Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Such a Sad Story!
PostPosted: April 29th, 2013, 1:41 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Well today for some reason it got on my mind about what exactly happened at the end of Aragorn's life. So I decided to go read all about it in the appendices. By the time I was finished I was ready to shed some tears & that is coming from a guy who in his 40+ years on this earth has never cried over a romance in a book or movie as I have always been to "cool" for that crying stuff :blush: lol

But I gotta say when I read about how she stood there with him at the bed & not wanting to give him up & all the things that he tells her, it was enough sadness for a thousand romance stories....But then what really got me teary eyed was the thought of Arwen telling her children good bye & walking away to what it said was a "silent" Lorien until she went to Cerin Amroth where they had first met & made her grave there. I could just picture sweet beautiful Arwen walking alone in what sounded like such a sad place now AND I had this sad music going through my head & it was just so very sad. :'-(

This book just never stops giving great stuff to read & think on & I am so happy I came acrodd the LOTR in life.

If I had one question though it would be why did Aragorn tell Arwen to repent so that she could still got the the Undying Lands? Reason I ask is that I would think since Aragorn spent so much of his life around Rivendell & then was maried to Arwen, that he would know that once she had chosen mortality her fate was sealed........Maybe I am missing something???

I hope the post wasnt too long but this really did move me today. Thanks for reading & have a great day!

Post subject: Re: Such a Sad Story!
PostPosted: April 29th, 2013, 2:20 am 
Ent
Ent

Oh, I am completely with you. The Aragorn and Arwen love story has to be one of the most precious tales I've ever read.

It has been a while since I last read the appendices of the tale of Aragorn and Arwen, so I don't really remember when Aragorn said that to her. But if he did, I would consider it as him trying to give her another chance to continue living and be reunited with her people and family, since those were the things most dear to her that she had to forsake to stay by his side.

I find it beautifully poetic how she decided to lay herself down to rest not long after Aragorn's death, when she could have continued living a while longer with her children. It truly shows how she loved him with all her heart. Ah thinking about this has gotten me all sentimental now...

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 18th, 2014, 9:48 am 
Elf
Elf

^^ You're not alone.. I read the Arwen and Aragorn part about a week ago, but reading the messages here got me crying again.. That tale is the saddest one I've ever read. It should be on RotK not just in the appendices..

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 11:04 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

It is such a sad story :( About what Aragorn said to her I think it may have to do with what brought the Elves to Middle Earth in the first place. There was a big revolt after Morgoth and Ungoliant attacked the Valar and stole the light from the trees. The Elves that left were told that they would not be able to come back (Among those were Galadriel). But after the battle when Morgoth was finally destroyed many elves were forgiven. (Galadriel, however, refused to return still wanting power.) I believe that when Arwen chose a mortal life she inflicted that banishment on herself. I think Aragorn was hoping that if she repented (like Galadriel did when she gave up the Ring) she would be allowed back. I may be wrong however.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 1:48 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

It was sad. ;( It made me so touched though. She knew that was coming all along, but still she loved Aragorn enough to endure it. That's what I love most about the story. It just didn't matter because their love meant more. She gave up so much for a short time with someone because she loved him THAT much. It's inspiring. I want that with someone someday too. :)

PostPosted: October 25th, 2016, 10:51 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

:) I love the tale of Aragorn and Arwen! When I first read it, I was sobbing!!!! O my word it was so sad and so sweet and amazing and I love it so much, even though it is the saddest thing I have ever read.

You know, I think that's the most I've ever tried during a fictional story. (There's plenty of nonfiction where I cry waaaay more than that.) I feel like Tolkien was REALLY good at that bittersweet writing, what with the endings and all. Certainly better than any modern writer I've ever read. It's the kind of sad where it just breaks your heart in two! I CANT HANDLE THIS GUYS. BEING A TEENAGER IS SO EXHAUSTING EMOTIONALLY!!

Sorry for the excessive emotion just now, but there's my feelings about this ending in a nutshell :)

PostPosted: October 28th, 2016, 7:34 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

:( Wow.... what a depressing post to come across! haha but in a good way. Tolkien did seem to be very good at those moments and it is a terribly sad story... but at the same time it is a sweet story because she chose that for her love.

I have always wondered what it must have been like for her. How would that feel, knowing you could just keep on going alone yet never go to the undying lands and you could go on lifetimes after your entire family? O_o

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: February 24th, 2023, 7:37 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Hello! It was very interesting to read. To be continued?

PostPosted: March 28th, 2023, 12:24 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Hi want to discuss the character of Gimili
Gimli, son of Glóin, is a Dwarf from the line of Durin of the Dwarves of Erebor. His father, Glóin, was one of the 12 dwarves who set out with Thorin Oakenshield in his quest to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from the dragon Smaug, as told in the hobbit. Gimli was born in the year 2879, about 60 years before the death of Thorin in The Hobbit. He was still a rather young man (by Dwarf-standards) during the events of The Hobbit, and thus not present in that book.

Gimli rose to prominence, both among his people and in the wider world, during the events of the War of the Ring. He was one of the Nine Walkers who set out from Rivendell with Frodo on his quest to destroy the One Ring. He came to the Council of Elrond, along with his father, with the news that Sauron's servants had been visiting the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain, asking questions about Bilbo and the Ring.

Gimli is 139 during the events of The Lord of the Rings. https://techemirate.com/rdp-port/ have an average lifespan of 250 years; thus, being young and strong, he was selected by Elrond to represent the Dwarves as part of Frodo's company. He later became known as Elf-friend, the only Dwarf to be given such a name, due to his great friendship with Legolas and his respect, reverence, and deep affection for Lady Galadriel.