Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: A-U Revival: Forum Headquarters
PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 6:24 pm 

Hi there! Since it seems like the main site seems to be getting a lot of attention and TLC I thought it was time to get things started around the forum. As is the rule in the other revival threads, let's try to keep chatting to a minimum so that we can keep this thread clutter free. If it doesn't have to do with fixing up the forum then I'd suggest posting in another revival thread.

Here's a list of the things around the forum that we'll need to look at in the coming weeks/months.
[x] General tidying up - this includes eventually locking/deleting old threads
[x] Forum organization - organizing forums and subforums, including combining and deleting old ones and adding new ones
[x] Decisions on administration - contacting old mods and assigning new mods; a decision on The Rules

General tidying up can of course occur after the forum has been reorganized and decisions on administration have been made. The following plan for forum organization has been taken from the combined ideas of several members in the original forum revival thread. For the formalisation of the plan for the new forum I thought it would be appropriate to post a polling thread where people can vote ‘yea’ or ‘nay’ and make any final suggestions for the forum layout. Be on the lookout for that in the Your Life subforum.

As for decisions on administration, this is where we stand:

MODERATORS ON DUTY FOR THE NEW A-U
Sidawethiel
Kitoky
Ivreniel

MODERATORS WHOSE CONTACT INFO IS NEEDED
Arsarniel
Bellethiel
..Rumil..
tindomerel
Evenstar
FRODOFAN
Master-of-Tookland
Maetharanel

INACTIVE MODERATORS
[the following moderators were considered inactive by Arwen or their profiles no longer exist; I think it is understood that we will not need to contact these moderators]
Arwëon (no profile)
Belowen
Eleniel
InsanelyGiddy1
medivh
theSwordofNankar
Valaraukar
tulk
Quentiel (no profile)

MODERATORS I HAVE/WILL CONTACT/ED
Elvawen
vikingmaiden

RETIRED MODERATORS
Nienor
Alatariel
Thenidiel
Jo
Miremiel
Elanor
Eruadan
Herenya

Also, how do we feel about The Rules? Should the forum be PG-13? Should a poll be made for this decision as well or has that pretty well already been decided?

Most of this work will be completed by forum/site coders once final decisions for the forum layout and organization have been made. If you would like to help with coding and you have not signed up already please contact Eruraina. Otherwise, if you would like to assist with information or in contacting old moderators please post here or contact me. I will update the moderator lists periodically as we hear back from them.

Last edited by Larael on March 14th, 2011, 6:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2011, 1:38 pm 

Thanks for starting this thread. I admit my heart beats more passionately for the forum than for the general site so I believe this is where I belong. :P

Sign me up for anything. :)

I went through the moderator list recently and it looks like the ones who provided their contact info posted their alias-email and I figured they might not use those anymore but I'm willing to give it a try. My suggestion is that we write up a standard letter and email them and include the list of inactive mods and the mods we need contact info on and ask them if they could pass on the message if they still stay in contact with them... Alright, that was not the most eloquent wording but you get the point, aye? :P

Question: Do we know for sure Alatariel and Nienor have retired? Nienor posted here not so long ago.

For some reason I've always considered the revival to be dealing with the main site first of all and only secondly with the forum. Also because I'm sure the discussions on how to make the 'new' forum will be so much more difficult with many passionate opinions on how to do it. But let's see if we can get some ideas on the table. :teehee:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 12:34 am 

My hearts definitely more in the forum than the main site as well [*le gasp* Blasphemy!], which is why I thought someone should start this thread. But yes, a standard letter sounds like a good idea.

I'll admit I already contacted Nienor, and through her, Alatariel via Facebook, which is how I got such quick responses. Nienor sounded like she has "moved on" from her forum days and admitted that she had told Arwen a year or so ago that she would no longer be modding. As it is, Alatariel has poor internet connection at uni and has moved on as well. :)

The list of moderators I have/will contact are mods I am actively friends with on Facebook, DeviantArt, etc. I know I can readily contact them through those outlets or through their personal websites [like in Herenya's case, as she is still quite active with hers]. Perhaps it would be beneficial to ask Arwen if she has contact with any of the mods whose contact info is needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 6:13 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I know most of you guys are set on doing the main site first, but really isn't the actual forum where we should start first? This is where we all talk and hang out after all. To the majority of forum members, I don't think it will matter how shiny and updated the main site will be if the forum still stays the same. The people leaving because they don't see anything happening are not leaving because of the main site, they're leaving because of the forum.

I've created new layouts for forums (from scratch) plenty of times and it doesn't really take that long to create buttons and icons and change the coding and whatnot. If you commit to it, it really only takes a couple of days if that.

Since the (visual look of the) forum will take less time than the main site, why not start with that? When we have our updated forum we will have all the time in the world to make the best main site we possibly can.

I'd be more than happy to do the forum coding. I could even begin doing it now if I had the access to the control panel. If you JF/Gimli are doing the header for the main site, you might be able to make a matching one for the forum (the same dimensions as the current forum banner if we're going to stick to this particular template) and we could just use the colors from it (the particular shade of green you got going on there) so that it matches.

This is in no way me stepping up and trying to take control. I'm just offering to do something that you might not have time for at the present. It can only be a win-win really. And this is not, and I repeat not, about changing the forum sections and deciding what threads go where - this is simply about the visual layout. Like I said, if I had the access needed for this particular job, I could have it changed in a matter of days.

