Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: THE FALL OF THE REMNANT (An RPG starting in spring, 1432 TA)
PostPosted: April 1st, 2006, 10:43 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Location: the epitome of forsaken nothingness that is the midwest

(OOC: Greetings, and welcome to the Fall of the Remnant. If you wish to join or find out more info on the subject matter or the RPG itself, please go here. thanks.

The plot is basically this:
The year is 1432 TA (Third Age), and the realms of the Dúnedain are under threat of falling apart. In the north, the three kingdoms of Arnor (Arthedain, Rhudaur, and Cardolan) are being invaded by the dread country known as Angmar. In the south, King Valacar of Gondor is about to die, and disunity arises as the people refuse to accept his half-blooded son Eldacar as his rightful heir.

Again, for more information visit the link above. /OOC)

It was dusk, and the forest was completely silent. Completely silent, that is, but for the chirping of the evening birds and a number of slow chewing noises coming from the mouth of a certain stag who was perhaps enjoying its meal a bit excessively.
Its foe (of whom it was blissfully unaware) was not two score yards away, with steady fingers pulling a loaded bowstring back to his cheek. The hunter was a relatively tall man with dark brown hair flowing down around his ears to his shoulders, where it seemed as if it couldn’t decide whether or not to go further down or spend the day there. His garb was mostly of dark brown, barring a suit of worn chainmail that he covered up expertly with a tattered cloak of dark green. His deep blue eyes were intent upon his prey as he shifted weight to his back foot to make ready for his shot, forgetting about the branch lying behind him.
Sure enough, his boot came down upon a twig of frail build that snapped upon impact.
The stag was suddenly aware of its enemy and, forsaking its dinner as even the least logical deer would do if made aware of such a dangerous situation, darted away.
But lo! The stag had not taken three bounds before the twang of a bowstring was heard, and the animal collapsed to the ground in a very ungraceful fashion with an arrow sticking through its skull, right below its ear.
The hunter took a further step back in shock (this time not forgetting but rather ignoring the branches behind him). He had not fired the arrow, but who had?
He stepped forward warily into the clearing, his left hand holding his bow and his right fingering the sword at his, concealed beneath his cloak. His eyes met those of the other hunter who walked casually out of the other end of the glade.
“Alaria! I thought I had told you to watch the horses! Now you have put yourself in danger, and the horses, too!” His words came out in a rush as he scolded his sister.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2006, 10:23 am 
Vala
Vala

Hadhorion led Tarannon at a steady jog down the road, the soft sound of his feet hitting the ground drowned out by the louder clattering of the horse's hooves. In a short while, he would mount and go at a trot, then a canter, and then lead him again. They would cover ground much faster that way, and he had no desire to be out on the open longer than necessary. Fell Orcs and Hillmen from Angmar were doing what they could to make the roads unsafe, though this far south, he need not fear them so much as normal bandits. He held his black longbow in his free hand, but judging the distance between him and the trees, there would not be enough time to draw and fire, so it was his sword he would have to rely on. It had been given to him when he joined the ranks of the Rangers, a beautiful sword with a gold hilt, a black-leather grip, and a ruby set in the pommel. All down the scabbard, which was made of a strong, lightweight, black metal called galvorn, were set other fiery stones. A remarkable weapon, really. As with all the weapons, it was set with incantations for the bane of Angmar, and any Orc would fear to touch it, if he was slain. If the incantation worked, the Orc would die some way or another if he did take it. Such was the way of things - he was always very careful when handling the weapons of the enemy, also, since they laid spells on their weapons, too.
Tarannon snorted, and Hadhorion turned to make sure the horse was doing all right. Satisfied, he mounted, and started off at a trot. Soon, they would be at a tavern he had seen in the distance from a hilltop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2006, 10:41 am 

Alaria strode swiftly towards the fallen stag, bent down and gently pulled out the arrow from its skull. A slight smirk played upon her lips while her eyes sparkled with colours of the ocean. The hood of her green cloak hung upon her shoulders, and so the wind in the thickets of the forest, or lack thereof, danced through her long, dark brown hair, almost making it seem as though it had a life of its own. She rose back up and looked upon the angry figure, that of her brother.
“Arandil,” she replied, almost too calm. “What of the trees? I could have mistaken the stature of this mighty stag with those of the sleeping branches hanging about in this great wood.” Her voice turned to have an almost mocking sound to it. “And such I would have without any rightful sense killed an innocent tree, for they can not be eaten, nor drunk. Used for firewood, perhaps, but that would be all.” The smirk turned into a smile and she stepped closer to Arandil. “I am fine, brother. Húrin and Rána are, too, and the wood has suffered no pain, perhaps with the exception of the loss that of this deer.”
She shoved the bloody arrow into the hands of her brother, then turned swiftly with the goal in mind of readying the stag for departure. Darkness now crept through the forest faster by every minute, for the light did not linger long once the sun had set.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2006, 1:25 pm 
Istari
Istari

