Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently May 22nd, 2024, 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: A-U Revival: layout & coding
PostPosted: May 18th, 2011, 5:48 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I know what you mean Haldir, so please don't feel your alone with this. I understand completely, and I hope perhaps if we sort something out, you might be willing to join us again, if you feel things are moving.

There are truly many things we (the coders etc) could be doing. I want to remove the old graphics, and get the pages ready for new ones. I want to delete the fanart and get the page ready for Raina. I want to start adding the bios as soon as I can. And the gallery? Tsk. Don't even go there.

This is something we coders need to get sorted among ourselves but if we overhaul AU - I don't see WHY we can't add or remove stuff from pages beforehand.

So I think.... that each of us should simply say "I am going to be doing this" and then we do it... without fear of what others might say (especially if we're only doing stuff you guys either left to us to sort out or you have told us what you would or wouldn't like)... and then there will be some sort of sign on the site that stuff is happening.

Doesn't that sound good?

Because I really, really want to get some things tidied and straightened out so YOU guys can see and know that we are doing stuff. It's obvious we're willing but just waiting.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 18th, 2011, 5:52 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^Removing things before getting new things in really shouldn't be a problem. It may leave the site looking empty, but at least it's doing something.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 10:34 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

And this is what I've said before, that having more people involved with a task that really only takes one person to do is doing more 'harm' than good, so to speak.

That's why I decided to step up and make the skin on my own because I knew that if we would have decided to make it a team effort, we'd still be debating what shade of green to use.

In a situation like this, it really gets you nowhere. I can totally understand Haldir's frustration. I think the time has come to stop being afraid of stepping on any toes. If you have something ready, just go for it!

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 11:24 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Arwen the webmaster wrote:

Back to the Header!

What do you guys think of the sample Arwen gave us? I know it wasn't meant to be the one, but I don't know about everyone else, I love it. The colour, the softness.

I know Nicole has tried to create the header, but I haven't seen her around for a little while. Should we go with Arwen's or would someone else like to try? Maybe replicate Arwen's design with different effect on the font or a different colour?

I woul give it a go, but I can't do curved text and this we need. Once we get this header completely sorted the coders can change the layout to suit.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 7:59 am 
Balrog
Balrog

I liked the colors and stuff of Nicole's work better, tbh. Only the text was difficult to read. Could we maybe PM Nicole and ask if she's up for some more work on it?

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 8:28 pm 
Ent
Ent

Hello, hello! I am so sorry I have been gone the past - I do not even know. I am actually still really busy, I won't get much time in this weekend as I have two concerts Saturday and Sunday, and then another on Tuesday, but I will see what I can do when I get home on nights.

I do see Haldir's point - I think you all trust each others' vision to go ahead with certain things and make the changes yourselves instead of waiting and waiting. And if it ends up bad, we can always modify it!

I will take another stab at the navigation. I am just at a loss as to what font I should use (I find it readable but I completely understand other opinions). Any suggestions? :happy: One of the more "professional" LotR fonts would be good. I guess Ringbearer is nice but it is so overused...I will see what I can do and try to come up with multiple options. And we can always go with other non-LotR-related fonts that fall within the same style. ^^

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 8:44 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I thought the font was very readable, Nicole! But I often find most fonts readable, hehe.

I don't know which one you used but here are some Tolkien-esque ones that you could try (with random key words that would appear in the site menu):

http://www.dafont.com/fanjofey-ah.font? ... um+Gallery
http://www.dafont.com/hobbiton-brush-ha ... um+Gallery
http://www.dafont.com/first-order.font? ... um+Gallery
http://www.dafont.com/bilbo-hand.font?t ... um+Gallery
http://www.dafont.com/hobbiton.font?tex ... um+Gallery
http://www.dafont.com/party-business.fo ... um+Gallery
http://www.dafont.com/unzialish.font?te ... um+Gallery
http://www.dafont.com/aon-cari-celtic.f ... um+Gallery
http://www.dafont.com/aniron.font?text= ... um+Gallery
http://www.dafont.com/ale-and-wenches.f ... um+Gallery

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2011, 11:56 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Not a big news flash or anything, but I thought I would let you guys know that all the BACK TO GALLERY links are working now, so no more broken links there. :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 1:05 pm 

Do we think we can set the forum default to green now? I know we said to wait until kinks were worked out/people had their say, but I think it's been long enough.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 1:14 pm 

I was thinking the same! Since Eru hasn't been around lately we might ask Arweb to do it when she re-arranges the forum according to Le Great Plan, how's that? :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 5:26 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Agreed :) Doesn't seem like anyone has very much to complain about anyway. And if they did, they've had their time to let us know by now ;)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 1st, 2011, 6:43 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I'm here and I can set it to default if you want to! :) Or should we still ask Arweb if it's ok to go ahead with it?

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 5:30 am 

^I'll poke Arweb about it.

So concerning the coding.. What I'm going to say might come off a little harsh but I hope the entire coding team will take it as tough love. I just think we need to have the discussion on the coding again and perhaps talk about how we want to proceed here. :)

I understand that people are busy but we also have an issue here. The community agreed that variuos groups should step up and offer their help in different parts of the site and forum. A lot has been completed already which is great but most of us have no idea of what is going on with the coding. I'm sure all of us understand if you guys are busy but at least you could let us know? Perhaps we need a couple of new people to join your team to help you out on certain pages?

I think it's a great idea that you want to make it a team process and make it a learning experience for everyone but the site suffers from lack of visible changes. The community is kept waiting and the Revival is stalling here. Perhaps we have to settle for the next-to-perfect solutions in the first place in order to get the ball rolling..?
How does the team management function now? Is there anything that can be done by single people from the team without it affecting the Greater Plan for the coding etc?

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 8:41 am 

The type of coding changes Tel and Elberethsq were talking about is beyond my knoweldge. If it was up to me, I'd just be doing a simple CSS switch, since we don't need all the tables and things Arweb was using. If we the larger community wants to see change, I can do that. As I don't know where Tel and Elbereth went to, I don't know how soon the other stuff would get done.

However, we still don't have the header done. And that's stalling any sort of layout update we could do.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 9:37 am 

Thanks Nurr, I have no idea where we'll land in this but I wanted to throw it out there. My opinion is that we might need to try out other solutions now - we started out with one model but since it didn't work well perhaps we need to go for something simpler, like you said. To get things moving.

Other opinions? :-)

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 11:15 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I have to agree with Nurr. :yes:

The overhaul wanted by Tel and Elb, I don't really know visually how that would affect AU. Would it just make the coding look neater for anyone wanting to check it? Would it make it easier for people to amend data if all or most of us are used to the standard HTML stuff?

Because while I agree, if we had the header we could just change what we have now, to what we want colours wise etc, I'm still not convinced that taking the road of re-doing AU's coding which is already taking time, is worth it if we take even longer. AU hasn't blown up with the coding it has now, so...... yeah that's about it really.

And I'm sorry it's taking me so long to get rid of the old graphics and put it new ones. I guess people don't/won't notice the old stuff gone until the new ones are added. I have a list of small coding jobs that I keep forgetting to post on the coding thread that maybe someone else could look at for me as well. :duh

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next