Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beorn
PostPosted: April 16th, 2015, 4:43 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Ok, just wondering.... I don't remember Beorn fighting in the Battle of five armies in the movie... but he does in the book and also goes with Gandalf and Bilbo on their way home.... I wish PJ would have put that in the movie!

Also, since Beorn is a cheiftan of his people are ALL his people shapeshifters? And what about his son who eventually takes over his duties? Was he a shapeshifter?

Just wondering. I find his character quite intriguing.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject: Re: Beorn
PostPosted: April 17th, 2015, 9:15 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Hello Jax, this is what The Hobbit notes anyway...

"Beorn indeed became a great chief afterwards in those regions and ruled a wide land between the mountains and the wood; and it is said that for many generations the men of his line had the power of taking bear's shape, and some were grim men and bad, but most were in heart like Beorn, if less in size and strength. In their day the last goblins were hunted from the Misty Mountains and a new peace came over the edge of the Wild."

If there is more to go on with respect to your questions, I can't recall right now.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2015, 9:09 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Thanks! :) So the chieftan thing was only after the hobbit. That makes a bit more sense in my mind.

I take it, then, that Beorn married a normal human women and thus the shapeshifting ability was lost through the generations. That's too bad.

Does tolkien ever mention that there were other shapeshifters? (Skin changers is what they call them I think if I remember)

PostPosted: November 6th, 2015, 10:04 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I think I heard Beorn got more screen time in BOTFA but you will only see on the Extended Edition.

However, I am not 100% on this.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2015, 1:42 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

That is what I have heard as well. I hope he does in the extended but I will just have to wait and see. I loved his roll in the book so much! I just wish he could have played a larger roll in the movies.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 5:45 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Elthir wrote:
Hello Jax, this is what The Hobbit notes anyway...

"Beorn indeed became a great chief afterwards in those regions and ruled a wide land between the mountains and the wood; and it is said that for many generations the men of his line had the power of taking bear's shape, and some were grim men and bad, but most were in heart like Beorn, if less in size and strength. In their day the last goblins were hunted from the Misty Mountains and a new peace came over the edge of the Wild."

If there is more to go on with respect to your questions, I can't recall right now.

That's all I remember of the tale of Beorn.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 9:43 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

It would have been neat to see more of his character. I discovered missing manuscript like the tails of Beorn would be worth Its weight in gold if it was by Tolkien himself! Don't think it would ever be the same coming from anyone else, though.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2018, 1:19 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

In The Hobbit, my feeling is that JRRT used Beorn for his somewhat conventional fairy-tales aspects, the skin-changing, as TH was closer to the conventional fairy-tales than anything else he wrote. Closer, but even in TH, there were some aspects that were unusual for the convention of its time. The bit about Beorn’s “treatment” of the goblin and the warg he had caught wandering: “A goblin’s head was stuck outside the gate and a warg-skin was nailed to a tree just beyond.” For a certain quarter of supposed educators very busily PC-scrubbing old fairy-tales recently, this would have elicited shrieks of horror, and would have consigned TH to the index of forbidden books. And make no mistake about it, anything which ended up in the collections of the brothers Grimm etc. had already bee sanitized for at least 19th-century tastes.

But lurking in the background with Beorn are not a few warriors in sagas and whatnot, totally unsavory by today’s standards and only usable in FSK-18 rated films in Germany (FSK-18 is the max, and is only used for the most violently gory of movies; a kind of X rating for violence). Even Beowulf is quite a savory character by comparison. If I just compare Verlyn Flieger’s 2015 “Kullervo” with how JRRT transformed that into the story of Turin, none of the saga berserkers (meaning “bear-shirt”, I believe, and what Beorn effectively was) would have made it into JRRT’s legendarium without some heavy reworking. Only in PJ’s films does something of the berserker madness turn up, transferred to the baddie side in the suicidal berserker Uruks, like the one that lighted the “gunpowder” which breached the wall at Helm’s Deep.

So Beorn in his aboriginal berserker aspect was a no-go for JRRT, probably. But for the between-Hobbit-and-LoTR TV series planned by Amazon, while Beorn is dead, being mortal, by the time of LoTR, there should be several decades of overlap in the lives of Beorn and Aragorn to be able to work Beorn into this TV series. But then again, that’s a different thread here on A-U … ;-)

PostPosted: June 26th, 2018, 8:24 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Hm... that would be very interesting to see!!

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2021, 10:12 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Jax Nova wrote:
Ok, just wondering.... I don't remember Beorn fighting in the Battle of five armies in the movie... but he does in the book and also goes with Gandalf and Bilbo on their way home.... I wish PJ would have put that in the movie!

Also, since Beorn is a cheiftan of his people are ALL his people shapeshifters? And what about his son who eventually takes over his duties? Was he a shapeshifter?

Just wondering. I find his character quite intriguing.

If I remember correctly there is a split second you see him fight in the battle of the five armies.