Rinhilion strode down the path and through an archway toward the white tree and nodded to another guard standing next to the tree. He walked past it, looking at the tree with great admiration. Through all the tough times he faced hardship he could always look to this tree and smile. It's flowers were truely magnificant.
He walked toward the hall and opened the door into the main chamber where he found his captain waiting for him. Rinhilion took his helmet off and raised a brow.
"My lord? Is something wrong?"
Captain Veath nodded and began to whisper to the young guard.
"The king is ill to say the least. It looks like he could go at any time."
Rinhilion looked at him in surprise.
"This is indeed sad news my lord."
Veath nodded.
"And because of his weakened condition I want you to guard his personal chambers."
Rinhilion nodded and walked toward the king's chambers with his helmet under his arm.

(Hope this is ok, tell me to change anything if needed)

[!*#_:]

Last edited by Malrid on April 2nd, 2006, 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2006, 2:52 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

As a rider pulled the mount that she rode on to a stop, her eyes, hidden by the grey cloak she wore, looked around for a sign. A hand moved to pull off the hood, and once it was off, Elenanna Lothenedhel turned her head in the direction she had came from. Two steeds, bearing the guards that her brother-in-law had ordered to accompany her on her journey, were trotting toward her. Vanya, the mare that Elenanna rode, snorted softly and stamped at the ground. A chuckle escaped Elenanna and she reached to pat her mare. "Tired, Vanya?" she asked in her native language. patting her mare's neck. The mare snorted in reply, and Elenanna couldn't resist a smile.

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2006, 3:37 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

(OOC: Malrid, that's fine except that you've got the wrong location. the capitol of Gondor is currently in Osgiliath, not Minas Tirith (which is currently called Minas Anor). However, the white tree is also in Osgiliath instead of Minas Tirith/Anor, so it will work out fine. And remember right now that Gondor is at the height of its power. Also consider that currently Arandil and Alaria are in Dunland (though on their way to Osgiliath), so you may be alone for a little bit. Good roleplaying, though. /OOC)

Arandil let out a sigh of frustration, but he controlled himself and replied to his sister, "I yield, but do not vex me like this again. There shall likely be a time in the future, near or far, when your witty tongue shall not be enough to save you from your foolishness." He took the bloody arrow and continued, "Also, remember that we are within a week and a half's riding distance to Osgiliath, and there the women do not participate in such wild deeds, so it will not be becoming of you to do so there..."
His hair-encased ear picked up the sound of hooves and his body tensed as he glanced warily at the road, whispering, “…that is, if we live that long. Stay here; I shall go back and guard the horses.” With those words he crept off towards the road.
The hoof beats neared, and he realized that it was not one rider but rather three. The first was a lovely elven maiden, looking back at the others, two ohtars clad in mail with their weapons ready at their sides.
Now thoroughly relaxed at the sight, the dúnadan stepped out to greet them with a smile, “Greetings, fair eldar! What brings you here, to the wilderlands between Arnor and Gondor?”

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2006, 10:26 am 
Vala
Vala

Hadhorion had paid for his stay and left the inn at first light. Covering ground quickly, he was already over a seven leagues away when he stopped to enjoy a lunch, pulling a packet wrapped in soft hides out of his saddlebags, and unwrapping it. A few pieces of boiled venison, with some herbs on top, awaited him. He pulled out another packet, this one containing bread, and proceeded to eat the two together. A few sips from his waterskin completed the meal, and he was on his way again in less than a quarter of an hour. A day or two more, and he would reach the Citadel of the Stars. He was already beginning to adjust to the warmer temperatures, and sleeping without fear of marauding orcs. The first few nights he had slept restlessly, used to being wrapped up in a heavy blanket to avoid waking up due to the cold, but now he slept fine, enjoying the warmth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2006, 1:47 pm 
Istari
Istari

