Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: A-U Revival: staff/administration
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 4:51 am 

Here is a list of everyone who is a moderator of A-U. Many of them may be long gone - and a lot of them I have never even heard of. But this is just to give an overview of the moderators so we might reach out to them if we have any contact info on them. Poking them on facebook or DeviantArt or email or whatever may help and the ones we reach might have other contacts. And I believe Ammy offered to put together a letter for them if needed. I'm not saying that we should search all of Middle-earth to get them back. I don't believe we'll get more than a couple to be involved anyway but at least they should be given the option before we replace them with a new staff team.

Names in bold are moderators who has been active recently.

Alatariel
Arsaniel
Arwëon
Bellethiel
Belowen
Elanor
Eleniel
Elvawen
Eruadan
Evenstar
FRODOFAN
Herenya
InsanelyGiddy1
Ivreniel
Jo
Kitoky
Master-of-Tookland
Maetharanel
Medivh
Miremiel (llama)
Nienor
..Rumil..
Sidawethiel
SwordofNankar, the
Thenidiel
tindomerel
Tulk
Valaraukar
vikingmaiden

MODERATORS ON DUTY FOR THE NEW A-U
- Sidawethiel
- Kitoky

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Last edited by on February 6th, 2011, 4:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 5:07 am 
Futon-Revolutionist
Futon-Revolutionist

i'm interested to see how this turns out, especially since we haven't seen many of these folks since 2006.

sida and ivy are currently fairly active, elanor posted at least once this year, and ammy is in contact with kit on facebook.

is anyone in contact with any mods on facebook/aim/msn? most of their contact information we have access to on the forum is completely outdated

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 5:14 am 

I know... besides the ones you already mentioned I have no clue if the others would even remember A-U so this is probably a topic that we can close pretty soon and move on - however, it is still needed at the moment I think. :-)

I have seen Nienor and Alatariel posting.. I think within the last few months. Ivy mentioned that she stays in contact with a couple of the mods too.

And Arweb might still talk to some of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 5:48 am 
Futon-Revolutionist
Futon-Revolutionist

it'd be awesome if we got someone like tulk to come back.

it's encouraging that we've got at least four who still pop in form time to time. hopefully we can get in touch with ivy soon, i'd like to see who she knows.

when this particular mission is over and we've made contact we could just make it into a general moderation thread. we'll need a place to discuss new/old mods for the chat/tag and figure out what we're going to do about administrator powers, etc. and that's a pretty natural continuation of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 7:57 am 

Yeah, I miss FRODOFAN too and Jo, she was fun and our only Aussie moderator. And Herenya and vikingmaiden who were always up for a good LotR/book discussion!! Those were the days... :P

I'm gonna go PM the mod-account to see who is still active.

Tim:: I edited the topic title. Actually, I just figured this would be a temporary thread whereupon (not often you get a chance to say whereupon! :teehee:) we could start another on actual staff/administration topics later on... we'll see how to deal with that I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 10:09 am 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Just on idea: if one were to look up these names in the member list, how many would have the little email icon on their profile?

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 3:01 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Is this a place to recommend/sponsor new candidates?

I do hope I'm not being too presumptuous but given the long list of moderators that seem to be inactive, I do believe it is time we should talk about new moderators.

For myself, I believe that anyone interested in becoming a moderator should get a nomination from one of the members and then be voted upon. We should also consider how many new moderators would actually be needed or if in fact we need new ones at all.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 9:01 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I personally think that if we're going to be choosing new moderators, that 'both sides' are represented to balance it out. And by that I mean, conservative-minded and liberal-minded people. People of faith and people of no faith. People from the Western Hemisphere and the Eastern Hemisphere. Teenagers and adults. Males and females.

You get the point. :)

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 4:18 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

ErulissëEnethNîn wrote:
I personally think that if we're going to be choosing new moderators, that 'both sides' are represented to balance it out. And by that I mean, conservative-minded and liberal-minded people. People of faith and people of no faith. People from the Western Hemisphere and the Eastern Hemisphere. Teenagers and adults. Males and females.

You get the point. :)

Surely though ability should come first?

Not that I'm arguing with you, but I'd rather people were chosen on how well they would do the job, rather than where they live, who they like to sleep with or if they believe in God.

There is a great mixture of people here on AU, the chances of getting all the same like minded people together is going to be pretty unlikely. Unless people think that's how people will choose candidates based on what their personal opinions are.

I know I'm looking for people who will do a good job and if a person happens to be the third in the group who likes X or supports X, well that's how it is.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 4:25 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Lol, and I can assure you Ellie, sometimes we do definitely need a manly view here. :yes:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 4:53 pm 

Johnny's Fan wrote:
Surely though ability should come first?

