:
http://www.glyphweb.com/ARDA/index_plac.html

For instance:
Towns/Cities/Buildings
Fortresses/Towers/Monuments
Roads/Streets/Paths
Fields/Plains/Deserts
Forests
Hills/Mountains/Caves/Mines
Lands/Realms/Regions
Rivers/Lakes/Havens
And what ever else category might be needed.

I know some of you don't want sub-categories within sub-categories, but wouldn't it be great if you could click on say "Forests" and from there on be able to click on a Fangorn gallery, an Old Forest gallery, a Trollshaws gallery and so on.

It's inclusive and accessible. But just an idea. :)

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 12:13 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^That's actually a very good point. If we can keep it from getting too cluttered, I think we should try this.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 12:17 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

It really wouldn't be any more cluttered (or involve much more clicking) than the screen caps galleries.

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 12:27 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

But I thought it was mentioned ages ago about too much clicking and stuff? Hence the reason most people didn't like the idea of Coppermine? Rather than just finding your category and your picture, if you had the sub categories, you'd need to find your category, then the sub-category and then the picture.

And I also have to speak from an organizing point of view. Already looking at the gallery Arwen has set up, in some cases some of the images are walking on a thin line between one category and another. I'm going to be putting the images I have found into categories as well, which in some cases will be very much "hmm... this one or that one?". With so many categories it will actually make this much more difficult because some images could easily fall into more than one. As it is now, if I look for a certain image, I may think it's in one category, then I find it's in another. But ultimately, I know it's going to be in one of two.

Personally I would love a gallery that had things like "Frodo & Sam", "Aragorn & Legolas" and stuff like that, to make it easier to find images with certain people, but I can view in my mind how it would look and I think instead of helping people it would over-complicate things.

But I guess it's really up to want everyone else wants. So we should see what feedback there is. :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 1:00 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I can see why some images may fall into two categories if we go by the categories you put together because there are several stuff which are borderline and could potentially be one or the other. But a forest is a forest, a mountain is a mountain and a tower is a tower.

And Coppermine still requires more clicking than with this pop-up gallery system, because here you'll always be on thumbnail view. With Coppermine you have to click your way back to thumbnail view, which usually takes you to the first page regardless of what page you were on when you clicked the picture.

It's just an idea that I think is more user-friendly, especially for those who have no idea what stuff would be considered Elven, Gondorian etc.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 1:06 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Well, here's an idea. We do the categories Eru suggested, but instead of subcategories we separate the different places by headers. Like, if you click on the Towns category, you get a page with say, Minas Tirith (Gondor) on top, Edoras (Rohan) next etc. That way, people can see what is what without all the clicking.
I dunno. Would that look more messy than having several subcategories?

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 1:16 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I think either way would work to be honest.

As I'm looking through the list from JF's post, if that is what we're using, I'm just wondering where we'd put stuff like the Misty Mountains, Caradhras, Moria, Amon Sûl, Amon Hen, River Anduin, Falls of Rauros, Argonath, Fangorn, Emyn Muil etc etc - things that don't have an obvious realm affiliation. That would be one crowded Misc. section.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 1:26 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Well if we look at what we have now, the Location section is all jumbled up, so technically the Misc section really would not be that full, as currently every single place in ME is all in one place. :P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 4:04 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

That is very true, but if we're going to be re-doing it, why not do it thoroughly, that's all I'm saying. :)

PostPosted: March 24th, 2011, 7:39 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

JF, have you had a look at the fan section? because some of the stuff there really needs sorting through. I looked at some of the animations, and I'm not sure whether it's a problem only I have, but they're not actually moving. and one of them wasn't even an animation at all, so much as a few pictures with some text. So, yeah. We need to sort through that.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 24th, 2011, 8:13 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

As far as I know we are scrapping everything in the fan art section and starting from scratch with drawings and videos only at this stage. A great majority of the stuff is not very good at all, and I think several of us said right in the beginning that we'd get rid of them. It seems harsh, but we want better stuff. We demands it preciousss. :P

EDIT: I have been through the fan art, and I don't see the need to keep anything at all, or even replace those things. If anyone wants to have a look at the banner section, you might see some familiar names and get to see their very early qork. *coughNurrcough*. :P So if you want anything, I'd save it. :yes:

So I have finished checking all the "media" section now, with the exception of the video and sound sections as I don't know anything about what's a good quality clip/sound. A lot of the stuff must surely be outdated now, so I think we need to make a decision whether we get rid of it, try to fix it, or remove it for now and fix it later on.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 1:06 pm 

I was wondering if we have any people who can make screencaps on here, and if they'd be willing to make caps of the appendicies. That would be a nice addition to our gallery. :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 11th, 2011, 5:21 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Okay, so I figured this would be the best place to post this. And I have a pretty big list for you.

I have recently gone through the fanart section and listed what I deemed would be "keepable", going by how good the artwork was. There was alot of doodles in there that was on lined or graph paper. So, here is the list of art that I think is worthy of being kept after having been gathering dust for many years(This list has already been sent to JF.)

