Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently June 15th, 2024, 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Theoden.
PostPosted: June 26th, 2005, 3:45 pm 

Do you think King Theoden deserved 2 die? Why? or Why not?

I think the he did not deserved 2 die. Because he was a good king. First he defended Helm's Deep (with a little help of Aragorn) even though there was only a fool's hope left. Then he gathered all the men he could find and took them to the war of Minas Tirith and he did not stop his plan even though Aragorn and comp. left. Then he foght long and hard with his men and encouraged them to win the battle. He was a good King!

That is my opninion, now let's c ur's my Elf friends! :bounce: :-D

Post subject: Re: Theoden.
PostPosted: June 27th, 2005, 10:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Elf Lady Alane wrote:
Do you think King Theoden deserved 2 die? Why? or Why not?

I think the he did not deserved 2 die. Because he was a good king. First he defended Helm's Deep (with a little help of Aragorn) even though there was only a fool's hope left. Then he gathered all the men he could find and took them to the war of Minas Tirith and he did not stop his plan even though Aragorn and comp. left. Then he foght long and hard with his men and encouraged them to win the battle. He was a good King!

That is my opninion, now let's c ur's my Elf friends! :bounce: :-D

Of course I don't think he deserved to die - no - but still, I didn't really like how he said, "The last time I looked, Theoden, not Aragorn, was King of Rohan." It seems slightly arrogant of him when Aragorn was just trying to help.

But he did defend his people bravely, and he tried to do the best for the safety of his people, whether or not the deed seemed foolish. :bye2:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 28th, 2005, 4:03 pm 
Istari
Istari

Heh Elberethsq, that was exactly what I wanted to say. I only add that in a good story like LotR some people die. If nobody would die it seemed not real, just.. a bit implausible or something.
But it's still so sad.. :'(

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2005, 9:25 pm 

I din't want him to die, but I think it had to happen. If he had lived he night have never known Eowyn had snuck off to war with them. And his son died so now he is with his son. I think his death was for the better. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 30th, 2005, 5:01 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think the whole part about Theoden dying was another one of Tolkien's ways of showing the absolute change that is brought about by the death of Sauron. He has used things like the Elves leaving, Aragorn becoming king etc... but also the old heroes of the Third Age had to die, Theoden had to pass the cup to the next king- Eomer- to show the transition from the old world to the new.

Also I think maybe Tolkien wanted to give Theoden the warriors death the the Rohirrim considered very honourable. I think that, although it was sad, it was also the best way to go. Great warriors shouldn't have to die as old, old men in their beds- it's not the way they want to go.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 30th, 2005, 4:54 pm 

I think ur right my Elf friend...

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2005, 12:50 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

definitely not

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2005, 4:58 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Care to back up that argument, fbc?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2005, 1:13 pm 

No. Theoden was so nice, such a good warrior and king. I don't think he deserved to die. Maybe Tolkien decided Theoden to die because he had to show the evil of the Witch-King and maybe to give Eowyn a reason to destroy him...

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2005, 3:44 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Lady Undomiel wrote:
No. Theoden was so nice, such a good warrior and king. I don't think he deserved to die. Maybe Tolkien decided Theoden to die because he had to show the evil of the Witch-King and maybe to give Eowyn a reason to destroy him...

Yes exactly- to show that the Witch-king had no respect for an old man (which Theoden essentially WAS), on the battle field he simply slaughtered him!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 5th, 2005, 9:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Tirelen Hentaurë wrote:
I think the whole part about Theoden dying was another one of Tolkien's ways of showing the absolute change that is brought about by the death of Sauron.

Another thing Tolkien was trying to show was how Our lives can turn up-side-down in a moment. But some its all part of God's plan in our lives to make us stronger, or make way for something better to come along.

Example. Eowyn's life wasnt the best but she was ok. The Theoden Got sick, then Theodred's death. Then thins Hot guy comes along who she likes but he doesnt feal the same about her. The the HUGE battle of helms deep. Then Pelannore Fields. Then her Uncle dies. But then she finally gets Faramir. He loves her, He is kind, caring and pretty darn hott!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 9th, 2005, 3:01 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

He was unfortunate enough with his family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2005, 12:42 pm 

If we all sat down and thought upon the deaths of others and ask ourselves if they deserved to die, we wouldn't have lives. Naturally, no one deserves to die. But then, naturally, who deserves to live? People are born, people are put to eternal sleep. That is how the cycle goes. Stretch thy arms too wide to embrace immortality, you might find yourself burned by the Valar's good graces.

But anyways - for Theoden. It was a matter of if he deserved to die or not. He did die, and that's that. He's made a few mistakes, he tried his best to defend his people, although he may not have been the best fighter, it seemed he was a more of a politician type, he still lead his people and therefore DOES deserve a seat in the hall of his fore fathers.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2005, 10:53 pm 

fbc wrote:
He was unfortunate enough with his family.

Anything else you wish to say on that subject.......... :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 12th, 2005, 1:56 pm 
Ent
Ent

No,Theoden did not deserve to die.But none of us can help the fact that he did.The horse fell on him,which eventually killed him.There was really no way he could have survived that. No,he did not deserve to die.But yes,it was his time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 13th, 2005, 3:36 pm 
Maia
Maia

I think he wanted to die on the battlefied