Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~ The Roadhouse ~
PostPosted: July 9th, 2017, 9:28 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian awoke to the noise of the fire crackling. The rain had nearly stopped, and the light was coming. He looked over to Tali and Will still asleep, and nodded. He was going to take them to Minas Tirith. He then looked over at Dauwna who started to stir. There was more to her than she was willing to say. Durian thought of all the times he and Bereck talked from the time they had gathered to Halbarad. Why did he not ever mention he had a wife?

"Good Morning!"

Durian said as Dauwna as she lifted her head. He pushed a chipped cup of fresh tea toward her across the table. He looked over at Tali and Will as they started to stir. They must not have had a restful night in some time, and the fact they felt safe here and was able to stay mostly dry under the decrepit roof of this roadhouse must have been quite a relief for them. He considered what they would need as far as suply in Bree, and considered procuring a wagon so they would not have to ride a horse over the long distance. He would ask their preference once they were awake.

(OOC: Hoping my co-writers are doing well and enjoying life! :) )

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 3:20 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Tali pushed her brother's arm back when he almost elbowed her in the face. Will mumbled an apology sitting up and shaking the sleep from his head. Tali lay there for a moment longer, wondering if last night had all been a dream. But no, they were here and the woman and man were here as well. Durian who knew their father, who knew what happened that night.

Pushing her dark hair out of her face she rubbed her eyes, glancing at her brother as he moved quickly to fold up the blanket. They were used to moving very quickly and leaving no trace of their presence behind. Tali looked over at her oilskin bag, which held her bow and arrows. Maybe she could find something...

But wait, they were going with the man to Bree. She would have to hope for something on the road.

"Morning," Will said softly.

"Morning," she whispered back.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2017, 7:02 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian looked over as Will and Tali stirred. They sat up, and Durian said to them,

"Morning to you m'lady Tali and good sir Will. There is still some dried fruit and meat here if you are hungry. Come, eat up! We have a long day ahead. I want to make it to Bree before nightfall. Are you two ready to travel?"

Durian dropped a few stale nuts into his mouth as he looked back over at Dauwna.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2017, 11:10 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

"Morning to you m'lady Tali and good sir Will. There is still some dried fruit and meat here if you are hungry. Come, eat up! We have a long day ahead. I want to make it to Bree before nightfall. Are you two ready to travel?"

Tali hesitated, staring at the dried fruit and meat. Compared to what they had been eating these past few days it was a feast. Hesitantly, she snatched a few pieces, dividing it with her brother.

"We are ready," Will nodded, taking a bite.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2017, 6:50 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

(OOC - Sorry Moryar and Durian, I have been off the radar for a bit. I moved house and started a new job, and attempted a new relationship so my time was taken up with things in life. Anyway, two out of three worked out. I ended the relationship before we got too far in as I could see clearly that we were not going to work out in the long run. So yeah. I will make an attempt to pick this up)

Dauwna was not much of a morning person, but she finally drank the tea Durian gave her before it was too cold. She smiled at Tali and Will as they ate some of the trail rations. She said as she stood and stretched, trying to work a kink out of her neck from sleeping in a sitting position.
"Well, if you are ready, I will go out and see how the horses are."
She patted Durian on the shoulder as she walked past, heading for the door. She grabbed her bags and went out the back.

She checked her horse and readied him to ride. The skies were blue and the sun was yet above the treesm but the chill wind blew and the clouds raced by, spitting misty drops as they passed.She for a moment considered riding off, leaving Durian and the children, but what gain would she get by doing that. Besides, he had the best information about Bereck, and she liked the young ones. She prepared Durian's horse, and brought them around the front before returning inside.
"The horses are well fed and itching to go. Which of you want to ride with me?"
She looked at Tali and Will before looking to Durian.

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 11th, 2017, 7:25 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

With Dauwna waking and going to ready the horses, Durian sat down with Will and Tali. He said,

"You two have not traveled much outside these parts of this wide world. On our road to the south, there will be much you will see and hear.Much will be beautiful. but some may not be so. Will, you have unique abilities, and your sharp hearing will help us avoid danger, especially at night. For though the was has been won and Elessar is King of the North and South, there are still evils that lurk. If you would like, I can help you both with skills of the sword and bow along the way. Now come, get what you need and let us go!"

Dauwna came in then and asked,

"Which of you want to ride with me?"

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 16th, 2017, 8:36 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

"You two have not traveled much outside these parts of this wide world. On our road to the south, there will be much you will see and hear.Much will be beautiful. but some may not be so. Will, you have unique abilities, and your sharp hearing will help us avoid danger, especially at night. For though the was has been won and Elessar is King of the North and South, there are still evils that lurk. If you would like, I can help you both with skills of the sword and bow along the way. Now come, get what you need and let us go!"

Will listened with fascination. No one had ever spoken to him like this, telling him that his blindness was an ability and not a curse. He grabbed their pack before his sister could and stood up just as Dauwna reentered the building.

"Which of you want to ride with me?" she asked.

Will spoke up before Tali could answer, "Tali can."

Tali squeezed his hand thankfully, before grabbing their pack from him.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2017, 6:04 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian nodded at Will's answer, and he turned to Dauwna and said,

"The earlier we go, the sooner we reach Bree."

He turned to Tali and Will and said,

"If you two have anything you wish to bring, go get it and we'll secure it to the horses. But with the morning sun, we should ride, for it is near twenty leagues to Bree."