Page 1

Gimli by Ainu Laire
Light of Gondor by Ainu Laire
War horse of Rohan by Camilla
Faramir by Camilla
Orlando Blood by Cora (I would crop this one a bit at the top)
Aragorn @ Arwen by Dobby's Master
The Grey Havens by Mithril Undomiel
The Argonath by Mithril Undomiel
Frodo by Mithril Undomiel
Earendil by Mithril Undomiel
Arwen by Mithril Undomiel
Arwen by Valaina
Arwen(2) by Valaina
Eowyn by Valaina
An Elf by Valaina
Rhiannon by Valaina
Yavanna by Valaina
The Fellowship by Ainu Laire
Galadriel by Adilya
Legolas by Adilya(needs cropped)
Arwen by Soni
Boromir and Faramir by Soni
Frodo and Gandalf by Soni
Haldir by Soni

Page 2

Legolas by Ainu Laire
Arwen by Alessandra
Gandalf by Alessandra
Lady of Lothlorien by Erywaedhiel

Page 3

Aragorn and Arwen by Chopek
Mount Doom by Rene
Elijah Wood by Abrynne
Viggo Mortensent by Abrynne
Elijah Wood (2) by Abrynne
Frodo by Abrynne
Strider by Abrynne
Aragorn (2) by Abrynne
Eowyn--Daughter of Kings by Miriel
Galadriel by Eruadan
Fate & Fear by Eruadan
Frodo by Eruadan
Prince and Lady of Ithilien by Eruadan
Liv Tyler by Birdy

Page 4

Haldir by Silver
Faramir by Silver
Dominic Monaghan by Nienna
Legolas by Camilla
Aragorn & Arwen by Nienke(bottom row)
Lord of the Rings by Nienke

Page 5

A Fond Farewell by Elarwen Nimloth
Lif Tyler by SayToNoWraiths
Orlando Bloom by Lady G(last on page)

Page 6

Shattered Heart by Charles
Arwen by Jennifer
Orlando Bloom by Laurelindorenae
Elijah Wood by Cassie
the Balrog by TheSwordOfNankar

ALSO!! To help grow our fanart gallery I have taken the liberty of asking members of deviant art if they would allow us to show their art on our gallery. The replies I'm getting back are astounding! Not only are people saying they're willing to let us show their art(with proper credit given of course), but also are listing all their LotR art of theirs that they would like to have shown. So far, 16 out of 24 artistis have replied back to me, all with possitive feedback. The others have not yet contacted me back. But I'm not yet sure what exactly you want to do with this list of art, since the fanart gallery hasn't been cleaned out yet. Are we changing the way we're going to present them? Because some of the artists have requested for us to have links to their websites along with their art.

And most of them have had possitive words about our website in general.
"Hi, oh yeah I know your site! I came very often some time ago, search pictures for my drawings, and I think I took my picture reference of Legolas on your site!"
"Oh, I know this website, I've visited it before!"
"I am a fan of your site, and have used many pics from it for reference over the years."
"It's always been a favourite site of mine to visit, lovely quality work"

Those are just a few of the praises the AU site has received. I thought you guys would like to read those, since it certaintly gave me an uplifting about AU!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: June 11th, 2011, 6:03 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

That's very encouraging! Good work Raina! :D

Yes, I am a little bit behind with the fanart section - I took a week off the revival as I needed to re-charge my batteries - but when I've finished with the avatars (should be tomorrow) and have uploaded the first wave of banners (finished by Tuesday) I will then start on removing the fanart and putting up anything you give me.

I don't think there is any need to change the way the fanart is displayed (perhaps bigger thumbnails, what do you think?) and as having text underneath the art looks messy I'm not sure how I could link to the artists websites BUT as I will be stamping the name of the artist on each piece, I could also add their address on there. But I guess you'll have to check with them and see if this is satisfactory. :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 11th, 2011, 6:27 pm 

^Nice work Raina.. good to have you back despite your busy-ness with a fulltime job. :-) Can't wait to see the new artwork up!!

Nurrantiel Mashiara wrote:
I was wondering if we have any people who can make screencaps on here, and if they'd be willing to make caps of the appendicies. That would be a nice addition to our gallery. :)

Perhaps you should post about it in the Sign up for jobs thread and the Overview thread as it also serves to .. well give an overview of the tasks we still need to cover. :P

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: June 11th, 2011, 7:38 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

:) It's all cool, JF. And it's good to be back, Ea.

Well... I can do screencaps, though I can't say the quality would be the best. I've been wanting to watch through the appendicies anyway... but I just have one question... are we using an image host for the images? Or how are the images kept?

Edit:
and how exactly would we go about with showing those on the site? Since the appendices are... well.. a web of stuff. If my memory is correct, at least one of the disks are mostly concept art and such. Would we want pictures of those in our gallery as well?

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next