Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ROTR: Book 2 of the Fellowship Discussion (Tue and Wed.)
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 4:12 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

<center>
</center>

Sorry this has taken me till this time to post this. I am extending the discussion to all day saturday as well, but read what is suppose to be read on Saturday. For more information, Refer to the Writing Headquarters (Click my bottom banner to get there).

In this thread, you are able to discuss the First Part (Book 1) of the Fellowship of the Rings! Come up with discussion questions or topics and we will all help you better understand it!

<center><b>*Participation Points Eligible*</b></center>
If you don't know what this means, refer to the Writing Headquarters for more information!

Also, the Essay Questions will be accepted until tomorrow! We need a lot of people, so tell your friends.

[Commence Discussion]

*I have to go because its lightning outside and i dont want my computer zapped. I will be on late, if not of of, tonight!

Last edited by Telpeath on July 1st, 2008, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2008, 1:24 am 

Is no one wanting to discuss our dear Fellowship?

Ah, I will. With myself. So, do you think the book starts out slowly, or is backstory and detail a good thing? Tolkien, being the writing genius that he was, had a good flow with words. This makes the beginning, while slow, still a very nice read. Once Frodo decides to move to Crickhollow, it starts to pick up. The songs that Pippin sings are marvelous, and the meeting of Gildor and the elves is one of my favorite parts. The wisdom being passed on so early in the story promises much for what is to come. :yes: I especially love the foreshadowing he gives without really giving it: "The wide world is about you. You can fence yourselves in, but you cannot forever fence it out." Scouring of the Shire, anyone?

Tom Bombadil. Now there's an interesting character. I STILL have questions about him, even after having read the book time and time again. The lack of effect the ring has on him, his "control" so to say of the land, and himself altogether is an enigma. I truly wish we knew WHAT he was and what his role in Middle Earth as a whole was. The last and first? So confusing.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2008, 12:55 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You know, Tom is a very interesting charactor in the trilogy. He has such a promising outlook because it shows that some can say no to the ring. I also questioned his control and his free-will against the ring. I wish Tollkien could have went into further detail.

I think Tolkien created the beginning a little bit slower because he knew how things would speed up. The shire folk live "simple lives" carefree and live the day long (therefore such detail). Tolkien made us want to go back there. As the book gets more fast paced, we really want to go back to the simple and slow paced Hobbiton. Thats what i remember from reading those parts.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 1st, 2008, 12:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

*BUMP* Hey Everyone, today is Book 2 of Discussion for the reading series. I am just using 1 page per book so that we don't waste space.

Lets now talk about the second half (or all) of the book. Remember if you participate you get points!

(just to let you know, all the people who participated before this still get those counted, after this, the count is restarted! If you have any questions, please contact me)

Well, to start things off, i would really like to discuss the symbolism of Boromir's death. Did anyone catch what it really meant. I think it symbolized the death of Aragorn's Ranger side. It showed that there was still hope for Gondor in the darkening hours.

I think he also played a significant role as like a spark that lights a wildfire (played off gandalfs alliteration). Without Boromirs death, we could have expected there to be more troubles for the fellowship, maybe some unexpected deaths. Could you imagine Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Boromir traveling. I dont know, what do you all think.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 1st, 2008, 12:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think you're right Tel... But you could also look at it like the falling away of the need to hold out against your own personal sense of 'highness'. Boromir was proud, and it was actually the fall of his pride before his death which made such a big impact on he. And the humility he showed to Aragaorn.

We could also look at Gandalf's death that way. What was the symbolism behind that? My personal theory is that Tolkien had him die to show the death of the Old Ways. The book is based on his experience in the war, and Sauron and Saruman were the Industrial Revolution in a way. But in bringing him back, he shows us that the good in what's gone must be brought back - the respect we need to have towards this Earth and everything on it.

Im done trying to essay :P

And all will turn to silver glass...

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 1st, 2008, 1:24 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I really agree with that statement. Through all my research of Tolkien, he really hated everything once the steam engine was invented. He feels that war is no longer honorable. I whole-heartedly agree with that. Our wars today are not honorable. I kinda wish we could go back to the old ways of swords and arrows.

I also agree with the earth being brought back to the way it was. Galadriel also is an example of that. Although not in the fellowship, it was said that Galadriel used her ring of power to preserve Lothlorien so that it had no decay of the ages. I think it was clever of Tolkien to have symbolism just keep going after Gandalf's fall. Lothlorien, besides the shire, was a place of purity, a place that the troubles of the industry was unable to touch (although at the end of book three).

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2008, 5:33 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

*BUMP*

LAIME!!! Thats what this is. Sorry if this offensive, but we need some more readers, discussioners, starters, anybody. This next book, i hope to see a lot more of you here!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2008, 1:00 am 

Good points. I think both Gandalf's death and Boromir's death were necessary for the story to have the good outcome. As much as we lamented over both of them when they died not knowing (the first time) that Gandalf was coming back, it was truly necessary.

To take Gandalf's "death". Had he not fallen, Aragorn wouldn't have taken up being a leader. Most likely, the entire fellowship would've gone with Frodo (or at least made it farther than they had). That would've spelled disaster for both Rohan and Gondor, as Saruman would've become more powerful without Gandalf's intervention and Gondor would've fallen easily to Sauron due to Denethor's failure. The fellowship might have succeeded. It is possible that they could've made it the whole way. I doubt it though. I don't think they would have gotten through the Gate, and Gandalf would not have wanted to go to Cirith Ungol. So while the fellowship only saw sorrow and suffering as Gandalf fell, it altered their journey enough to truly make it possible.

As for Boromir, his death allowed the tension in the fellowship to disintegrate. Yes, he had bowed to Aragorn's right to be king. But the four probably would've had troubles even before making it to Rohan - if they decided to go there at all.

I do like the idea of Gandalf and Galadriel as symbols of the Old Ways. I'd never really thought of that before.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2008, 11:22 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

As they usually say, "Through the darkest of misery comes the greatest light, hope." I agree with you that all would have been lost if these key people hadn't died. I somewhat wonder what aragorn would have done had he not been a leader after Gandalf's death. Would he have taken the throne or not, who knows. All we do know is that without Gandalf's death,he would have still remained a ranger.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2008, 10:46 am 
Vala
Vala

OK, this is a slightly old thread, but now I want to post. :-P

I think there's another purpose Boromir's death served: it reminded Aragorn of who he was and what he was fighting for. Aragorn had been torn by doubt and uncertainty for some time. Boromir's death I think provided some clarity: he was fighting to save this world, these people, and to regain the high kingdom that belonged to him.

Boromir's sacrifice I think really hit home for him. I believe sacrifice is one of the purest, if not the very purest, forms of love. I think it gave Aragorn hope for his race to see the love, the passion, the valor displayed by Boromir.

So basically, I think Boromir's death really helped Aragorn to focus on his ultimate goal.

There will come a time with no more tears
and love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2008, 11:10 pm 

Sorry to butt in an ruin this awesome discussion, but are we talking about TTT? Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Boromir's death wasn't until TTT [contrary to what the movies dictate]. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 2:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well, we are behind in discussion threads, so we can talk about that!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2008, 5:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I agree with what Altariel Frodo said (awesome statement there) Boromir's death was a real kick in the pants for Aragorn to get going, but what about Gandalf's fall? I think it helped him to become a real leader since he had the burden to keep the fellowship together?