Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently June 16th, 2024, 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you consider it death for Frodo when he leaves to the 'undying lands'?
Poll ended at May 10th, 2006, 4:32 am
yes 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
no 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 1st, 2006, 10:43 pm 
Elf
Elf

Yeah, part of it is the realizing that Sam is sad too.

~*PM Me for graphics*~

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2006, 11:17 am 
Balrog
Balrog

The fact that Frodo and Sam were parted from each other was the saddest thing about it for me. I was very relieved that Sam also went over the sea afterwards..

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2006, 1:00 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Personally, I cry every time I read/see it, but at the same time I realize that Frodo could never have been happy in the Shire and that passage in the book is just so beautiful. It's very cathartic.

My blog
My graphics journal

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2006, 2:31 pm 
Retired Welcomator
Retired Welcomator

Chaleins of Norbury wrote:
Elijah's smile back at them is perfect, too. As if to say "Don't worry about me."

Oh yes, I don't think I've ever seen a smile quite like that. It makes me cry all the more. :P

It really is a sad scene, but then, a perfect ending, too. I have a hunch that things just wouldn't be saticfying if Frodo had stayed in ME, and all of the hobbits were together until the end of their days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2006, 1:43 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Oh yes Elijah's smile makes me cry even more as well, I actually close my eyes quite often when that passage come (but that's because of the music.. :)) yes I think it wouldn't have been ok if Frodo had stayed in the shire as well.. it would have felt a bit too perfect for me if nobody of them had had to leave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2006, 2:13 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

What always gets me with Elijah's smile is that it's the old happy Frodo again and that's very nice. :D

My blog
My graphics journal

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: "I am wounded."
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2006, 9:00 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Do you remember Frodo's own words? "I am wounded. Wounded. It will never really heal." I think that is why he left for the Havens, that led to the Undying Land of the Elves. True, the Ring was gone but the recollection of its power still oppressed him, and beyond Middle Earth he would find peace at last.

The horrors we experience in this life, because of our close contact with evil, wound us deeply and as mortals we never recover even if we survive and choose to learn, grow and become better people because of them. Frodo is right, we never really heal here. Only in the Undying Land of the Elves will all be made right and will we find peace.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2006, 6:05 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

When i watched ROTK the first time, (i was only eleven then and very dimwitted) i didnt understand why they left to valinor and i hated the ending, i thought it felt like sometihing was left out from the end, i thouhgt it 100% to be dying. now im somewhere between dying and undying. you cant come back, you 'LEAVE MIDDLE-EARTH' and they all wept in the scene. now i understand it was best for Frodo to go, he had so many permanent injuries. but it's so SAD!

I revisited AU on Jan 14th after an almost 10-year break! The nostalgia..!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2006, 1:44 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I agree with ya Sinbearer and so I don't think that Frodo dies when he sails to the Undying lands, but gets healed from his wounds and can live in peace again

Post subject: What is so beautiful...
PostPosted: June 4th, 2006, 6:39 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

What is so beautiful about this story is that we tie up our desires and yearnings in life with it…

I hear it in your posts.
Whatever happens in the end of the story, we know that things can’t come out too perfect because our lives don’t. But we so want truth to tell us that in the long run it will. We are so sad because we know it is so true and our hearts thrill for the same reason.

There is good reason why these books are so magnetic. I believe it is because, through the unique power of a fantasy tale, we are moved by the very deepest truths of life…things that fill us with yearning and will send us on an inner journey that will tell us about our true selves and the transcendent meaning of life.

What is life really about? How do we most desire for our life to turn out? Is this story really resonating with truth? Is it leading us straight? If it is, we will love it forever!

That is why I have reveled in these books so much…I have entered into the experience of the great truths of life rather than merely exploring their tenets. In doing so, I have discovered a new, more vibrant understanding of life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2006, 2:10 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

yay! that was AWESOMELY true!!! ...are you a psycologist (dont know how it's spelled...) or what? if youre not, you should think of it as a career ;)

I revisited AU on Jan 14th after an almost 10-year break! The nostalgia..!

Post subject: When I hurt...
PostPosted: June 5th, 2006, 3:08 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

No, I am not a psychologist. LOL!

But like a lot of us, I have lived long enough to be hurt badly so that I feel in my own soul what the characters in LotR are feeling and going through. When that happens the story becomes more than a story in ME…it becomes MY story.

I know that happens to you too. Why do we feel that aching in our heart, that tingle down our spine…or burst into laughter—or tears-- as we interact with the characters in these great books and movies?

I think it is often because we KNOW their joy and pain. And in participating intimately with theirs, we validate ours and perhaps find better meaning and purpose in it.

It is so fascinating to me how I learn life’s deepest answers and important and enduring lessons through pain. What is so special about heartache, anguish and grief? When things are going well I don’t seem to concern myself with the great questions of life, but when I hurt…

And this epic fantasy tale in ME seems to bring it all back in such a powerful way…

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: June 5th, 2006, 3:22 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Eärlinde Elensar, Your comment made me feel good. Thanks for being so complementary! I love AU! There is sooooo much insight and wisdom in here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2006, 3:53 pm 
Elf
Elf

I love this scene, because it's oh sooo sad. This scene was my inspiration to my layout for my website...which I really need to start working on again. Sorry fans*

Capt. Jack: Shoot him and cut out his tongue! Then shoot his tongue!..and trim that scraggly beard.

yAAAy! The <a href="http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2007/tc20071218_443372.htm">Hobbit movie</a> is back on!!! Movie buffs get excited!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2006, 4:04 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Sinbearer, that was a great post. Absolutely right. That's what I love about LotR, you can feel the deepness of the truths expressed in it. :D Very well put.

My blog
My graphics journal

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2006, 8:53 pm 

I guess only us girls cry, eh Ellie? :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next