Rinhilion walked down the hallway, his helmet under one arm and his other hand rested upon his sheathed sword hilt. He slowly approached the doorway, his cloak coming slowly down to hug his calves. He nodded to the other guard who was older then himself but a few inches smaller.
"Veath sent me to take over. You've got the rest of the day off."
The older guard, by the name of Garza nodded.
"About time, I've been stood here watching that wall for over eight hours now, since last night."
"Best get some rest then."
Rinhilion smiled and Garza nodded.
"Yeah I best do, wish the old man wouldn't kick the bucket, his son aint gonna be popular."
Rinhilion looked at him with a raised brow.
"Excuse me?"
Garza turned look at him.
"Well his son aint too popular with some people. He's only half Gondorian."
"But he is the king's heir and that is all that matters. The country would go into Chaos without a king to rule."
Garza shrugged.
"Don't matter, just a different boss to me."
Rinhilion frowned.
"I see. Well you should be on your way."
Garza nodded.
"Well stay out of trouble."
Rinhilion nodded and stood with his back to the wall and put his helmet on.

[!*#_:]

Last edited by Malrid on April 4th, 2006, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2006, 2:17 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

A young elf tossed back her sheet of light brown hair. Her elegant bay horse, Falasephales swished his ebony tail and changed his smooth pace into a light trot, covering more ground with each easy stride. A bouncy boarder collie bounded along beside then, his fluffy tail wagging freely. Alynia scanned the paths ahead. Nothing seemed to be there but leaves and a few fallen branches from the winter months. Falasephales tossed his great head and whinnied to the deserted sky. Alynia smiled and patted the stallion.

After a few minuets Alynia slowed her faithful stallion to a walk. The rays of the dieing sun glowed off his gleaming brown coat. Forna, the collie, trotted happily along side her as she dismounted and led Falasephales along the paths. Her keen eyes fell apon tracks left in the fresh mud thatcovered the ground. Hoof prints, three no five, horses had come this way. She wondered. She brushed her loose hair out of her face and listened. Voices filtered out from up ahead. She walked Falasephales along and noticed three mounted riders and another figure standing tall in the path. She slipped into a shadow and crept closer.

Trees conceled her position as she stopped and held Falasephales still while she listened. Forna came up behind her but when the playful collie cought site of the 4 figures she barked exitedly and scampered out of the shadows towards them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2006, 4:25 pm 

Valeria sat by the window, looking out of her Minas Anor home. She was sewing something for a local neighbor. She was almost done with sewing. The urge to finish it fast was so tempting for the day was so beautiful outside and so dreary and gloomy inside but she knew she did her best work slowly and would never finish a job muddled. Once in awhile she would glance around the room as she took a short break from her work. Her house used to be so lively. She could imagine her and her brother sitting in the middle of the floor while her father told stories of old that would shock and scare them, make them laugh, or cry. She could still imagine her mother cooking in the kitchen with an amazing smile on her face. But as Valeria realized in life, good things never last. Her mother had never recovered from the loss of their father. Her brother grew into a man, and Valeria herself a woman. It had been many years since there was joy and laughter in their house. Valeria tried her best to put the spark back into her family that was once a glowing flame but it never fully came back. Valeria shook herself out of her flashbacks. Silly for her to live in past memories. She continued back to her work, which was about to be finished with just a few more quick moves of her needle.

Valeria stood up quickly feeling accomplished. She had finished her neighbor’s dress. She quickly folded it and then put on her cloak and disappeared out the door. She took a deep breath of the beautiful pure air around her. She loved being outside, feeling the warm sun upon her face. She walked slowly so that she could enjoy every moment of it. Finally, she reached her destination, which was only a couple doors down. She quietly knocked on the door. No answer. She knocked once more but again there was no answer. She shrugged and then left her parcel in front of the door. As she turned to walk back home there was a figure standing about 5 feet from her in silver armor, blocking the sun, she tried looking to see who it was, it was her brother!! “Vanûr” She exclaimed. “I thought that was you.” He said walking up to her. “What are you doing here? Don’t you have some type of soldier work to be doing?” He laughed a little at her comment. She wasn’t very smart with ‘soldier terms’ “I was just walking to my position. Which I probably should continue to now before I get in trouble for showing late. I shall see you this evening my dear sister.” She smiled and then walked by him but then she stopped and just looked at him as he began to walk off. He turned to see her still standing. “I’m proud of you.” She said. Looking at how much her brother had changed through the years. “I’m proud of you as well.” He said to her and turned around and continued to walk. She looked out from the wall she was standing at into the horizon. “What is there of me that he should be proud of?” She thought. She continued to gaze out at the horizon pondering so many things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2006, 7:42 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Turning to face the speaker, Elenanna was aware of the guards becoming alert. She looked at the human, before saying, "Milord. We are merely travelling to Osgiliath, desiring to see the King of Godnor before his death, and Lord Elrond of Rivendell wishes to either strenghten, or reform a bond between Gondor and Rivendell."