Not that I'm arguing with you, but I'd rather people were chosen on how well they would do the job, rather than where they live, who they like to sleep with or if they believe in God.

Totally *like* ... seriously, when are we changing our communication to facebook talk? Why do we even need words when you can press 'thumps up'... *coughcough* Umm.. sorry... so inappropriately off-topic! :teehee:

But yeah, I understand Eru's point.. and Ellie's reason for choosing/finding/electing an administration team. But perhaps it does actually come down to who actually wants it, who has the time, and the interest in stepping up and doing it. We might not be so fortunate to be able to pick and choose between such a wide palette of members. I would prefer someone commited and able to do the job! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 5:22 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Out of all the 282390420 moderators here on A-U, only a select few are 'on the other side of the fence'. The majority of them have been leaning in the other direction. It's not exactly been fair game here.

Of course ability is top priority, but since personal beliefs and opinions often dictate the way you're treating issues and deal with controversy (whether you're aware of it or not), I say it matters a great deal where you stand.

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 5:32 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

That may be true, but looking back there were also many issues that the Mods in question dealt with, and even being on that "side", they didn't deal with it any differently than anyone else.

I know a few people on here who are on a "side" and have maturely handled dealing with the other "side". Alternatively I have seen people almost going to great lengths to upset the other "side". So again, it will boil down to maturity, ability and also trust.

As Ea said, it might not be easy to pick and choose such character/opinions from the people willing and able to do the job.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 5:45 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

So, maybe first we should create a list of people who are willing to be mods, as well as have the time, and the ability/maturity(though sometimes it's harder to judge someone's maturity level just through internet posts. So we'd only have to go by what little we know of each person).

But one thing I'd like to put is from a link from the very top sticky thread on the suggestions and comments subforum:

Quote:
What I've been asked the most is how these people got the jobs, and why they did. Here's a bit of the rundown:

First, I scanned the forum for people who had been coming to the site for a while, posted/visited often, didn't start fights, were usually calm and mature, were usually non-partisan, could be serious or silly at the right times, were easy-going enough to not take insults and spats seriously, and followed the rules. I expect that there are more than just ten people who fit most of the qualifications, but not many fit all of them. With my scan-list in mind, I posted a thread on the mod discussion board, and the existing moderators gave me their opinions on the people I had picked. We went back and forth, bickered, and finally narrowed down the list. No one could completely agree on the final call, so I made that decision myself. I contacted the people who made the final list, all of them fortunately agreed to moderate, and there you have it.

There are a few other things I'd like to point out:

1) Hardly any of the recently-appointed mods (or the older ones) had asked to be moderators. Yes, a few did, but for the most part I brought up the issue.

2) The recent mods were picked mainly because I had gotten to know them through talking to them personally, or watching how they interacted with others. There were quite a few people on the un-narrowed-down moderator list, but many of them no one knew very well, and since we didn't want to take chances, we figured it was best to stick with people we knew a little better.

3) Right now, with about 30 people total on the mod team, it is very unlikely that I will take on any other moderators. This means that even if you fit all the qualifications I laid out, it's almost certain that for now I won't add you to the team. If in the future there's a need for more moderators, and I think that you'd make a good mod, I'll contact you about it: please do not contact me first, because it can get awkward if I have to turn you down.

Weeelll...I think that's it. If there's anything else you want to know about moderators that I haven't already addressed, feel free to PM me

Thanks for reading this, and hopefully you now have a better understanding of how the moderating team works!

~Arwen

And from this I think that maybe the people who should be made the new mods should be nominated and not be volunteers. But that's just what I gather from what Arweb said(that quote is quoting her).

And with having a variety of different kinds of people... I think we're going to get that no matter who gets chosen(excapt that this is a female-majority-rule here, so getting one of the guys as a mod would be nice because men and women tend to think differently). But I think that it should be more of who is willing and able instead of worrying about variety.

But one this that we should ask is how many moderators do we need? How many should be appointed? And more importantly, how many old moderators might we be able to get back?

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 5:48 pm 

Eruraina wrote:
But one this that we should ask is how many moderators do we need? How many should be appointed? And more importantly, how many old moderators might we be able to get back?

I feel like this should be the thing sorted out first. What old mods are coming back? And then, with that in mind, how many more would be needed? Then it would make sense to go into who gets picked or how.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 5:48 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I think this is probably where we need some advice from the Mods.

How many do they think we will need? [because we don't truly know how much behind the scene work their is]
Can they name anyone who should be nominated?
Will any old Mod come back?

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next