Just saying. :)

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 9:08 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I don't even think it would be a good idea to change the layouts gradually. How Arweb's always done it is she worked on the new skins on the side and then installed them (both main page and forum) all at once when she was done with everything. Not sure why that should change.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 11:01 am 
Balrog
Balrog

^I have to say I agree with Haldy.
I see your point Eru, in that maybe people wouldn't be so quick to leave if they saw actual changes in the forum, but I think it's just as practical to do it all at once. Also, if the forum layout changes but nothing else is done, chances are it'll have the same effect as nothing happening has had - people get impatient and leave because they feel nothing's happening.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 12:23 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I see your points, but at least it will look like something is happening. Because right now, if you're not involved in all the revival threads, from an outsider point of view, it looks like we're on a standstill because nothing physical has happened yet.

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 12:43 pm 

It seems to me they'd get changed at the same time, just because you'd have the top banner on the forum match the header. So you'd need to have the header done. The colors would match on both as well. It doesn't seem like it'd be ready to change, except for both at once.

After all, we can put up the new site layout without having all the clean up coding done. A new header and colors are enough to show progress, which would correspond with the new forum colors and header. I'd think as soon as a header is done, we go for both. (Which, judging from the header discussion, may be within the next week?)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 12:43 pm 

^ I kind of agree with Eru on this.

I know that if you're involved in the revival that you see all the progress that's being made, but it's not visible on the forum itself.
A change in layout will be like an enormeous step ahead in itself. :)

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 1:13 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I can see what Eru is saying as well. :yes:

Actually, I think it would be a good idea to have the forum changed before the main site - once we do decide that the colours chosen for the main site layout obviously.

I don't think we need to keep the forum waiting for it's new skin, and personally, just because the header may or may not be ready within a week, the layout itself for the main site may take longer, so the forum will be kept waiting.

Also, I don't know about everyone else, but I wouldn't want a nice shiny layout for the main site when the rest is still being updated/checked etc. I would like visitors to see the new layout combined with the new stuff and think WOW, this looks good.

So I am definitely up for the forum having it's layout before the main site, and once I have the header OK'd and the layout guys get some colours together, I don't see any reason why the forum won't be good to go.

As to Eru making the changes, as she has experience etc and wants to do it, I think it makes sense that she be the one to implement the changes. But I suppose it depends on what Arwen says regarding someone having the password for the forum?

But anyway, I can see the benefits for this and it will be so nice not to have blue anymore. :D

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 2:09 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I'm glad some are agreeing with me on this. I can already now set up a temporary free phpBB forum somewhere where I can start play around with coding and see how it turns out. Regardless whether we'll go through with a layout change right now or not.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 2:39 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

^ Loving the new banner. I still don't know how you get your stuff so glowy. :teehee:

And thanks for bringing this up anyway. You're probably right that we had been thinking about the main site and how that would look mainly, because I think we knew it would take a while and we wanted to get stuck in asap. But the forum skin being different I think, will make a big difference not just to attitudes regarding the revival but just mentally looking at something new. :P

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 2:56 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Aww thanks JF/Gimli! It's an old banner actually that I made 3-4 years ago and had for a while here on A-U but I felt like recycling, so there you go. :) And the glowing? I just make them.. em.. glowy? :teehee:

And no problem. I just felt like this is one of those things that can be solved relatively swiftly and pain free!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 3:02 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

While you're working on the forum skin and whatnot though, you'd wanna be working on the main site's skin as well at the same time just because you'd wanna coordinate the colours and also make sure that the main colours work with both the main layout and the forum. That's my opinion on it anyway. Once we have the header done, it really shouldn't be too difficult to install both the main site's and the forum's new layout. It's all the changes on the main site/cleanup that's going to take a much longer amount of time.

If we install the new layout before we're done with the cleanup on the main site, at least EVERY visitor will be able to see that changes are happening and that this site is no longer dead. Remember, the forum people aren't the only people who are a part of this community... there are others who visit the site as well . Just because we can't see them it doesn't mean they're not there. I don't see why we should be seeing changes before everyone else.

And as we continue to tidy up the site, we'll post updates as we go with everything that's changing. There IS going to be constant progress to witness.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 4:12 pm 

Haldir wrote:
If we install the new layout before we're done with the cleanup on the main site, at least EVERY visitor will be able to see that changes are happening and that this site is no longer dead. Remember, the forum people aren't the only people who are a part of this community...

:yes: I absolutely agree. Again, I see no reason why the forum should have to wait to get a new look. But if we want it to match the main site's layout, we'll need both done at the same time. I see no problem with showing progress on both by dressing them up all nice and spiffy. :D Just as the forum won't be getting rearranged with new colors, the site still won't be fully new with a new layout. But it will be a real, tangible sign of progress.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 7:34 pm 

I'm not really savvy with all these skins, layouts, coding, etc. but I don't see why we shouldn't give the forum and site a new look. I think it would certainly boost morale.

[And Eru, I'm glad you brought it up. I've been so focused on admin related issues that I completely forgot about that. Thanks for stepping up! :)]

By the way, have we decided on a colour scheme yet? It seems like that poll JF started has probably been up long enough. If people haven't voted by this time then they must be living under a rock or something. ;) [So, let's get this layout business going!]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next