((OOC-will modify it if needed..))

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 10:33 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

tulk wrote:
(OOC: the capitol of Gondor is currently in Osgiliath, not Minas Tirith (which is currently called Minas Anor). However, the white tree is also in Osgiliath instead of Minas Tirith/Anor, so it will work out fine.

[I wouldnt agree fully on this with you tulk. The capitol city of Gondor was indeed Osgiliath but the White tree was located in Minas Anor! The white tree was a desendent from Nimloth that Isildur took from the island of Numenor, betteryet he stole the seed from Nimloth before learning that Al-Pharazon will cut it down under Saurons directive. Tis' same sapling he planted in Minas Ithil at first but before Sauron took it and burned the tree in 3429, Isildur snatched another seed and that same seed he planted in Minas Anor in the 2. T.A. in memory of his brother Anarion.. Nowhere it is stated that the tree was moved to Osgiliath]

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 11:34 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

(OOC: good call on that.

can't make a post now, too little time. I will tonight. /OOC)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 4:57 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

The sun was riding high but swift clouds raced from the north and frequently they did hide the bright sun as it cast long shadows throughout the city.

Ingold stood silently watching the streets from the shadows that the vast buildings of Osgiliath cast in different directions. He wore his full uniform and gear as always and prepared for battle. It was two mornings after the slaying of Ingold's father in the gloomy night. Images still rolled infront of his eyes with dread but by chance sun managed to clear the thoughts and visions to a certain extent. Once again there was that same weary silence in the streets as not many men or women walked abroad in the fear that was hanging in the air.

Soldiers clad in battle gear walked through the streets but some of them had an ill favoured look on their faces and were not to be trusted. Ingold was still an officer of higher rank and still beheld respect in the eyes of both Eldacar's and Castimir's followers for none of them had a clear nought where did Ingold belong. In that night two days ago nobody saw Ingold's face except one man alone that was now dead. Also his father that had slain the grim men in protection of the innocent was no more and his boat was out against the sundering sea. All evidence of Ingold being involved in the massacre had been removed.

Ingold strode out into the unshadowed parts of the streets with a firm step and a chisled face showing no emotion. His mind was set in getting to Minas Anor and try to find the remmenant of his battalion that remained true to him and give word of what has befallen. These are the only few men that he trusts, for they trust him in return alike.

Each soldier he passed by saluted to him in recognition of his rank and he replied back with the same firmness alike. Nobody knew or dared to know what his intentions were in this whole challange that broke the mighty kingdom apart in silence. Ingold could as well had been the main usrurper and a right hand of Castamir, but also a loyal follower of the Eldacar the half-blooded which he was in the truth along with being the soldier and guardian of Minas Anor.

He continued with his determened pace towards the stables where his horse was held ready to ride out to the Tower of the Setting Sun

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 5:45 pm 

Alaria stayed in her position, bent over the fallen animal, for several moments, until at last she knew for sure, by sound and sight, that her brother had indeed reached the road. She rose slowly and swept away a bit of fallen hair from her deep eyes, picking up the sound of Arandil's greeting. She began to walk, slow and with little noise, and she was soon no longer to be found in the clearing of the forest.
She brushed away many leafs and branches covering her path, staying, however, silent and concealed in what amount possible for a female Dúnedan with the curiosity of a squirrel. Alaria soon reached upon the point where she decided to go no further. The road was not four yards away, yet she managed to stay hid behind a rather broad tree, following the happenings with interest. One rider standing still upon the road, near Arandil, two following closely. And behold! A hound had joined also! Alaria grinned by the sight of the animal, wagging its tail merrily. She stepped upon a small, yet sturdy rock to allow herself a better view, reminding herself, however, soon to go back along the path to collect the stag. For even though other creatures would see that the proud deer had been pierced by the arrow, that of Men, they would boldly and without hesitation claim what was not rightfully theirs.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 7:13 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Arandil smiled, bowed, and extended his hand to the silvan lady, "A noble cause, indeed. My name is Arandil, son of Aragost, of Arthedain. My sister and I are also headed for Osgiliath, but on a journey of a different reason. You are welcome to ride with us, if you wish. What is your name, and those of your companions?"

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next