Durian collected what was left of the dried meat and fruit and stowed it away. He then walked over to the bar and checked the wares Dauwna had retrieved from the underground larder. He left it there. He said as he picked up his satchel and walked over to Dauwna.

"Our horses are good, but with provision and a second rider, it will take two days. I hope to get ten leagues this first day if the road is good and there was no fallen trees or washouts."

He looked over at Tali and Will as they got themselves ready to travel.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2017, 9:05 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dauwna settled her horse and Tali came up to let him give her a good sniff. He settled with the resignation that he would have two riders this day, and stood still while Tali secured the pack she had. Dauwna asked,
"Have you much experience with horses? I hope to find one for you and Will when we get to Bree, then you two can ride together."
Dauwna gave Tali a soft smile as she checked the bindings of the packs, and when she was ready, she said,
"You will ride behind me, so be sure to hold on. He likes to get on edge to go sometime."
Dauwna mounted up and gave a hand to Tali who slid up behind her.

(OOC I do hope to be better at writing here. I had quite some time learning my new job, but I think now I can start spending some time again being on a computer for pleasure)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 11th, 2017, 10:44 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

The four rode south in the chill damp morning. The sun may have broke through the clouds early, but it was not long before it had risen above the far edge of the coulds. The winds gusted and blew water from the trees onto them as if it was raining. They bundled close to fend off the chill.

It was only about an hour when they ran into their first obstacle. What was normally a small stream had become a torrent, and the small wooden bridge that crossed had one end washed out. Durian weighed up the chance of having their horses jump it, but the ground on the far side looked soft and could give way under the landing feet of the horses. They would have to go upstream where Durian knew of a shallower, if wider, crossing was. They just had to get over the high hills that shielded the road.

”Dauwna, follow me, There is a ford on the other side of this ridge. Getting to it could be tricky, but I think it can be done.”

Durian looked at the best way to go from the roadside.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: ~Adventures From The Roadhouse ~
PostPosted: October 13th, 2017, 12:35 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dauwna looked at the wash out and then up and down stream. She asked Durian,
“How long ago have you been to this ford? Even if it was not long ago, the amount of water running through here would make even a ford crossing dangerous.”
She looked again at the wash out, and if she was riding alone she would try jumping, but she would not endanger Tali. She sighed,
“I suppose we should go and see if it is possible to cross.”
Durian led the way with his horse climbing up the muddy slope. Will held on and Dauwna followed.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 9:57 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

The trees were close and tangled, and Durian led his horse on the easiest path he could find. Coming back down to the stream, he could see that the old ford had eroded in the high water. He sighed as he dismounted.

”Hold on Will, I need to look closer to see if we can cross here.”

Dauwna and Tali came down the slope and they held up next to Will. Durian said,

”I think we can cross, but we will need to lead the horses.”

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 7th, 2017, 9:15 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dauwna looked at the crossing and didn’t like the depth or the swiftness.
“We would have likely the same chance had we jumped the old bridge. Maybe we don’t lead the horses, but just ride across and hope for the best.”
Dauwna didn’t hesitate. She said,
Ready Tali? Hang on; we’re going to get wet.”
She kicked her horse forward, and he drove into the torrent and worked to get his footing. The water wanted t push them over, but he stayed true and made it up the far bank. Dauwna and Tali were soaked on their left sides, but Dauwna called out.
“Yeah! We ladies made it! Your turn!”
Dauwna steadied her horse as she and Tali watched.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 2:59 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian looked surprised that Dauwna was able to navigate through the river so easily. Her horse was valiant to ride in with more than one on its back. He looked at the water dripping from Dauwna and Tali, and he said,

”Ok Will, they are on the other side. We are going in, and we will get wet, so hang on tight.”

Durian felt the grip tighten, and his horse plunged forward. The water pushed up their sides, and with some hesitation that almost led to them being washed downstream, his horse managed to pull them through. They came riding up and paused by Dauwna and Tali. He said,

”That was invigorating! Now it’s back through these trees to find the road.”

Dauwna turned around and set off picking the path of least resistance. It was likely the old road that had come to the nearly destroyed ford. Durian followed closely, hoping to make Bree’s gate before it closed for the night. It was unlikely, though. They would likely have to camp by the road somewhere.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 9:01 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dauwna wanted to get as far as they could, but it became clear that the road was in bad condition and they had to work their way around rockfalls and felled trees. They were still may leagues from Bree when night fell, and they looked for a place to sleep for the night. Tali shivered, but Will looked stoic and strong. They all were still wet from the river crossing and the water falling from the branches. They weren’t going to find anywhere dry either. Dauwna said,
“Maybe we let the young one sleep in the shelter, and we rough it out here. Do you think it is safe to build a fire?”
She looked at Durian as he searched the darkness and looked at Will to see if he heard anything unusual.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 17th, 2017, 10:47 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

It seemed quiet, and Will didn't notice anything, so Durian set a fire for them to camp by. He said,

"At least we'll be in Bree in the morning and can get a decent breakfast at the Prancing Pony."

He had a blaze from the twigs and set some logs around to keep it going through the night.

(OOC - Not sure where this is going as Moryár has been MIA for three months now. Deumeawyn, you still interested? Carry this to Bree and see what happens? If nothing then I'll just let this go dormant)

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next